Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Secretly locking threads and Forum Maintenece

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Platinum Jedi
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Secretly locking threads and Forum Maintenece Reply with quote

How's it goin?
Cure my curiosity, mods and admins, if you lock a thread without posting a reason for it, it does not "bump" the thread, right? I've noticed that when I see a locked thread, the last user posted is not a mod or admin. So if one of you guys decides to lock a thread that like buried in page 7 in a board and secretly lock it, it will not get "bumped", right. I hope you guys understood what I'm asking.

Also, when the forums are "closed for maintence", what goes on? Do the mods and admins delete old/locked threads in order to make more bandwidth avaliable? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Take care!

Regards,

Gerald
Administrator
Administrator

1. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, if a thread gets locked, it will not get bumped unless there is a new post.

Maintenance, however, can mean any number of different things.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we sometimes lock threads because the thread creator asked the that it be locked or, so much crap is going on in the thread that we'd rather not bring attention to it by replying to it and locking it because replying to it will bump it back up.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Secretly locking threads and Forum Maintenece Reply with quote

gdogg(Icecold)400 wrote:
Also, when the forums are "closed for maintence", what goes on? Do the mods and admins delete old/locked threads in order to make more bandwidth avaliable? Correct me if I'm wrong.
That sounds like two separate questions.

Yes, old threads (really, REALLY old) do get deleted, whether they're locked or not. Generally speaking, anything without a new post in six months that isn't already Stickied or marked as an Announcement.

As for what goes on when forums are "closed for maintenance", it's likely just a database backup or re-indexing for performance. These things require the database to be temporarily locked. You can't make a database backup if someone's busy trying to modify it (eg - posting).

EDIT: Grar...there weren't any replies when I posted. E15.gif Dunno why I didn't see JA's post...

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
nystargate
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Secretly locking threads and Forum Maintenece Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
Yes, old threads (really, REALLY old) do get deleted, whether they're locked or not. Generally speaking, anything without a new post in six months that isn't already Stickied or marked as an Announcement.

If I remember correctly, the old threads are not deleted. They are archived somewhere...
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Rychan
Contributor
Contributor

5. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Console Games, Jason has been locking without a reply lately if the question that was asked in the thread was answered.
Staff Member
Staff Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Secretly locking threads and Forum Maintenece Reply with quote

nystargate wrote:
If I remember correctly, the old threads are not deleted. They are archived somewhere...
I believe you're right, but since there's no way for the general public to access them, it's not a lot different from "mv prune_archive /dev/null". E13.gif

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
The Platinum Jedi
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for your response to my questions. biggrin.gif I appreciate it.

At least when the forums are closed, it's getting fixed. It's worth the wait.

Gerald
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys use linux servers?
View users profile Send private message
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
dj Tifaheart
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some threads get locked by request of the original poster. *shrugg*

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: