Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What do people do while playing DDR that really angers you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

3040. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balalaika wrote:
You can't play on your toes on an arcade machine

actually that's pretty much how i play; it requires a bit more effort to score well that way but makes hard songs/songs with crossovers so much easier to do
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

3041. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ranatlus, playing on your toes can increase your speed but reduce your accuracy some what. It also works your calves out a lot more, where as playing flat footed will work out your hamstrings more. When I play a fast song on doubles, I start off flat footed but as soon as a long and fast stream that requires quick turning happens, I'm toe stepping.

People who use the bar to play light and standard songs anger me. Hell, using the bar on anything below a 10 upsets me somewhat. It's like using Little on Chaos or Innocence of Silence :-\
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

3042. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the bar to try and AAA Stoic on Beginner with little and no jump activated. Then again, the only reason why I was on those settings was because the machine has this stupid malfunctioning/possessed 1p side where all the buttons are start/select and trying to change your options requires precise timing. I screwed up said timing and had to explain to the small audience why I was playing with a bad foot (bad decision on my part) and why I just picked something frick easy after playing PARANOIA Survivor.

E2.gif
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3043. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've made too many posts in this thread laugh.gif .

I actually used to be kinda afraid to play DDR outside of my local region because I always thought that people from other areas would make fun of me and so on. Then again, it was 2004, and I was only 10 years old.

Now it's the other way around. I can't stand playing DDR in my area due to the amount of douchebags who intentionally try to mess me up, and I prefer playing in other areas where people will just leave me the hell alone. I've had a street thug say he was going to "fuck me up real good" based entirely on the fact I was playing DDR and that he thought "DDR is fucking gay and doesn't embrace da values of thug life" on at least one occasion.

I should probably mention that the kid was white and I saw him walking out of Against All Odds/Wiggers R Us a few minutes earlier, which basically means he wouldn't know what "thug life" was if it took a dump on his face and said HEY THERE I'M YOUR BUDDY I'M THUG LIFE!!!!! Wiggers laugh.gif .
View users profile Send private message
Trick Member
Trick Member

3044. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureBlue wrote:
I've had a street thug say he was going to "fuck me up real good" based entirely on the fact I was playing DDR and that he thought "DDR is fucking gay and doesn't embrace da values of thug life" on at least one occasion.

I should probably mention that the kid was white and I saw him walking out of Against All Odds/Wiggers R Us a few minutes earlier...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Thug life from a person who came from a store that shares the same name as a song by Mariah Carey and Phil Collins...
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3045. PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy looked quite a bit like this:

I would assume he probably lives in a rich suburban neighborhood, I mean, ROUGH HOOD, and that his parents are rich and drive BMW's. Most of the wiggers at my school are like that; rich kids who are suffering from a major identity crisis.
Disillusioned
Trick Member
Trick Member

3046. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this whole topic has strayed a bit. So I will put it back on track a little.

Haven't been here in months. Maybe a year or so, not that any of you knew me or that I'm that important. Anyway. Got back into the game and this is what I have noticed:

I hate it when people:

-Stand too close. I usually wap them in the face on purpose and then point to the warning label on the machine that says, "CAUTION! DO NOT STAND TO CLOSE TO MACHINE WHILE OTHERS ARE PLAYING" when they get pissed at me.

-Try talking to me when I'm playing. I ignore them completely. Then when I'm done, I turn to them and say, "Ok, now that I'm not having to focus hard, what were you saying?"

-Other players that clap off beat on purpose to screw you up. I socked a guy who was doing it when I was trying to AAA B4U. I heard him talking poopy behind my back "look at this bumhole, thinks he's all good and poopy." When the fact of the matter was, I was about 3 times better than he was. We both got kicked out, but because I'm a regular and all the employees know me, I convinced them that he instigated the whole thing and got him perma-banned.

-When players put a whole bunch of credits in when there's no wait, then when people come line up, he insists that he has to play out the rest since he's "leaving" after he's done. Right, like I haven't heard that one before.

-When players steal a spot in line. Seriously, that's just immaturity.

-When people shadow without asking. I usually push them off and say, "ask next time, asswipe." Again, this caused a fight and we both got pretty beat up. Again, we both got kicked out. Again, I worked my magic and got the other guy banned. Though, now that I think about it, I don't like anyone shadowing me period, so even if they do ask, I'm still gonna say no.

-When n00bs who don't really even know how to play the game mess up the order because they're just passing by and want to play on a whim.

-When little kids want to play but aren't willing to wait their turn since they hardly have an attention span, and then the parents doggy at us to let the kid play, even though we know they will lose first song.

-When I go on a day when the arcade is supposed to be slow, expecting there to be no wait, and there's nothing but DDR players there.

-When people get out water and paper towels and wipe the sensors every song when they aren't even good.

-When players that are good play the same exact songs you just did in the same order just to say, "I'm better than you, so ha." I've come close to punching out one of those types of people. Seriously, if you're good, don't flaunt it in everyone's face. You may be good at DDR, but you probably fail at life.

-When people make fun of you when they can't do any better, then justify their action by saying they don't play when you respond with, "lets see you do better." Again, immaturity.

-When people talk poopy about you when you swear at the machine, or make any kind of gesture that indicates that you did horrible when you got an A. Well guess what, maybe we were going for the AA, or AAA. So yes, we will be frustrated when we don't get it.

-When the establishment doesn't maintenence their machines.

-When people step up out of nowhere and make a quick 3 second random dance move to get attention, "hey look at me, I'm so pro!" I usually end up talking them down and making them feel incredibly stupid and inferior to the point where they leave the establishment. Seriously, un-called for.

-When people that are better than you try giving you tips when the only reason you aren't playing as well is because you have a sore muscle or because you're out of shape and you're just getting back into it. Seriously, it's not that we don't acknowledge that you are good. We just don't want you to open your damn mouth unless we ask for an opinion or advice. If you aren't spoken to, then keep your mouth shut.

-When people say, "Miss!" When you get a misstep. It's hard to play when you're pissed off at someone.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3047. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I've gotten pretty pissed off at people for trying to mess me up on DDR, but it never actually got to the point where there was physical contact. Maybe it's because I'm just not the type of person who starts fights, or maybe people around my area just aren't that annoying compared to where you are. I told a dumb fat skateboarder off once by saying "What are you, fucking 5 years old?", but that only happened once and it didn't get physical. I did get the guy banned from the mall for trying to start a fight and because he mooned me through the window next to the machine in front of pretty much everyone in the food court.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3048. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

-When players that are good play the same exact songs you just did in the same order just to say, "I'm better than you, so ha." I've come close to punching out one of those types of people. Seriously, if you're good, don't flaunt it in everyone's face. You may be good at DDR, but you probably fail at life.

I am guilty of this, but not to show up the other players. This girl played PARANOiA and Trip Machine on Beginner, two songs that I am working on AAAing, and my turn was next. I convinced her to play again no matter how :good" I supposedly was.

To contribute a couple of quick ones of my own.

- When someone scats or makes noise in general to the music, especially when it's horribly off, and then make a quick remark like "Ah, he's not that good" when I get a great because of it.

Also, when people are making loads of noise and distracting me an unholy amount when I am trying to get my first AAA. I think I said this, but here's a video that shows what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKrUnu9y7w
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3049. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is understandable for those events to bother you, Disillusioned, but would it be a good idea to be a little more polite? That is just a question for you to take or leave as you please.

In case there is someone here who has not heard this, corporeal punishment is not effective (all it will teach the person is not to act up around the punisher), so there is no reason to resort to physical violence unless someone threatens the safety of another.

Shouldn't such misbehavior be forbidden in arcades? If there is anything that should be that isn't, what do we need to do?

I am guilty of standing close when I watch others play and giving less experienced players tips because I hate to see them make mistakes that I figure will hinder their performance such as returning to the center and stepping back on the down arrow E2.gif

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3050. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is to report the person who is causing trouble. Either tell the arcade staff, or in more extreme cases, mall security (or the police if it's a standalone arcade). Don't let it go unnoticed, because the person might come back and take advantage of it and start doing even worse things.
Disillusioned
Trick Member
Trick Member

3051. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
In case there is someone here who has not heard this, corporeal punishment is not effective (all it will teach the person is not to act up around the punisher), so there is no reason to resort to physical violence unless someone threatens the safety of another.

I gave the guy fair warning. I told him that if he did it again, I'd kick his buttocks. He didn't think I'd do it, and that I was all talk. Guess I sure showed him. I'm not normally a violent person. It is also not the first thing I resort to. But little punkass 15 year olds that try to act cool in front of their friends by purposely irritating someone else need to be taught a lesson. Because now the guy knows to think twice before he does something to piss someone off. Now he might think, "oh hey, maybe I shouldn't do that. You never know who will turn around and hit you"

Quote:

Shouldn't such misbehavior be forbidden in arcades? If there is anything that should be that isn't, what do we need to do?

The staff don't care. They will say, "well why do you take it so seriously? It's just a game for christ's sake" I usually respond with, "because I'm paying your miserable hourly wage to keep this business going. So for the sake of your job, you better care."

Quote:
I am guilty of standing close when I watch others play...

You are a potential hazard. Why do people need to be so close anyway? I always play the 'arms reach' rule. If you are within my arms reach, you're too close.

Quote:
... and giving less experienced players tips because I hate to see them make mistakes that I figure will hinder their performance such as returning to the center and stepping back on the down arrow E2.gif

Well that's all fine and well. What I'm talking about is an expert player to another expert player. Like this a-hole I see all the time. I'm decent. I can AA almost all 9's excluding the "boss" songs. Paranoia Hades should not be a 9. I have 10 AAAs on expert/heavy. This guy gets AAAs on anything easier than 10. He gives me advice without me asking for it. I find that annoying. He isn't sincere about it either. He's using advice and tips as an excuse to say "you suck." I can tell these kinds of things. Just like when we were all in middle school playing pokemon and the high school jock a$$h0le comes over and asks, "Hey this guy looks pretty bad buttocks, is he good?" SERIOUSLY! I really really really hate people like that. If it weren't for laws and regulations, I'd beat them down in a heartbeat. In my opinion, it's one of the highest degrees of immaturity.

Can you guys tell that I wasn't exactly a "cool" kid growing up? Maybe that's why I have all this repressed anger at age 22, and why I like the Punisher's ideals. Just not to the degree of killing someone.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3052. PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not try to stand so close I interfere -- I usually stand behind the bar because I like to watch others play. I guess I had better be more careful to read signs and watch my distance E2.gif Nowadays, I have sort of come up with the idea that physical violence should never be enacted unless the offender commits unnecessary/unethical physical violence first. So, it is better to reason with someone first -- be the better person. Do the staff realize it is "just a game" that costs money, indicating anyone who interferes with another's game is actually guilty of stealing (or whatever crime knocking someone's money into a sewage drain or other inaccessible place would be considered)? Are people like that on grounds for loss of job or some other penalty with the law/authorities? PureBlue's advice is excellent. On a side note, I agree Paranoia Hades is no nine E13.gif If you have repressed anger (not necessarily something I lack), would it help to make a new friend? Because I am always open to meeting new people E13.gif

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Disillusioned
Trick Member
Trick Member

3053. PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said. It's not the first thing I resort to. I've tried all the other ideas that people have always given me. I've tried listening to my parents and doing what they always taught me to do. But know what? Sometimes, that isn't enough. There are cases in which the only way of getting your point across is physical force. I came to find out that the guy I hit for clapping off beat to screw me up, does it to anyone who's good that is trying for a good score. All they do is yell at him, or tell him to quit it or go away. He's had threats from many people, but nobody actually did anything.

It just so happened that I was already having a very bad day, and just wanted to exert my excess energy I had worked up. And here this kid comes along and annoys the sh*t out of me. I let it go the first couple times, then I said that if he didn't quit doing it, I'd hit him. Next song I play, he tests me and does it again. So, I fail the song without caring so I could lay him out. I only hit him once, and once was all it took.

Other minor annoyances I usually don't mind the first time. Especially if the person just doesn't know how it works. Can't blame someone for not knowing if they aren't there much. It's when people know it annoys players and they do it on purpose. Any intentional annoyance that someone causes at another's expense after calmly being dealt with once deserves to be knocked down.

One time, a 10-year old ran right in front of me while i was playing. Now that's rude. 10 years old or not, he should have known better. That, and the parents shouldn't be letting him run loose like that. If they were decent parents, they would have been keeping their eye on him and wouldn't have let him run right in front of the screen. So I "accidentally" lost my balance and tripped him. Of course, parents got mad at me. I explained what happened, along with my 2 friends that saw the whole thing. They complained to management and wanted to file a lawsuit against me. Good thing they didn't, because it would have been a lot of money wasted on their part
Trick Member
Trick Member

3054. PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it seems like you get super pissed really easily.

I mean, half the stuff you listed is crap I think most of us just accept as part of the arcade experience. I hate little kids running across my game too, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to trip them, possibly injuring them severely (mind you, they could fall face first into the corner of the pad).

Sounds like you really hate people, the public, and just about everyone outside your circle of friends. Perhaps you should invest in your own machine and just keep it in your garage? disturb.gif

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Disillusioned
Trick Member
Trick Member

3055. PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be the most pleasant and sociable person you've ever met. In fact, if you met me in person, you probably wouldn't even know that it's me. When I'm stressed out or upset about something, I tend to vent on the internet. I guess when you're stressed out enough or irritated enough about something, it's easy to talk about times when you imposed your aggression on someone. It's better to put things in writing instead of taking it out on someone who didn't do anything.

The last time I got in a fight was over a year ago. Normally, I don't let little things bother me. But yes, you are right in saying that I generally don't like people. That's why I'm getting a degree in the IT field so I'm not having to ever work customer service again. I'd rather just be the guy in the back that fixes things or work on corporate level to where you never even see the general public. I can get along with people i work with. It's just when random people you've never met before get on your nerves. When it's intentional, it's personal. Some people mess with me on purpose because they know I'll get pissed. In that particular situation, I make sure their first time is their last. I was taught that you can't just be a pu**y pacifist all the time. You won't get any respect if you just let people run right over you.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3056. PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disillusioned wrote:
When it's intentional, it's personal. Some people mess with me on purpose because they know I'll get pissed. In that particular situation, I make sure their first time is their last. I was taught that you can't just be a pu**y pacifist all the time. You won't get any respect if you just let people run right over you.

That's exactly what I think. I don't let other people get away with harassing me; no matter what, I will report them.

I probably have different standards than most people, though; if some just does a stupid little dance on the other pad, I just ignore it because it's not a really big deal. But if they stomp the living hell out of the pad, make loud noises, shout profanities, and push me off the pad I'm using, I will report them.
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

3057. PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've resorted to physical defense, as some here know, was the one time I was playing, and this whale of an bumhole jumped on the pad next to me, shaking the pads (somehow ~_~) to the point where I nearly fell like I had done the day before (barely hitting my knees on the steel pad by an inch or less). That person got a kick in the ribs after several verbal requests to stop.

Did I regret it? No. Why? Because I gave them fair warning and they were at that point putting my physical self in harm's way. I could have fallen and broken my knee, or hit my head on the machine or any other kind of thing.

There are lines. While you shouldn't get super aggressive and fight right away, especially with other options available, when you are in a position where you can be physically harmed and there is no alternative, I'd be daring to say you'd have to be a kitty to just put up with it when it comes to that level.
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3058. PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost never resort to violence because it's just not the kind of person I am. I don't like seeing people getting hurt. However, if the person is past the point of being a major distraction (aka pushing me off the pad) I will fight back. Luckily it hasn't happened, but I won't be surprised if it does end up getting to the point where I have to get physical on at least one occasion.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3059. PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared to handle such situations without expecting them -- we would not want to bring out the worst in others through the self-fulfilling prophecy, you know. As much as some people may tick us off by how they act, it is important to keep in mind they are people that make mistakes, and they actually have the potential to be decent -- as tough as this may seem for some. We should focus on bringing out the best in everyone to the point their bad sides are diminished as much as we can instead of focusing on hurting others -- which is admittedly tempting sometimes, so this is not easy, but it is still necessary in order to make the world a better place for everyone and everything.

Shoving someone off the pad ought to at least border on punishable by law considering it is essentially stealing -- we do have to pay money to get on these pads. So, the minimum penalty for such an action ought to be requiring the offender to pay back the victim for his/her money lost in the game the offender ruined. Hm, if such problems are common, is this a significant contributing factor to our diminishing community, why some would never consider playing in the arcade?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next
Page 153 of 154

Jump to: