Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Cobalt Flux Dance Platform
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 120, 121, 122  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josheee
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, one thing I have not seen covered here:

Has anyone used these with Xbox? I am really interested in this pad (it sounds like the best out there) but how can I make one work with my Xbox?

If not this one...what's the best pad for the Xbox? (post a link to an existing thread if neccessary).
View users profile Send private message
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine with Xbox all the time. Well, okay, those times when I feel like playing Ultramix.

There are three different ways to use a CF with an Xbox. I will put them in order of expense. E1.gif

1) Purchase a PS2 -> Xbox converter like the GameElements converter carried by Wal-Mart ($13). It works well with the CF control box, but the converter will make your pad show up as a controller during Xbox Live play. And, because of that, Ultramix will not automatically disable the corners. Ultramix 2 will let you set the corners manually, so it will cease to be an issue in about a month.

2) Buy a RedOctane dual platform control box and create a CF -> RO conversion cable. You'll have the benefit of support for both PS2 and Xbox in one control box, but like solution #1, the RO control box does not register as a dance pad in Ultramix.

3) Build your own Xbox control box. See my sig for links to two such projects. Cost is around $30 to build the cheap version, but that assumes you already have the tools and basic supplies necessary.

BuyNShop carries a PS2 -> Xbox converter that it claims is "100% Xbox Live" compatible, but it's more like 50%. It will show your CF as a pad, but does so intermittently. When I wrote to BNS asking about that particular issue, they notified me that they never tested it with Xbox Live. So, uh, take that as you will.

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
FujiFlame
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinistar wrote:
1) Purchase a PS2 -> Xbox converter like the GameElements converter carried by Wal-Mart ($13). It works well with the CF control box, but the converter will make your pad show up as a controller during Xbox Live play. And, because of that, Ultramix will not automatically disable the corners. Ultramix 2 will let you set the corners manually, so it will cease to be an issue in about a month.

umm...will it not show as a pad on U2 either? or do u not know, or what?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
josheee
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinistar, thanks for the answers.

A couple more questions:

So if I don't use Xbox Live (and I'm not saying I don't WANT to, but if I choose not to) then will I be able to play it offline with no flaws? Does option number 1 for example cause any lag in response time? Like....someone might get a B on a song instead of their usual A because of the adapter? Or is it seemless except for online mode?

As far as Xbox live goes, what;s the drawback of it showing up as a controller? Will less people play with me or something?

Also.....when you say it will not disable the corners, does that mean if I step on the corner I'll get a miss, or wouldn't that just be like hitting any other arrow by mistake while dancing (it doesn't matter what you touch by mistake....just what you touch on purpose at the right time, right?)

Sorry about these questions.....I'm sort of new to this thing, but I want to do it RIGHT.
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FujiFlame wrote:
umm...will it not show as a pad on U2 either? or do u not know, or what?

Correct. Even though you'll be able to manually disable corners, the pad will still show up as a controller when playing on Xbox Live.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josheee wrote:
So if I don't use Xbox Live (and I'm not saying I don't WANT to, but if I choose not to) then will I be able to play it offline with no flaws?

You should see no lag with that particular converter. I have four of them and haven't noticed any problems using any of them.

josheee wrote:
As far as Xbox live goes, what;s the drawback of it showing up as a controller? Will less people play with me or something?

The drawback is that some people will accuse you (via their Communicators) of being a controller whore. It's petty, but it does happen.

josheee wrote:
Also.....when you say it will not disable the corners, does that mean if I step on the corner I'll get a miss, or wouldn't that just be like hitting any other arrow by mistake while dancing (it doesn't matter what you touch by mistake....just what you touch on purpose at the right time, right?)

It depends on the timing of the corner step. If you hit a corner just as a valid arrow is about to hit on screen, the game will record that corner hit as your attempt and reward you with an Almost or a Miss instead of waiting for your valid arrow step milliseconds later. In beginner level tracks, this isn't so much of an issue, but as you get above the 6 footer level, it will become a problem. There are a number of ways to modify the Flux to make corners a non-issue, but the best option is for the game to support disabling them during play. Ultramix 1 and Extreme US are the only mixes right now that don't let you manually control this function through the game interface.

josheee wrote:
Sorry about these questions.....I'm sort of new to this thing, but I want to do it RIGHT.

No problem. You can't be too cautious about spending $300 on a dance pad. E1.gif

|cey
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone that bought this pad, satisfied with it? I mean.. like.. no cracks or anything like I heard from the TX-2000/1000 and RedOctane.. Hopefully everyone with this pad has great output from it.. thanks for reply those who do! E13.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The drawback is that some people will accuse you (via their Communicators) of being a controller whore. It's petty, but it does happen.

That's pretty funny. Presently, I don't see that being a problem for me....seeing as how I'm not very good. I've played on live exactly three times, and I've only won once. If I did have a pad, and it did show up as a controller.....and some kid didn't believe that it was a pad, screw them. That's their problem, not mine.

Besides....what about the people who play DDR with a controller because they don't have a pad?

I wouldn't think it would be as bad as like.....being a camper, or griefing your teammates in a FPS game. Maybe you just don't have the money for a dance pad?

Thanks for that info though, I found it informative and funny at the same time.

Quote:
Ultramix 1 and Extreme US are the only mixes right now that don't let you manually control this function through the game interface.

Does anyone here know if the new version of DDR on the Xbox will be able to control the corners?
Marvel627
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sorry if im being repetitive but i didnt get an answer before) I can now either choose to build 2 riptide pads or get a cobalt flux pad with my parents paying for the costs.Which would you guys recommend? Which is more arcade like? Thanx
Slooog
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: how long ur cf's take? Reply with quote

I ordered a double pack of cf's..... i was just wondering how long it took anyone who got them to actually get them.. Cuz it seems that they are taking their sweet buttocks time to build mine and ship them out
Basic Member
Basic Member

30. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: how long ur cf's take? Reply with quote

Slooog wrote:
I ordered a double pack of cf's..... i was just wondering how long it took anyone who got them to actually get them.. Cuz it seems that they are taking their sweet buttocks time to build mine and ship them out

how long ago did you order? they say that they usually take 2-3 weeks to be delivered from the time they're first ordered. i ordered mine about a week ago and the status on it is still "being built"
Shinmizu
Staff Member
Staff Member

31. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me about three, maybe three and a half weeks, to get mine, but that was 15 months ago. I don't know how their shipping is nowadays.
For a Good time, call 555-1212 and ask for Susan. For a Great time, call 555-3487 and ask for Mindy. For a Perfect time, call 555-6341 and ask for Stephanie. For a Marvelous time, call 555-6341 and ask for Stephanie's mom.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
DTR2005
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel627 wrote:
(sorry if im being repetitive but i didnt get an answer before) I can now either choose to build 2 riptide pads or get a cobalt flux pad with my parents paying for the costs.Which would you guys recommend? Which is more arcade like? Thanx

Get The CF. You Will Love It E13.gif
Slooog
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i ordered mine last tuesday... so i guess i got at least another 2 weeks to go... sigh
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess my friend got lucky,he got his in a week
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josheee wrote:
Does anyone here know if the new version of DDR on the Xbox will be able to control the corners?

Ultramix 2 for Xbox will allow you to manually disable the corners, or so it was said by Order of Chaos in the Ultramix 2 thread. (OoC works at KCEH, so his statements are taken as fact.)

|cey
Trick Member
Trick Member

36. PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you CF users play SM with it? If so, how is it? I was planning to get one and play with stepmania on my pc (duh?), but it doesn't say it's made for PC, only for ps/ps2 (I only have ps1), plus all that bother getting the games.. itself.. thanks to those who reply! E15.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the CF forums, you'll see that experiences with the CF and StepMania are all over the map, depending largely upon converter compatibility issues.

The standard CF control box just seems to have a lot of lag issues with most PS2 -> USB converters. PS2 -> Parallel adapters look like they work well, but you can typically hook up only one pad to the PC using that interface.

As I've built my own control boxes, I don't really run into lag issues using USB adapters. But, again, a search on the CF forums for 'adapter', 'lag', and 'stepmania' will bring up volumes of info.

josheee
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, last night....I was lucky enough to get to finally see (and try) both a Cobalt Flux pad and a Red Octane pad. The Red Octane felt cheap and flimsy next to the CF, and the owner told me he had already cracked two arrows on his RO pad.

I didn't play on the RO, I went straight to the CF and it felt great. He was also (drum roll) running it through his Xbox. I've made my decision....this is my pad.

Next question: Did any of you folks find yourself buying one and then wanting a second one later so you could play doubles or two pad songs? I'm probably not ever going to need a second one, but just thought I'd check with people who may have felt the same way at one time and regret it now. E1.gif
josheee
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the CF site, there is a spot for "Coupon Codes".

Are there any coupons to speak of? I'm interested in ordering one, and that would really help if there is a coupon somewhere.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 120, 121, 122  Next
Page 2 of 122

Jump to: