Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Is DDR dying the U.S.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basu
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Is DDR dying the U.S. Reply with quote

I have been hearing from some people that ddr is dying in the U.S.

do you think it's true.

I don't care if it was i'd still play just kinda disappointed of the unlikelyness of a new u.s. release
Flarone
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were you 20-someodd days ago!? DDREx US!
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yeah but the DDR sales are dying in the US. After the US version came out of DDR EX, no wonder sales are down, lol. everyone is buying the japanese version.
eryk
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR has been dead since 2001.
View users profile Send private message
skie
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends if you are talking about home DDR or arcade DDR. Arcade DDR-- well I'd say yes it is, with no new official mix in the past couple years or so.

However, home DDR-- I'd say it's very much alive... we just had DDR Extreme come out with some new features (eyetoy), and we have Ultramix 2 coming out soon, with a wide variety of songs, new features (quad mode) and X-box live support, to keep the game going online.

Even when the game stops being made someday, I think there will still be a little cult of DDR fans, as there are for most things that will forever be etched into the history of pop culture E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are hearing wrong my friends. Even though market sales show that U.S. versions of console games stink. That doesnt mean the popularity and cult of DDR is slowing down.
Especially don't take advice on DDR from people who hate or don't play DDR.
They are evil sadists bent on ruining people's personal views and beliefs.

DDR!!! DDR!!!!! The world Revolution!!!
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it would go up if 1/3 of the tracklist didn't consist of stages everybody already owned. biggrin.gif

What DDR here needs, is a mix of equal difficulty, substance, and replay to JP Extreme (in ALL aspects), without necessarily being a carbon-copy. Using some different equally-popular songs (KO's/BEMANI x-overs too), and making stepsets on par with it's overseas counterpart. With enough new content (NOT from JP DDR's) to warrant it being called a NEW MIX (EX-US almost cuts it there, but not quite... lacks a bit in the KO side). It would also help if 4/5 of our "secret hidden stages" weren't reruns, too.

Let's hope they stray a little from the "MAX 2"/"EXTREME" formula though. You know, that one where they take "x stages from every JP mix ever", toss the weaker half of the "home version stages" from their month-away release; 1 Extra Stage, 1 Encore/Fake Extra Stage; and a bunch of hidden OLD stuff, so that the more you unlock, the more ripped you realize you were. They bundle Oni Remixes in with their "classic titles", to play it off as both a 4th difficulty AND a seperate track? WTH?! Plus, incoherent courses that don't necessarily increase in difficulty, and making advanced Expert Modes like ONI/CHALLENGE "n00b-accessible". E10.gif

Oh yeah. Set X-Box versions one MAX stage behind, and PS2 versions one PARANOiA behind. So if you don't have both, you're missing half the action, and if you do have both, you can't use them together anyways.

Okay, I must admit... the Music Videos are a good touch, and the new regional licenses are at least half-full of good substance, could trade some weaker stepsets for harder ones though. "Music (Bostik Radio Edit)" is a prime example of squandered potential.

Ultramix 2 could be the deciding factor here, too. And I really wouldn't call a future release "unlikely". A TRULY MAGNIFICENT release however... blink.gif ("Satisfactory" would not be pushing it... look at the readily-available content there is; even if they do a SOLID JP/EU cross-mix...)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Molobolo
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skie wrote:
I think it really depends if you are talking about home DDR or arcade DDR. Arcade DDR-- well I'd say yes it is, with no new official mix in the past couple years or so.

However, home DDR-- I'd say it's very much alive... we just had DDR Extreme come out with some new features (eyetoy), and we have Ultramix 2 coming out soon, with a wide variety of songs, new features (quad mode) and X-box live support, to keep the game going online.

Even when the game stops being made someday, I think there will still be a little cult of DDR fans, as there are for most things that will forever be etched into the history of pop culture E10.gif

Actualy...I think ur Backwards lol..
BTTB
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends. I've been an avid DDR player for about 4 years now, and I'm loosing interest, but mainly because I barely play. I loved DDR, and still do partially, and I think DDR will last for some time to come.
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! What if DDR is (gasp) a fad? blink.gif

Meh, what are you gonna do? Even if it is im still playing.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Molobolo
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol reminds me of that southpark epidose with the chinpokomon...
Osiris X
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoloBolo wrote:

Haha, no matter how many parents start playing ddr, i wont stop.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big black pit of despair wrote:
It all depends. I've been an avid DDR player for about 4 years now, and I'm loosing interest, but mainly because I barely play. I loved DDR, and still do partially, and I think DDR will last for some time to come.

I'm exactly the same way.

I can do whatever I want to be.
Johnny D
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big black pit of despair wrote:

Yeah same here due to college and stuff, but I always play every chance I get!
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would appreciate if one more mix was released in the US. but even if it does end, it might not be so bad. sure many of the greats of ddr will eventually die out or grow up and leave ddr. but then we'll have something special. the true players will have survived and there will be very few but great. while a vast amount of machines will fall into disrepair, the lucky few will be spared and sent to the special places where only the best play. no little kids messing up the pads, no disrespectful punks hating on you, no parents asking how you move your feet so fast. the tourneys held will be greater than that of cyberbeatnation. we will be considered the kids who play that old game which you danced on and it will amaze them and such funny talk.

dude, i gotta stop watching fantasy movies. seriously
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I love this game way too much to give up on it now...I still haven't beaten Sakura heavy. Keep in mind this is also coming from the girl who still plays Pokémon *runs*
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryudori wrote:
LOL, I love this game way too much to give up on it now...I still haven't beaten Sakura heavy. Keep in mind this is also coming from the girl who still plays Pokémon *runs*

Pokemone Rules!!

if only I could find someone to play against...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
tekkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoloBolo wrote:

A bit off topic but...
"Hello,brothers and sisters, we need to join together, we need to join together so that I can get more money so I can buy more chinpokomon..."
Hilarious laugh.gif

I don't think it's dying, this message board is filled with U.S. residents who love DDR. Konami probably just thinks it is. frust.gif
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran DDR in NYC this weekend. Ask anyone who was there about the turnout and the crowds and then ask yourself if DDR is dying.
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, we all know IT'S ON HIATUS in Japan.

You know, rethink the game to make it fun again. DUH.

Hopefully they'll have a KCEH-type budget to make some awesome BG movies to start with.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: