Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Cobalt Flux Dance Platform
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

2420. PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxhavoc wrote:
I think I just might pick this up but I wouldn't really know how to review it since I can't get AAA or scores close to 100% to test precision.

Know any "good' players in the area that wouldn't mind writing up a short and concise review on this pad if you do get it? The dance game community has kind of been in a hardware rut since MyMyBox stopped producing Blue Sharks.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Syncopation
Trick Member
Trick Member

2421. PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using these Cobalt Flux pads for a while, I'm still happy with the response of the pads but the doubles bar is not all that durable when playing DDR or Pump It Up doubles games at more than just the most basic difficulties.

If the doubles bar is mounted the correct way--so that the flat part is flush with the pads--it does tend to keep loosening after a while. I've actually had better luck with the doubles bar upside down (i.e., flat part on the floor) but then it leaves a small gutter-like gap in between the two pads, and that's really not very safe for playing faster songs in the event of a misstep.

I've had to work around the constantly loosening doubles bar by adding a washer on the screw, using blue Loctite (thread locker blue 242) on the screw threads, and then rethreading the screw back in so that the washer is pushing against the metal notch part rather than just the screw head. That only worked for three out of the four screws, though. (I used a 3/8 inch washer and made sure the washer was centered before fully tightening the screw against the washer.)

For the other screw hole that I have discovered it is stripped and won't hold the screw in anymore, I'm going to have to go to a bigger size screw before I can do the blue Loctite and washer securement workaround. Where the screw hole is stripped, the corresponding notch on the doubles bar is also slightly bent and enlarged, because that's the first place where the doubles bar kept pulling out of securement. (It happened to be the bottom right side screw location of the pad used on the 1p side).

I'm probably going to take the time to blue loctite the individual panel securement screws at some point too, just to make sure they aren't backing out and coming loose.
View users profile Send private message
maxhavoc
Basic Member
Basic Member

2422. PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Cobalt Flux Arcade 1 Special Edition Reply with quote

So I ended up buying one of the Cobalt Flux special editions and I just had my first run in with it.

My overall impressions:
1) Not as stable as I'd like, I mainly wanted a hard pad because my soft pad (Red Octane v5) kept sliding around on my carpet and messing me up, I really wanted a nice, stable pad that wouldn't move around while I flailed about like an idiot (doing DDR). Despite being rather heavy, the Cobalt Flux slides around pretty easily, it moved an inch or so over the course of a few songs, obviously not as bad as the Red Octane, but still annoying. On the plus side, that does make it easier to slide under the bed for storage.

2) There is a clear, plastic or plexiglass (or something?) cover over the entire pad which flexes when you push or step on it. I'm not sure if this is normal for the Cobalt Flux (as I've never owned or used a "regular" one) or if it's unique to the special edition, or even if I'm supposed to remove it somehow. It's a bit distracting and feels rather strange when you step on it because it depresses the pad a bit (not the pad itself, but that's how it feels) and it feels wobbly as well.

3) The sensitivity of the arrows is a bit iffy. Sometimes when I tap nothing happens, other times there's a double tap, maybe I'm just not used to it yet or maybe it's a result of the plexiglass cover I mentioned earlier, not sure.

4) The control box seems cheap to me, the cable that attaches the 9-pin serial connector to the plastic case is a bit loose, but since the control box is external and thus doesn't move, maybe it's not a problem, just an observation.

5) Having an external control box is nice (for durability purposes) but rather annoying for playing purposes since the start and back buttons are on it, yes I know I can remap them, but if I use the left-front and right-front buttons like I did on the Red Octane I end up pressing them during the course of the song. I think this is the result of bad habits I picked up from using the Red Octane where I'd rest my feet with the toes on the front buttons because the sensors never quite aligned with the pads on the Red Octane, again, just an observation.

I have some pictures that I took of the un boxing and my setup.

The box:
Pad in the box:
Control box and sandpaper:
My setup:

Incidentally, what the hell is the sandpaper for?

If anyone lives in the Washington DC area and wants to check out the pad (especially if someone here is an expert on pads, Cobalt Fluxes and can tell me if I'm supposed to remove that plexiglass cover), email me at: bgreenberg *AT* maximumhavoc *DOT* com
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

2423. PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cobalt Flux Arcade 1 Special Edition Reply with quote

maxhavoc wrote:

Incidentally, what the hell is the sandpaper for?

Thanks for the pictures and the reviews you guys. The info is appreciated.

MaxHavoc, the sandpaper is probably grip tape. You peel off the paper on the non-gritty side and you stick it to the bottom of the pad. It will help keep the pad from moving around while you play. Though if you're playing on a hardwood surface, I would consider some kind of alternative to the grip tape.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

2424. PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I still want a CF someday, so I think I'll try this.

Do you think soldering the copper extension to the metal panel would help at all?
View users profile Send private message Send email
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

2425. PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's see if this works.....

I tried replying to the previous comment about a week ago in fact.
Just timed out and I gave up.

Anyway, the control box probably screws up due to large static buildup. I'm not sure how you'd go about dissipating it, but i do recommend you be careful to unplug it before you do. I read on AIJ a topic a little while ago where one poor sod blew his usb port AND usb controller after accidentally discharging his mat while it was plugged in.
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

2426. PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's see if this works.....

I tried replying to the previous comment about a week ago in fact.
Just timed out and I gave up.

Anyway, the control box probably screws up due to large static buildup. I'm not sure how you'd go about dissipating it, but i do recommend you be careful to unplug it before you do. I read on AIJ a topic a little while ago where one poor sod blew his usb port AND usb controller after accidentally discharging his mat while it was plugged in.
Syncopation
Trick Member
Trick Member

2427. PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cobalt Flux Arcade 1 Special Edition Reply with quote

maxhavoc wrote:
So I ended up buying one of the Cobalt Flux special editions and I just had my first run in with it.

My overall impressions:
1) Not as stable as I'd like, I mainly wanted a hard pad because my soft pad (Red Octane v5) kept sliding around on my carpet and messing me up, I really wanted a nice, stable pad that wouldn't move around while I flailed about like an idiot (doing DDR). Despite being rather heavy, the Cobalt Flux slides around pretty easily, it moved an inch or so over the course of a few songs, obviously not as bad as the Red Octane, but still annoying. On the plus side, that does make it easier to slide under the bed for storage.

2) There is a clear, plastic or plexiglass (or something?) cover over the entire pad which flexes when you push or step on it. I'm not sure if this is normal for the Cobalt Flux (as I've never owned or used a "regular" one) or if it's unique to the special edition, or even if I'm supposed to remove it somehow. It's a bit distracting and feels rather strange when you step on it because it depresses the pad a bit (not the pad itself, but that's how it feels) and it feels wobbly as well.

3) The sensitivity of the arrows is a bit iffy. Sometimes when I tap nothing happens, other times there's a double tap, maybe I'm just not used to it yet or maybe it's a result of the plexiglass cover I mentioned earlier, not sure.

4) The control box seems cheap to me, the cable that attaches the 9-pin serial connector to the plastic case is a bit loose, but since the control box is external and thus doesn't move, maybe it's not a problem, just an observation.

5) Having an external control box is nice (for durability purposes) but rather annoying for playing purposes since the start and back buttons are on it, yes I know I can remap them, but if I use the left-front and right-front buttons like I did on the Red Octane I end up pressing them during the course of the song. I think this is the result of bad habits I picked up from using the Red Octane where I'd rest my feet with the toes on the front buttons because the sensors never quite aligned with the pads on the Red Octane, again, just an observation.

My comments to each of the above quoted points:

1. Normal Cobalt Flux also slides around on carpet a bit even with two pads joined together by the doubles bar. For that, I'll probably look into some carpet spikes such as those used with speaker stands and then drill some holes in the corners of the pad base to accommate the installation of the carpet spikes.

2. Normal Cobalt Flux has clear covering over each arrow panel, so that's nine panels each with an arrow panel covered by the covering and there are small gaps visible in between each panel/covering. If the Arcade Special just uses a one-piece covering along the entire pad surface this would be a new type of covering design. If the Arcade Special is using the same design as the normal Cobalt Flux then do leave that installed to prevent the arrow surface from below the panel covering from wearing out.

3. With the normal Cobalt Flux, I only get the missed step if I step on the panel very close to the edge--since the panel isn't as flexible on the edges vs. being stepped on closer to the middle--or if I step directly on one of the screws securing the panel. I also do get the double-bounce step if I end of sliding my foot on the panel rather than stepping down--I see this more when selecting menu options than during actual gameplay, however. Another type of useful non-error step bounce that can be used with the Cobalt Flux panel design is rising just enough to let the panel come up and then stepping down again just past the threshold of stepping too lightly.

4. I had one of those green-button control boxes fail on me within six months of using it, although my configuration was a PS2 rather than the PC. (What happened is that the Up arrow was also being triggered whenever I pressed the Right arrow.) I had since ordered the newer gray button control boxes with added Pump It Up compatibility (for the PS2 it requires holding down Select + Start on the control box until the PIU Exceed game fully boots up and shows OK) to I swapped out both green button control boxes for the newer ones. Those haven't failed so far.

5. Although they are a separate order, I think that the gray button control boxes that are also PIU compatible seem to be of an overall better construction and a harder external casing vs. the green button control boxes, so check to see if they offer those newer control boxes for the PC.
kalakaflaca
Basic Member
Basic Member

2428. PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cobalt Flux fix, no more ghosting/bouncing/double steps! Reply with quote

Thanks a lot bob for your time posting cf info...very simple how they work so I´d like to build one by myself but if feel i need more especific details about thickness of plates or wiring a few thing I don´t understand yet..velcro as i understand is formed for two parts that when pressed get sticked.. ..four velcro part are glued under the arrow and other four are glued to the buttom plate??..and so firmly sticked both plates?...also is hard to me to think that after hundred hours stepping on the arrows they don´t get bent touching each other..so I think thickness of metal is very important same for velcro ..if you or any other kind guy can post or know somebody that have built one homemade CF that would be apprecciated.Until now I haven´t seen a homemade CF.
Thanks again for your post and others too
kalakaflaca
Basic Member
Basic Member

2429. PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found interesting info..a good dtailed tutorial to make one should be helpful, I´ll be lokking for more info..
for arrows: galvanizade 28 gauge...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
for velcro:
Why are the new cobalt fluxes not as sensitive as the old cobalt fluxes?
Are the new ones still using the same gauge size for the sheet metal
contacts as the old ones?
Like are the new cobalt fluxes sheet metal contacts more or
less flexible than the old cobalt flux sheet metal contacts?
What is in between the 2 sheet metal contacts? Is the new and
old cobalt flux both using the same thing to separate the 2 sheet metal
contacts?
I don't know if they changed anything. If there has been a sensitivity
change, the main reason would be the spacing between the buttons
(vertical). The ground sheet and the nine individual buttons are
separated by 4 circular pieces of Velcro, 1 inch in diameter.
This Velcro serves 3 purposes. One is to separate the ground sheet
from the tops of the bottoms. Two is to keep the upper sheet metal
piece in place in addition to the screws. The third reason is as a
contact point for the wiring.

If the thickness of the Velcro has changed then a sensitivity
change may occur, but I am not sure if the new ones are less sensitive
than the old ones at all.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

2430. PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the universe pads having no/few good alternatives, I'm sure the demand would be quite huge. If you can publicise it and have it work properly, should be fine. Just advertise it elsewhere (IE Zenius, r21, etc etc)
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122
Page 122 of 122

Jump to: