Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What do people do while playing DDR that really angers you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153, 154  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FujiFlame
Trick Member
Trick Member

3020. PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feelingzwontfade wrote:
Really? My audiences are usually adults, I somehow don't think I've ever had a kid watch me...

I'm sure it's very dependent on where you play.

Personally, there isn't MUCH I can't stand about someone else playing. Nobody likes arrogance, but...

There is one peeve I'd like to mention.

I can't stand it when I get done playing my warm-up round with nothing harder than an 8, and the guy watching me that I've never seen before plays a game consisting of a 9, a 10, and Xuxa (or Summer, as was the case in the most recent occurrence of this phenomenon), and does terribly on the last song (if not on all three). As though playing those harder songs, regardless of how well they do, makes a positive statement about their skill level vs. mine (I was only playing 8s, after all) – you can do poorly on Xuxa (easy 11, anyone?) and still look like a god to someone who doesn't understand the game/what it takes to play at that skill level.

The reason it bothers me is because these are players that don't seem fit to be playing Xuxa their first round, but... you gotta look good, right?? I've always very strongly emphasized the importance of warming up, but even the people that neglect this advice don't go and play Xuxa their first round for funsies. They know they'll do better on it if they give themselves a couple games to loosen up. But these people I'm complaining about, they don't seem to care that their score would be better if they used a couple games to warm up – they just seem to need to quickly make the point that they can flail their legs around the pad faster than I.

I kid you not about the Summer thing; the last time this happened, I was playing with a few friends of mine. After our warm-up game which consisted of nothing harder than an 8, some guy who had been watching us got up on the pad and started a game. He was there with a few of his friends, who didn't look like players themselves – he seemed like he was just going to show them what he could do. I didn't have a problem with this – by all means, feel free to show off your well-earned talents to anyone you wish...just don't manipulate the circumstances to make yourself seem better than you really are.

So, this guy is playing his first round of songs (started out with a couple 9s) and I was telling my friends "I'll bet so much money that he plays Xuxa his last song. I've seen this before." It really seemed like he would, with his friends there, and being an apparently decent player (Xuxa wasn't out of his range). So it came to his last song, and he doesn't pick Xuxa, but instead picked SUMMER! On Expert! Now, had he passed, I wouldn't be complaining right now; but he stopped and watched himself fail as the first long run showed itself. He got his stuff together and walked off with his friends (who were of course in absolute awe, regardless of his failure) and explained that Summer is one of the hardest songs in the game...

Now, I want to make it clear: I am a firm believer in "to each his own", and if playing really hard songs your first game is what gives you kicks, go for it; just don't expect me to guffaw because you're playing something harder than what I was just playing. I have a lot more respect for someone who plays intelligently & within their limits than for someone who jumps into something they can't do on the chance that they'll impress somebody.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3021. PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlekev0 wrote:
People that give step by step instructions on how to play WHILE you are playing (example: try going slower, faster, etc)

I am sort of guilty of this E2.gif I like to give inexperienced players tips whenever I see them get on a machine. I typically ask people how experienced they are with the game (I do not recall anyone ever answering in a manner that told me that person does not need my advice -- I think I can outperform most people I have seen play, and I struggle on some six and eight-footers disgust.gif ), then proceed to tell them facts such as how it is better to stay off the center to keep feet on arrows, to turn to hit the back arrow, and how the arrows flash along with the beat of the song. Also, I have tried songs I could not come close to passing just because I like the steps (Bend Your Mind and Walking on Fire both on expert riiight.gif ), so I hope Fujiflame does not also consider me a nuisance. As for what bothers me, eh, well, I do not really know of anything that made me angry or anything (I have been playing dance simulation arcade machines only since 126 days ago). One time, a younger girl acted as if she was going to press the selection arrow before I was ready, but I think she was just kidding, so it did not really bother me (I did say something to her, though -- not in a harsh tone). I have played a machine with a terrible pad and a couple machines (one In The Groove and one Pump It Up) with volume no more than barely audible. I would rather those machines be in better condition if I ever take a notion to play them again (the Pump It Up machine is unlikely for me to revisit though).

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
eflatmajor
Basic Member
Basic Member

3022. PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went over to the machine and took my reserve coiny thing off the machine and this random guy who was with a bunch of other people (who by the looks of it shouldve been in school) got up on the pad and asked me if i had a dollar, and i said that the one i was using was my last one. Anyway I pu the dolalr in and he was just standing there on the pad. I stared at him for abit and when it was in the select game menu, he pushed the green button! I just assumed he was abit ignorant and asked him to get off the machine, to which he stepped on to the second player pad, and i thought whatever, and started to play. Now I know there are already a bunch of posts about people who just mock you while your playing and pretend to play but Ive never known how annoying people could actually be. At first i didnt mind because I wasnt looking at him anyway but he was flailing around knocking me abit which was quite a distraction. After that they left but on the final song they came back and started to do it again.

I had no idea people could be such...(I dont know the swear limits of this forum but im sure you can use your imaginations.)
View users profile Send private message
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3023. PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had people coming up to me when I finish songs saying stuff like "Wow, you must have no life". A couple days ago I finished playing LoM on Heavy/Expert and got an A. After that some random guys who looked like they were about 16 or 17 years old came up to me saying that I have no life. Yeah, everyone who is good at something obviously has no life (apparently). By that logic, Tiger Woods has no life, Tony Hawk has no life, Michael Jordan has no life, Michael Phelps has no life, Stephen Hawking has no life, Albert Einstein had no life, Wayne Gretzky has no life, Herman Li has no life etc. It's ironic that these kids said I have no life when they probably spend more time playing Guitar Hero and Halo than I do playing DDR.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3024. PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it those dudes saying that you have no life must bother you at least a bit if you posted it here without other specifications, PureBlue. Not to suggest you did not make valid points, but my friend actually said that about people I said can step every arrow perfectly (he probably thinks I am not bad to type the least). I suppose it makes sense such a thought is natural to people who are not able to perform at such a level. Perhaps, it is a psychological defense mechanism people use for self-consolation or something. Sadly, I probably have less of a life than most of you, yet you all can outperform me on this game by lightyears (In The Groove and Dance Dance Revolution take up quite a bit of my time, especially every other day because that is when I exercise). To people who are not as interested in baseball, science, or whatever subject corresponds to each person you mentioned, those people may appear to have no life. So, either, people with different interests see no point in devoting as much time and effort to the activity we enjoy, or they make up excuses to make themselves feel better because there is something you can do that they cannot, or perhaps even a combination of the two. At least those guys did not inconsiderately attempt to interrupt any of your games -- people like that are actually guilty of stealing since we have to pay to play arcade games. Fortunately, that has never happened to me, but if it did and reasoning with the bums did not work, I would have to notify someone in order to get them kicked out of the arcade, fined, or whatever would act as an adequate solution. Of course, there is no reason to assume people would be that inconsiderate -- always be prepared for wrongdoing/people to mess up, but never expect it, eh? I really can not think of anything at the arcades that has ever upset me (I get upset when I disimprove on songs at home). I would not mind meeting anyone on this site even if I would look like a total fool in comparison when playing the game.

www.stayonsync.com/forum

Last edited by pleasedon'thurtme on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3025. PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does bother me, but not to the point where I would be screaming in anger at those people. My basic point was that all of the people I named do have lives outside of what they do (or in the case of Einstein, he had a life outside of what he did). And I commend those kids for not trying to interrupt my game through excessive shouting, ape stomping on the other pad, jumping in front of the screen with the intention of blocking it so I can't see it etc. I actually got a bunch of skater kids who probably spend just as much time hanging out in Zumiez as I do playing DDR banned from the mall for disrupting my game in rather extreme ways, such as pulling their pants down to moon me through the large window next to the machine and shouting obscenities. If they were doing more mild things like making snide comments or ape stomping I wouldn't care, but they crossed the line. It just isn't right to publicly moon someone and shout obscenities loud enough for most of the people in the food court to hear.
feelingzwontfade
Trick Member
Trick Member

3026. PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureBlue wrote:
I've had people coming up to me when I finish songs saying stuff like "Wow, you must have no life". A couple days ago I finished playing LoM on Heavy/Expert and got an A. After that some random guys who looked like they were about 16 or 17 years old came up to me saying that I have no life. Yeah, everyone who is good at something obviously has no life (apparently). By that logic, Tiger Woods has no life, Tony Hawk has no life, Michael Jordan has no life, Michael Phelps has no life, Stephen Hawking has no life, Albert Einstein had no life, Wayne Gretzky has no life, Herman Li has no life etc. It's ironic that these kids said I have no life when they probably spend more time playing Guitar Hero and Halo than I do playing DDR.

Um... yeah I get the "Oh, well that's all he does at home that's why he's so good." So yes i know exactly where you're coming from.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
yfizz_hx2
Trick Member
Trick Member

3027. PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to barge in, i'm new to the whole ddrfreak thing, but I play at hwp, crestwood, il, and we aaaaaaalways ALWAYS get little kids who crowd the dedicab...its so frustrating! i stepped on some little girls finger once, almost got banned,but kids shouldn't be allowed upstairs where the ddrsupernova is
InfiniteSpawn
Basic Member
Basic Member

3028. PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when I'm playing against someone and they choose a really hard song that they won't even come close to passing (and won't try to), just so they can quit after about 8 seconds or so and make me play it.

There's a guy who plays with me who always chooses hard buttocks songs first that we haven't beat yet (like Pluto Relinquish)...it's like...why even waste money like that? Especially when your not even going to try to beat it yourself? disgust.gif
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3029. PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose children should be better monitored whether by parents, employees, or signs stating not to stick fingers on pad or get to close during others's games. I often end up stealing other people's games because they walk away before finishing all their songs. Yesterday, I was at Acres of Fun in Wooster, Ohio. A girl was playing (she did not seem to know what to do because she was just jumping around the pad and the results displayed one great and everything else less than good I think) and she and her family walked off after only one song. After I stole their second (this machine plays only two songs per game) song, I saw the machine was displaying one credit, so I went to find them to inform them they had another game -- they let me have it. That machine takes two tokens per game, but they had apparently inserted five. The machine actually cheated me one token, but that is actually not a big deal considering the five dollars for 24 tokens (one dollar free of tokens for every five dollars) deal and the fact I got three free songs because of those people. I guess I have yet to experience anything that actually angers me much at the arcades -- I suppose losing that one token came close...

edit: Oops, I forgot the topic is about what others do to anger me. Well, I do not know if not doing a good job on keeping the machine honest about taking tokens counts, so I suppose I have yet to experience anything someone else does to anger me at arcades. I was upset about failing a seven-footer on those less-than-perfect pads (it could just be me, but those pads do not seem extremely sensitive to me).

www.stayonsync.com/forum
balalaika
Trick Member
Trick Member

3030. PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
I was upset about failing a seven-footer on those less-than-perfect pads (it could just be me, but those pads do not seem extremely sensitive to me).

I used to think this, then realized I was just playing wrong. You can't play on your toes on an arcade machine -- it's not precise enough, and won't fly. Flatfooting is where it's at, and try to hit the sensor with your heel. I wear skate shoes and I think that helps too.

(Sorry if that isn't your problem and the machines really do just suck, but I had the exact same thought and it turned out to be my own issue.)
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3031. PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was flatfooting. My failures were probably not entirely the pads's fault (at least not in terms of sensitivity), though, as I am really terrible at the game. The depressed arrows on metal pads often hinder me -- I have been known to get my feet caught on my TX-1000 home pad. I probably just screwed up the song on my own for the most part. I played Senorita Speedy Mix a couple times -- made a C the first time and made an A the next attempt because I stomped a little harder (both times were without the bar). But I do appreciate your advice E13.gif Hm, I suppose this topic would ideally consist of posts about what people used to do that angered players -- is that the goal/purpose of this thread?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
gothic05
Basic Member
Basic Member

3032. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who tell you you're not playing right just because you don't hold on to the bar.
View users profile Send private message Send email
sheeep
Basic Member
Basic Member

3033. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who tell you you're not playing right just because you do hold on to the bar. E13.gif
HeavyD2
Trick Member
Trick Member

3034. PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, there's still anti-bar sentiment? What with the advent of 14+ foot ITG charts that CANNOT be done without the bar?
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3035. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those kinds of songs ARE possible without the bar, it just takes a buttload of practice and most of the time you have to rape the brackets to the point to where it could be considered bracketophilia. There probably always will be the whole anti-bar sentiment. Most of the time it's unjustified AKA some Average Joe just being jealous of someone else but some people are actually good no bar and just don't agree with the use of the bar. The difference is that the jealous Average Joe probably plays 7 footers and is jealous that people are better than him at DDR, while the good no bar player would be able to do 10's consistently no bar.
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

3036. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balalaika wrote:

I used to think this, then realized I was just playing wrong. You can't play on your toes on an arcade machine -- it's not precise enough, and won't fly. Flatfooting is where it's at, and try to hit the sensor with your heel. I wear skate shoes and I think that helps too.

IMO, another way for playing !=- wrong way.

There are some good toe players out there, although flatfooting is better in the long run for many-a-reason you can still do well on toe.
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3037. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobayan is a ridiculously good toe player. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrpGuDD0_Y

He did that on toes. On doubles. No bar. And got 94.5%. That takes a lot of skill. He could have taken the easy road (flat footing) but getting a 94.5% on FaxX doubles no bar is considerably more difficult on toes than it would be flat footing.

Basically, what I'm saying in this post is that it's not impossible to get good scores on toes, it's just takes a lot more practice then just flat footing.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3038. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is toe-playing bad for one's body?

To stay on topic, what do we do about the things that might bother us?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

3039. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
But is toe-playing bad for one's body?

To stay on topic, what do we do about the things that might bother us?

It tires people out more, but I've been toe playing for 9 years so far and I am the only member in my family who hasn't had any foot problems or health problems (hell, I am the only DDR player in my family).
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153, 154  Next
Page 152 of 154

Jump to: