Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Simplified Stealth Homepad

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: The Simplified Stealth Homepad Reply with quote

I haven't transcribed my voice memos that I made whilst building the thing, so this page isn't finished yet, but since a few people have asked, here it is anyways:

http://digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/super-stealth.html

Please be gentle on my bandwidth; don't go to the larger pictures unless you're actually going to use them.

-Robin
View users profile Send private message Send email
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Yay! Reply with quote

OK, it's all the way done now. Please let me know what you think.

-Robin
Lawrencesss
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you play with a really high lift, I can see some serious foot damage happening.

Eventually the duct tape will roll up, exposing a really nice corner or edge.

The concept is brilliant, a low profile, low cost pad, but for me, the possible drama isn't worth the 3 or 4 extra hours making it 2 sheets of ply high so you can fold the sheet metal over.
View users profile Send private message
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrencesss wrote:
Unless you play with a really high lift, I can see some serious foot damage happening.

Umm.

You *do* wear shoes when you play, right?

So far the duct tape has shown no signs whatsoever of moving. In fact, it's achieved a really remarkable bond with the wood, so that it's very, very hard to peel it off. E1.gif

-Robin
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrencesss wrote:
The concept is brilliant, a low profile, low cost pad

Oh and, thank you, by the way. biggrin.gif

Low cost had nothing to do with it; I just hate sawing and don't have a power saw and don't especially want one.

-Robin
devout
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks pretty cool. How's the performance? And how's the duct tape holding up after a few weeks?

Almost-finished non-Stealth homepad for sale, just add sensors! see here: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8921579#8921579
View users profile Send private message
rlpowell
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Welll.... Reply with quote

I've definitely had to rework top sheets more than I'd like, but I think that's mostly me not understanding what I was doing the first time through. It's Really, Really Important that the top sheets be flat.

The whole thing is made more complicated by the fact that the surface my pads on isn't level, which makes it hard to tell if I'm having problems because of the pad or because the pad shifts when I jump because it isn't level. E10.gif

Overall, though, once the warped top sheets are fixed, everything seems to be fine. I haven't gotten any AAs yet, but I'm pretty certain that's my problem (I hadn't been doing much DDR for a while before I built these things). As are no problem.

The duct tape shows no signs of any issues whatsoever.

The one problem that is actually a problem with the design, as opposed to a problem with me being a piss-poor handyman, is that the top sheet, and the screws that hold the top sheet in, can be caught by one's foot as one dances. This hasn't been a serious problem, but you definitely have to pick up your feet more with this design than others.

-Robin
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: