Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

where to find mp3s
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristyne
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: where to find mp3s Reply with quote

....is an example of questions not allowed on these forums.
Subsequent posters who inquire where to find said mp3's will be warned for piracy.

In addition, users are STRONGLY URGED to read this FAQ http://ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/faq.php before posting anything in order to avoid the wrath of frustrated users and moderators.
Peacekeeper Superstar
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn Straight riiight.gif

"Let me show you this Future i dream about night after night" - Peacekeeper Superstar (aka Inquisitor)
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Bisiopao
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS ABOUT TIME somebody made this..propz to Cristyne.
Dread Phirate YYS
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN!! I actually thought Christyne was gonna post an Mp3 site so people wouldn't have to. Oh well, rules are rules.

Radio KoL - The Moxiness Commands YOU!! | Eight New Zones!! Creator of the ORIGINAL DDRFreak Beauty Contest
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Syn Zero
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least this should catch the attention of people looking for MP3s.
hi i'm Lain
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: back when ddrfreak was cool oh wait it was never cool
5. PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Capcom man: Hey man, looks like you got your wish! Now n00bs at least SEE this sticky and think twice about posting anything about downloading MP3s.

NO DOUBT GET LOUD I BE KICKING YOUR NEIGHBOR
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neosarb
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to see what this post was all about. I have no need for DDR mp3's, I already got em all! What a strain on my 56k happy.gif. In fact, I'm listening to them now. Hehehe...
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before looking at thread:
Where to find mp3's...heh, that'll get locked quick. Wait... it's sticky?!? BY CRISTYNE?!?!? What has the DDR Freak community come to???!!!

After looking at thread:
He he... that's clever.
cristyne = winnar
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Doctor Crayfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I knew, Mp3's weren't illegal. Do you seriously fear lawsuits for people posting links to mp3 websites on your forums? Arcades aren't allowed to have any DDR mix other than USA and Disney, but would somebody get in trouble for posting a link to ebay where you can buy *gasp* ILLEGAL ARCADE MIXES!!!!

http://209.126.178.119/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9754 Is this guy going to get warned about asking a question about an illegal arcade mix?

What about the whole faq/stepchart section? Although not EVERYONE on DDRFreak is from the U.S., most are, so isn't giving out that information just as bad as giving out information on where to find Mp3's? Especially if you are merely posting a source in which you can obtain information about that mp3, not necessarily downloading it.
Tragician
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Importing is not pirating. The creators (in this case, KOJ) is still getting paid for their intellectual and physical property. MP3s are pirating. Unless you own the CD, the artists are not getting paid for their work.
tortoise
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PooPNeoNFX wrote:
As far as I knew, Mp3's weren't illegal. Do you seriously fear lawsuits for people posting links to mp3 websites on your forums? Arcades aren't allowed to have any DDR mix other than USA and Disney, but would somebody get in trouble for posting a link to ebay where you can buy *gasp* ILLEGAL ARCADE MIXES!!!!

If you get into the nitty gritty technicalities, especially if you're looking for something you can use against this site's policies, then yeah you will probably find something. But the fact still remains this site is owned by someone and they can do as they please. This site doesn't have to exist at all, nor is it at all required to be a democracy.

And just as a heads up, it's legal to own foreign arcade machines in the US. It's illegal to make money off of them.
View users profile Send private message
Terminal
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Walking the earth to find a challenge in CvS 2 (Laredo TX)
11. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey poopneofx or something who is that chick in ur picture.
flotastic
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromo wrote:
Hey poopneofx or something who is that chick in ur picture.

umm that's me biggrin.gif

Last edited by flotastic on Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:44 pm, edited 5 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email
Doctor Crayfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you're right, the site doesn't have to exist, nor does it have to be a democracy. But hear me out...

I'm obviously missing something here. From the way I see it, if there are no legal issues, why is it being made into a "big no no" deal? Personal moral standpoints? If that were so I wouldn't agree with their views, but I would respect them, the only thing is that these people admit that they themselves have obtained Mp3's.

So basically I'm having a hard time figuring out a motive. Now you may be thinking that they don't have to give me a motive, it's their website. Which is pretty much true, I am, after all, choosing to use their service and if I don't like it then too bad for me. But I don't see why I shouldn't voice my opinion.

Just my 2 cents
krikkit
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP3 technology is not illegal...unless you are a coder and try to make money by making a program which makes MP3s, then you owe royalty on the Codec.

Owning MP3's are not illegal. Engaging in the distribution of any unlicensed intellectual property is illegal. Hosting files or links to mp3s(not illegal) which contain copies of unlicensed intellectual property(illegal) qualifies as distribution(illegal.) Licenses on music are only provided when you buy a copy of the album(legal), and you are strictly held back from re-licensing that work to other people, ie by making mp3s(legal) of that work(illegal) and selling or otherwise distributing it(illegal.)

Why make such a big stink about Mp3s, when there is probably a whole lot of other little piddly things we can whine about? Welcome to Media Hype 101: MP3's are the flavor of the year. This makes them Target Number One for getting your web hosting, domain name, and all other licensed internet equipment taken away. All it takes is some wolf-crying copyright-hound to imply to the wrong person who has no clue what its really all about that a certain site is distributing illegal mp3s, and that website loses its buttocks, because they agreed via contract to have all of their rights taken away when they break laws with their content.

Nobody wants that.
So we jump on the MP3 thing.
kaykay?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
~*~Pansy^DoNuT~*~
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is just like the whole Napster thing, remember what they said?

The song is there, but it had to come from somewhere, someone had to buy it first, and they make CD Burners, share your files with friends, not sell, but give. As long as you are not making money off of it, it's not illegal. Think of the internet as a big group where everyone is your friend, willing to help you out and get you the music you need because they have the original and are willing to share it with you. It's not like there has to be one original per person getting it for free. If a CD came out and one person in the whole world bought it and made it free to download on a server, everyone has access to it and soon would spread, someone still paid money for it, and "shared" it with the world. Whether it's one copy or a million copies, it's still sharing, and legal... Well last time I checked it was...
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Sohcahtoa
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pansyman, you're simply wrong. Sharing copyrighted material is illegal, whether you charge for it or not. If I buy a CD and burn it for a friend and give it to him, its just as illegal as if I sold it to him.

Napster itself was not illegal. File sharing itself is not illegal. Sharing copywrited material, however, IS. If I create an animation in a 3D animation program and share that AVI, that's legal. If I rip a DVD and share that AVI, its illegal. If I write a song and make it into an MP3, its perfectly legal for me to distribute it through KaZaA, MusicCity, Morpheus, WinMX, or any of those other file sharing networks. But if I rip a CD into MP3 and distribute those MP3s, its illegal.

-DJ
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pansyman, you are overlooking what you get when you buy a CD.
You do not get the music. You get the plastic that the CD is made out of , and a limited license to view/listen to the material contained therein. It is within that license that you are forbidden to distribute. Distribution does not in any way imply "sale".
To give someone else a copy, is in effect, you re-licensing the material. You do not have the right to re-license the material within, because that right is withheld to the copyright holder.
Tom Servo
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two responses I have to this thread:

1) If you're going to put up the top post telling people not to ask for MP3s, the least one could do is refer people to a place where one could legally obtain versions of the songs (import soundtracks, stores that carry CDs with it, etc etc), not just tell them to get lost.

2) If you're worried about codec licensing issues with MP3, use Ogg Vorbis, sounds better, and it's GPL'd.
View users profile Send private message
krikkit
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang right, OggVorbis is the shiznat, and its rapidly become very well supported. I figure the video game industry will have a field day with it.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: