Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Mad Catz Beat Pad / Beat Pad Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowfactor
Basic Member
Basic Member

40. PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice:

I do have the BPP PS2/XBOX and use it on my PS2
These are the second set of mats that don't work.
I tried moving it around in the controller slot as you suggested, but nothing (both controllers/both slots)

So, I suspect the controller circuit board may be pooched.

Thanks again
View users profile Send private message
wowfactor
Basic Member
Basic Member

41. PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after exchanging my PS2 console for a new one, and getting 2 Brand New Madcatz mats...THE SAME THING HAPPENED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called Tech Support at Madcatz.

The kind fellow there told me that the Beat Pad Universal relies on the fuse that Controls the Vibration function on a regular controller.

The mats will not work if this fuse is blown.
So, somehow, the mats are causing the fuse to blow.
He wouldn't comment about "issues"

So, I tried a vibration controller in the ports, and the Vibration feature does NOT work anymore.

I can still use the controller, but no vibration.

So, obviously there are issues.

Now there is a Beat Pad that is exclusively for the PS-2 (not universal)

That Beat Pad does NOT Rely on that fuse.

So, in theory, those pads will work even if that fuse is blown.

Well....maybe time to put more $$$$ into some decent pads
Trumpetman4eva
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MadKats beat pad for Xbox. It slides around alot and i was wondering if there was any way i could make it stop doing that (and PLZ do not say buy a better pad. I got these for christmas and i dont have the money to replace them)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Party Boy Japan
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must be hard on your pads, i've had mine since i first got into DDR and its still working. Although it will only work for ps2 since the xbox peice broke off.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ropeadope
Trick Member
Trick Member

44. PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: New Softpad Mod Reply with quote

Heyos, i finished my new pad mod i was secretly building. It's sort of like PitterPanda's, though mine is better =p. Even though it's still in the experimental stages, i think it's going to keep working out very well. I'll just cut to the chase, here's what you need, and what you need to do with it:

A Matcatz Beatpad (box pictured below) - This goes on top of the wood. - 19.99

A 36x36 piece of durable/thick plywood or fiberboard (just has to be durable enough for you to dance on without breaking). You'll probably have to get a 4x4 piece of wood and cut it to 36x36, which can be done by a handsaw if needed - Price will vary depending on what you can find. I got a 4x4 piece of fiberboard at lowes for about 11 bucks. It's quite durable, and not too heavy, don't see it breaking for a long, long time.

A 32x32 piece of thick, durable foam- This will probably be the toughest thing to find actually, i had a hell of a time finding some, i went everywhere - Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Walmart, and some other places. I had to look in my yellow pages under "Foam" and found some places that specialize in it, then i found a foam i thought would work well, and bought it, they cut it by the yard, and it cost about $25 bucks, which i got cut 2 pieces with, so if my current foam pad ever wears out, i can replace it with the other piece. There are pics below of what the foam looks like, you should try and get something that looks very similar if possible, it can't be too cushiony, and it can't be too hard. The foam goes on top of the pad. There's a white line under the Start and Select buttons, that's where i put it. - Price of this may vary as well

Packing Tape - What i did is just taped the pad on to the wood tightly, so the stuff on the inside of the pad stays put and doesn't slip around or get smooshed up inside, this alone will make the pad last longer. I started taping top to bottom from the White line (under the start/select buttons). Keep wrapping the tape around to the bottom of the pad, the tape will go sideways (left to right or right to left), the tape should be long enough for some tape to be on the back side, so you don't have to wrap it all the way around the wood, just enough so the tape will stay tight on there. So everything above the white line, directly under the start/select buttons, goes untampered with, not covered by tape or foam. I used Scotch Super Strength tape. It's clear, not that it matters because you won't be able to see the madcatz pad anyways. I also taped the foam on from the sides, which you can kinda see in one of the pics. Probably not the best method of attaching the foam, i might have to find another way to keep the foam on there.- Probably about 3 bucks or so. I'm not sure because i already had this (along with most of the other supplies).

Nonslip material - This isn't required, but it's very nice to have. This goes on the bottom of the wood of course. I have wood flooring in my room so i cut up one of my mother's old ugly yoga pads and used a staple gun to attach it to the bottom of the wood. Pics below of this as well, it's ugly like i said, but works very well, the pad doesn't move at all now, it just stays put like the ones at the arcade. If you play on carpet, you might not need any non slip stuff, the wood just might stay put, but if not, you can get one of those spiky chair mats, and put that on somehow. - Prices will vary

I think that's it, i probably made it sound much more complicated than it is. I think the foam padding on top, coupled with tightly taping down the Madcatz pad will really help the longevity of the pad. The best part is, it works GREAT. I was really amazed when i tried it for the first time, i didn't think it would work that well. If something goes wrong you can probably fix it yourself. Another great thing is that the Madcatz pad for 20 bucks comes with a very nice 5 year warranty, so you can keep sending them back in and they will send you a brand new one, in the box. I think this is the best idea for players who want a great pad without spending $300+ on a Cobalt Flux. That's why i made it, because there wasn't enough good choices out there.

Though i don't know how long it will last, only time will tell. Maybe the foam will wear down and tear, maybe the pad will break first, maybe the wood will break first, i dunno (doubt it =p) - But I've played really hard on it 4 times as of now, and there is no visable wear on the foam, and no other problems at all. It's made DDR a lot funner for me. Like i said, i think it will last a long time. If anything goes wrong i'll give an update of sorts (in this thread i suppose). I'm also open to any questions, since i probably made some of the details confusing. Who will be next to try this mod? Anyone up for it?

Here's the pics:

and you can look here's some more:
http://adaman.homestead.com/files/Room/padpic2.jpg
http://adaman.homestead.com/files/Room/padpic4.jpg
http://adaman.homestead.com/files/Room/padpic5.jpg
v_3Sterns
Basic Member
Basic Member

45. PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Mod question/Beat Pad Pro Reply with quote

I purchased two of these pads (maybe a mistake now) with the intent to mod them by placing them on top of one large piece of particle board and stapling vinyl floor covering over them (I want to play doubles).
Im a little concerned though over how damn poor in quality these things are, I might as well have been wearing skates the material on these pads is so loose and slippery. Compared to my old konami pad from the ultramix bundle, these things have no real non-slip surface anywhere.

Should I go ahead with my modding plan? Or is there a better set of softpads to use, I wish I could buy two of the official konami ones (I actually have faith in them) to mod but I can't seem to find them without the bundle anywhere.

Any help or advice for this noob would be greatly appreciated.
dropoutextreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those pads, and then i bought a 1" foam insert pad, and that piece of crap broke in like less than a week... I dont know what it was, but my madcat one still works, and i've had it for over a year.
wathomas777
Trick Member
Trick Member

47. PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Sorry dude, but I would go even go with the Gamestop pad's. Reply with quote

ddrdude1125 wrote:
I have the MadKats beat pad for Xbox. It slides around alot and i was wondering if there was any way i could make it stop doing that (and PLZ do not say buy a better pad. I got these for christmas and i dont have the money to replace them)

I know you don't have the money, but I would even consider saving up or something to get the 'gamestop' pads. They are only 20 bucks a piece and although they may not last as long as the mad catz (which I doubt the mad catz are that durable), they are made of a material that prevents slipage alot better. Especially on the top portion.

I nearly broke my butt on the Mad Catz, and could feel the pain in my legs from almost losing balance all the time.

took em back and went with the game stop models. They may not last as long, but at least they are nice while they last.
Dark Inuyasha
Basic Member
Basic Member

48. PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I still remenber.... Mad Catz was my first ddr pad, pluss the only one I have and it doesnt work I have to say it lasted long but now the down arrow is damage and besaides even if it werent damaged I dont practice in it cuz it slips all over the flor is a pece of crap but what can I say I bought it when I started I wasnt even sure I was gonna be so much into the game and now look at me I'm a ddr freak
Ghettoman-DDR
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a wword of advice... Don't place all your faith in Madcatz hardware because the company does not build them to last long...

Intec Dance pads are very durable and will last for a long time..

Power isn't everything for a console, added Miyamoto, "Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction."
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dropoutextreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghettoman-DDR wrote:
Here's a wword of advice... Don't place all your faith in Madcatz hardware because the company does not build them to last long...

dude, like i said, I've had mine for over a year and it still plays the same way as when i bought it...
v_3Sterns
Basic Member
Basic Member

51. PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the sensors in this pad smaller than the konami pad? I seem to be missing alot more when only half my foot touches the arrow.
dropoutextreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure in they are smaller, because i have never played on the konami pad, but i haven't had too many problems with the sensors...
Party Boy Japan
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropoutextreme wrote:
Ghettoman-DDR wrote:

dude, like i said, I've had mine for over a year and it still plays the same way as when i bought it...

Intec...ROFLMAO! Dude i have a Intec foam pad and its the biggest non-responsive great-giving peice of poopy i ever used in my life. I ended up buying a RO Ignition. E4.gif
Akira_247
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: coldddddddddddd Reply with quote

just to warn people if someone hasnt posted this already. Don't get these pads cold beacause if they hit the slightest thing they'll tear. I took my pad to a party and left my pad in th car overnight at 4 degrees and it got a huge rip next to the control box but it still works fine since i put duct tape on it!!!!
These r great for any person who plays DDR.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
greatsayaman
Basic Member
Basic Member

55. PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pad is the worst. I used my friends and after 2 songs on light I couldn't stand it anymore. It bunched up really badly and slips around alot. I don't like it at all and I warn anyone who would consider to buy one to please look for something else. You'll thank me. Truely you will.

devil.gif Greatsayaman devil.gif
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Stadsport
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy this card, carpet tape and staple the corners to plywood as soon as you get it out of the box. I have the blue PS2 version. If you don't hardwood mod it right away it'll die after only a few songs. Mine's lasted since November and I can still do some 10 footers on it with arcade timing. biggrin.gif
Oh and I've taken them apart. The sensors are the exact same shape as the decals you see on the surface.

Just a note, the dual platform version doesn't work for poopy on USB/Parallel adapters.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MolotovCat
Basic Member
Basic Member

57. PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use this pad with your PS2, there is a chance it will screw up your controller ports. After using the pad, analog controllers no longer work with my PS2. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by replacing a fuse & what type of fuse I would need?

Anways, I modded my Beat Pad and it works great. Used particle board & vinyl hardwood floor covering, clear duct tape, and carpet tape. I love this pad now. When are modding it make sure the material you use to cover the pad is tight enough so the pad will be responsive and you don't get wrinkles in the material.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Super_Trooper
Basic Member
Basic Member

58. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for ropeadope: When taping the pad to the plywood, did you cover the pad? Or did you just put a strip every few inches? I'm looking to get into DDR and your mod looks like a very inexpensive alternative to a metal pad.

Oh, can you use shoes on that?
ropeadope
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much covered it in tape, yes. There's a white line under the Start/Select buttons, i started taping down from that line. Think of a Striped shirt (horizontal stripes), and just going from top to bottom like that, in lines of tape. And the tape doesn't need to go all the way around the plywood, no need to wrap it. Just enough so it will stay put. Also no, you probably can't play on it with shoes, you might be able too, i dunno, depends on the shoes i guess. Hope that helps you out, can post here or PM me with any other questions.

By the way, my modded pad is still working great, no signs of wear and tear on the foam either. It's really holding up thumb.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: