Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What is it with me and these DDR arcade games?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thejaw
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: What is it with me and these DDR arcade games?!? Reply with quote

ok, so i'll be playing ddr at home on my metal pad, and i'll get AAA's and everything, and it's fine. then, i'll go to an arcade and play ddr and get a ton of greats, sometimes even more than perfects frust.gif !!! am i doing something wrong?
View users profile Send private message
NIQ9
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, the arcade pads are less sensitive and on top of that, the timing windows are tighter at the arcade. I have about 100 home version AAAs and only 5 or so at the arcade.
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way i can do better, like step harder? E19.gif
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the pads have sensitivity issues, you could always try to find another machine. When I visit arcades nowadays, I often try some songs on light/easy to test the pads. You could always try playing on easier difficulties to improve your timing. I have played some machines that sort of require a little harder stepping for accurate step registration, but didn't I hear that stepping too hard is bad for people's health or something? If you find the pads are not adequately sensitive, try asking someone to work on them.

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of suggestions and thoughts people could share on what could make someone a better arcade player. I'll offer a few quick and easy things you should consider.

Depending on the arcade, the pads may be more or less responsive. if you're a small, light weight player who us used to barely tapping an arrow, it will probably not work in the arcade. One technique many players adopt is called "Flat Footing".

Not only does Flat Footing generally help increase your accuracy, it also allows your entire foot to contact the arrow, giving you a greater chance at triggering the sensors underneath. This isn't going to eliminate pad misses if you're playing on a really bad arcade machine, but it is better than tapping lightly. Here's a quote I made in another thread regarding flat footing:
Suko wrote:

Flat footing is just as it sounds, you attempt to apply the entire surface of your foot onto an arrow with each step. This does a few things:

-Minimizes the chances for a "pad miss" due to one or more faulty sensors.
-Makes your stepping more consistent. If your entire foot is consistently being applied to the arrow with each step, there will be less variances in "springing" back from each step as you would if you were playing on the balls of your feet.
-Playing this way does take more energy, because all the kinetic force is being pushed straight into the pad and sensors and less of that energy is being used to "rebound" your foot (as is the case when you play on the balls of your feet).

Some may argue with me on these points, but if you are truly "flat foot" playing, then these effects are usually accurate. Flat footing has significantly increased many player's accuracy. However, I know that with my experience, it drastically reduces my stamina and abilities to "pass" more difficult songs. When I do pass them, my grade is usually very respectable. However, unless I start using the balls of my feet to reduce kenetic energy loss, I will run out of steam when trying to pass 12 step songs flat footing.

If you're used to playing at home, then the arcade's timing windows will be brutal to you. The home versions of DDR have always had considerably larger timing windows. Unfortunately, most console DDR games don't let you adjust how wide or narrow the timing window is, but if you download Stepmania ( http://www.stepmania.com/ ) you can go into the options setting and make the timing window "tighter" and more like the arcade. Short of playing on an arcade machine or stepmania, there's not an easy way to get yourself accustomed to these narrow timing windows.

Lastly, try and play at an arcade that has a lot of good, regular players. If there's a lot of good players around, it means the machine is probably in decent shape and the sensors work OK. Also, you can learn from those who're better than you.

It might seem intimidating, especially if you're a noob, but we all had to start somewhere. Generally players are willing to help if you ask a question. Watch some of the better players perform, and pay attention to how they move and hit the arrows and see if you can incorporate those techniques when you play. It might not end up being your method of playing, but it's a good way to start learning the more advanced stuff.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack

Last edited by Suko on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, once you get past the basics, like reading arrows easily and gaining some stamina to play harder songs, playing at home will hinder your ability to get better. If you intend to get good scores, I recommend not playing at home at all, or at least realizing that it is not comparable to arcade play and should not be looked at as practice.

It is also easier to play stamina songs at home, so you may find you can't pass certain songs at the arcade too.

The "learning from good players" advice is pure gold. I routinely play with players much better than me, and I have improved tenfold in the time I have played with them compared to before I met them. Find an arcade you can get a good (maybe "inside") deal on tokens, and play a lot!
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepping harder could help if the pads aren't the best, but it will hinder your stamina and make it more difficult to do quicker songs. Pretty much all you can do is find a well-kept machine and practice on it regularly to improve your timing. I'm not going to go very much into it though since everyone else has covered pretty much everything there is to cover.
Basic Member
Basic Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks!!!
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
Honestly, once you get past the basics, like reading arrows easily and gaining some stamina to play harder songs, playing at home will hinder your ability to get better. If you intend to get good scores, I recommend not playing at home at all, or at least realizing that it is not comparable to arcade play and should not be looked at as practice.

So, what would you consider reading arrows easily, playing 1x on 10's without memorization? And what would be the stamina standard? Would you also state the same about StepMania (pad or keyboard) or FlashFlashRevolution in terms of not being good practice compared to the arcade? I used to play mostly at home mainly due to the fact the closest arcade location is about an hour drive from where I am currently located (although that will change soon). Lately, I almost seem to be getting worse (I cannot pass a single 10, and I can pass only some nines -- I have failed some sevens and eights recently although that was at home). My home pads are not in very good shape either. What makes stamina songs easier at home, and what did you mean by "inside" deal on tokens?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
Would you also state the same about StepMania (pad or keyboard) or FlashFlashRevolution in terms of not being good practice compared to the arcade?

What makes stamina songs easier at home, and what did you mean by "inside" deal on tokens?

I would say that yes, Stepmania can make you better at the arcade, especially if you narrow the timing window in SM. But I don't think it helps at all with your physical technique. I think SM and the simulation games that you play w/ your hands are training you to read the arrow patterns and perfect your rhythm. However, if all you do is play on a keyboard, it's still going to be a rough transition to the actual AC pads.

Stamina songs easier? Well, not having a bar sure will make it difficult. Having a good pad, like an Afterburner or CF would definitely help. I'm not much of a stamina player myself, but I know there's a stamina guide out there somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it atm.
EDIT: found it!
http://studionyami.com/penfifteen/staminaguide_v11.html

What he means by an "inside deal" is basically to become a regular at a location. The more often you play, the more the people working there will remember you. Depending on circumstances or whatever, they may be willing to cut you a deal on tokens/quarters because of how much you play. Don't bank on this however, because you can frequent a place for years and never get anything handed to you.

I have a personal example of this "inside deal". At the arcade I played at through college, there was a dude who worked there almost every time I went. He liked DDR and was getting pissed at the maintenance techs who never properly fixed the pads. One day I offered to do what I could, and he agreed to let me inside the machine. After about an hours worth of moving sensors around, cleaning out the pad, and degaussing the screen, our machine was back up to good working order. Because of this, we got more and more people congregating at the arcade, which meant more revenue for the owner. In repayment for my services, I basically got half off whenever that guy was working and I wanted to play that machine for the next year or two until I left. I would periodically tweak and maintenance the pad, and in turn, I got a good, working DDR machine to play on at a discount price.

Whew, that was a long story, but I enjoyed telling it. happy.gif

thejaw
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i got stepmania! so now how do i make the timing windows tighter?
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's in options, most likely.

Technick
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing window is a lot different. Make sure the arcade you are playing at has good pads. If you are getting random BOO'S it is most likely the pads. If you need help forming a good arcade technique just contact me, I have a lot of experience.
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah i guess i need help lol. no boos, only greats disgust.gif .

where in the options is the narrow timing windows? thanx for being patient with me!! riiight.gif

btw is there any way that i can play stepmania on a metal pad/mat for PS2?
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
So, what would you consider reading arrows easily

I wouldn't condsider it in terms of speed mods or song difficulty. When I say "reading easily", I guess what I mean is that the limiting factor to you passing a song is physical. You can read the arrows and not get confused, but you are too slow or do not have enough stamina to complete certain songs.

If you are still getting confused and stepping on the wrong arrows or having to stop in the middle of a song, then your arrow reading is limiting you.

I have no idea what "standard" stamina would be...I guess passing 10s is pretty decent? For DDR, if you can pass 9s without being tired (or just a little tired) then you are probably good to start focusing on scores.

Suko covered what I mean about inside deals.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thejaw wrote:

where in the options is the narrow timing windows? thanx for being patient with me!! riiight.gif

http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Stepmania.ini#Timing_Windows
or
http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95076

thejaw wrote:

btw is there any way that i can play stepmania on a metal pad/mat for PS2?

Depends on your dance pad. But the one I use for my Cobalt Flux is/was the Trio Linker Plus.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-528.html

Just look for some PS2 to USB converters. Most of them usually will work, but it's not guaranteed.

suneelkumar85
Basic Member
Basic Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're used to playing at home, then the arcade's timing windows will be brutal to you. The home versions of DDR have always had considerably larger timing windows. Unfortunately, most console DDR games don't let you adjust how wide or narrow the timing window is, but if you download Stepmania ( http://www.stepmania.com/ ) you can go into the options setting and make the timing window "tighter" and more like the arcade. Short of playing on an arcade machine or stepmania, there's not an easy way to get yourself accustomed to these narrow timing windows.

Lastly, try and play at an arcade that has a lot of good, regular players. If there's a lot of good players around, it means the machine is probably in decent shape and the sensors work OK. Also, you can learn from those who're better than you.

It might seem intimidating, especially if you're a noob, but we all had to start somewhere. Generally players are willing to help if you ask a question. Watch some of the better players perform, and pay attention to how they move and hit the arrows and see if you can incorporate those techniques when you play. It might not end up being your method of playing, but it's a good way to start learning the more advanced stuff.
---------------------------------------------------
hot air balloon Brisbane
Marco Island Florida waterfront vacation rental house
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
Would you also state the same about StepMania (pad or keyboard) or FlashFlashRevolution in terms of not being good practice compared to the arcade?

What makes stamina songs easier at home, and what did you mean by "inside" deal on tokens?

I would say that yes, Stepmania can make you better at the arcade, especially if you narrow the timing window in SM. But I don't think it helps at all with your physical technique. I think SM and the simulation games that you play w/ your hands are training you to read the arrow patterns and perfect your rhythm. However, if all you do is play on a keyboard, it's still going to be a rough transition to the actual AC pads.

Of course if you use a pad (and a good one, like a Blueshark, Cobalt Flux, or a good homemade pad), and something like Beware's mod to make Stepmania emulate EXTREME as closely as possible*, or the ITG2 arcade theme/songs/videos/timing settings, then Stepmania becomes even more useful.

*Still waiting for System573 Digital emulation to be improved enough so I can play something other than 1st/2nd/Best of Cool Dancers, having actual DDRMAX2 and Dancing Stage EuroMix disks and failing to get a 573 unit on E-bay continually is getting so annoying.

suneelkumar85 wrote:
most console DDR games don't let you adjust how wide or narrow the timing window is, but if you download Stepmania ( http://www.stepmania.com/ ) you can go into the options setting and make the timing window "tighter" and more like the arcade. most console DDR games don't let you adjust how wide or narrow the timing window is, but if you download Stepmania ( http://www.stepmania.com/ ) you can go into the options setting and make the timing window "tighter" and more like the arcade.

And you can also find approximate timing tightness/looseness and edit the appropriate files to get more accurate results than just adjusting timing in the menu... if you are good with a hex editor, you can use information from the current and old AiJ forums to hack the timing windows of the PS2 versions to be closer to (if not exactly like) the arcade timing too.

It isn't really as all or nothing as some people want to make it out to be.

Xanthros wrote:
playing at home will hinder your ability to get better.

Bullshit.

Not everybody is the same, some people have a harder time than others adjusting, others have no problem switching styles and consistently doing well... such an absolute statement is, IMO, untrue.

[/quote]
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean it as a 100% true blanket statement, but my post was long enough and I didn't feel like adding more. Sorry.

Yes, playing at home will get you better up to a certain point (maybe until you can pass 10s?), and can probably help you with stamina in the beginning as well. However, it will make your timing worse if you play mainly at home, and you will not gain any experience getting comfortable playing on a real machine (and subconscious technique improvements are a big part of gaining real stamina). You will probably adapt your technique to the home pad, which will yield an inefficient play style on the arcade machine. This can also lead to getting greats/misses due to being unfamiliar with arcade pads.

If you spend a lot of money and buy a CF/Blueshark with arcade risers or whatever and make your own bar (if you use it), then I'm sure that will help. But other than that I truly recommend not playing at home at all, plastic/foam pads are (nearly) worthless. This player wants to get AAAs, so I'm assuming he doesn't need beginner practice, which is all those are good for.

On a side note, since Stepmania doesn't have anything to do with your body technique, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to play. I played for the whole time I've been playing DDR/ITG, and I'd say it neither helped nor hurt me. Maybe helped because it made me want to go play more at the arcade haha.

Anyway I hope none of that sounded offensive, I'm just explaining my thinking.
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, would home play be appropriate for players around my level (remember, I can't even pass 10's)? When do people usually start focusing on score? I'm focused mostly on just passing more nines and consistently passing everything under. As mentioned/suggested in my earlier post, I do play easier difficulties some to work on perfect/fantastic attack. So far, the my only ***'s are all on novice, and I don't believe I've ever AAAed anything higher than five-feet (no heavy songs).

Quote:
at home on my metal pad, i'll get AAA's and everything, and it's fine. then, i'll go to an arcade and play ddr and get a ton of greats, sometimes even more than perfects

Hm, I don't think I usually get more greats than perfects, even at the arcade, but I have never AAAed a heavy song even at home. Maybe the solution is simply getting used to the different timing, so if you are still having the same issue, don't lose heart E13.gif

www.stayonsync.com/forum
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: