Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Hoping to build an ASC, pop'n style

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTTB
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Hoping to build an ASC, pop'n style Reply with quote

Hi all. ^__^ I'm planning on building a Pop'n Music ASC very, very soon, and need loads of textual information.

First, I know that the spacing is 14.7 cm, correct? I don't understand if this is between the buttons, or from the bottom row to the top row? Secondly, what size piece of wood should I use for the faceplate (plate of wood that holds the buttons) and how big should the holes be? How thick should the wood be? What type wood?

I don't need to know the diagram of which button on the dualshock corresponds to the buttons, but what I don't understand is the whole soldering process. Please understand that you're dealing with a 14 year old here, I was never taught these things by anyone. I understand that you have to solder a ground wire, but I don't understand what that means, or how to go about doing that. Also, I don't see/know/understand the importance of doing this. On the dwi.kindlespine.com website, it mentions daisychaining the whole controller, I don't know what this means, even though it explains it.

When I solder the buttons, what part am I soldering to?

I don't fully understand the concept of a barier strip, do I need to use these?

Why do they connect the buttons in the dwi.kindlespine website directions?

If it helps, I'm going to be using jumbo dome wico buttons.

Thank you all for your help, I'll be posting back with more questions as I find problems.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man that's awesome that you're makin an ASC pop'n music controller.i'd like to see the end results when your done with it.have fun building it!
Larrikin
Contributor
Contributor

2. PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM Random. He may be able to help you.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's usually not on when I need to talk to him, but I can't wait till he is.

Thanks for advice, Lar.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I decided on making a controller with the same design as dwi.kindlespine.com, I know it's not arcade acurate, but cash is tight, adn I'm impatient for wicothesource.com to come back (if it will), any more advice?
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically, you'll have to connect all the buttons to ground on the controller.

easiest way to do this is to solder ground wires from pnm buttons A to B, B to C, C to D, etc., then connect this chain (daisy chain) to the ground on the controller. it's easier to keep track of what you are doing if you use wire in 1 color for this, I think black is the common color for it.

then you solder the other end of the pnm button to the corresponding button on the controller. use a different color from the one you used for the grounding wire.

it might be useful to stick a small note in the controller stating which colors are which, so it's easier to repair might that be neccessary.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: