Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

-Oolong's DDR Genre Guide- discontinued
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: -Oolong's DDR Genre Guide- discontinued Reply with quote

this is just turning into a big flamewar. mods please lock.

"If there were a country in the world called Funia, Disco House would be its national anthem, as well as the name of its capital city. I was once walking down the street late one night when a hooker called to me from the curb, asking me if I was looking for some fun. "No thanks, Miss" I replied, pulling out a set of headphones. "I've got Disco House, the most fun there is." - Ishkur

Last edited by Oolong on Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone wants an incomplete genre list pm me

"If there were a country in the world called Funia, Disco House would be its national anthem, as well as the name of its capital city. I was once walking down the street late one night when a hooker called to me from the curb, asking me if I was looking for some fun. "No thanks, Miss" I replied, pulling out a set of headphones. "I've got Disco House, the most fun there is." - Ishkur

Last edited by Oolong on Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 5 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*reserved in case of overflow*

GR
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Holy.........!!! Cool! Reply with quote

Dude, um, a few things......
Paranoias?
Gamelan de Couple?
I thought you said you were going to embolden the ones that exemplified the genre?
Toytown seems kind of small . . .
Aside from that, this is an amazing accomplishment. Go, you!
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You for got alotta songs i think.

how would you place:
Waka Laka
Captian Jack
R3

and I think AfroNova is kinda like that Jungle stuff you were talkin bout. I mean it even sounds like its sorta in the jungle.

View users profile Send private message Send email
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doregard: waka laka is happy hardcore.
captain jack and R3 i'm not sure about, i'll have to listen to them again
jungle is kind of a misleading name, because it actually means the urban jungle which i think is some kind of thing in jamaica? anyway, the genre that sounds like it's kind of made in the jungle is called Tribal, as i've said i haven't added all the genres yet.

gr: all the paranoias are d&b. gamelan de couple is really hard to place because it's so traditional asian folk sounding, same with sakura. but i'll find places for them eventually
crap, i forgot to bold them, i'll do that now
toytown doesn't have many entries because there's not that many toytown songs in ddr, but i felt like it needed a category. i could have split pop into europop and jpop too, maybe i'll do that.
thanks for your imput guys

gL.Karl
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 'A' listed under the genre Breakbeats....
You have 'Mobo Moga' listed under Drum n Bass....
You also have 'BreakDown' listed as a Pop song...

I'm sure any person who has the slightest understanding of music genres, or even an afficionado of BEMANI music can see where i'm going with this.
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A is hard to classify but if you listen to the drums they are what i would call breaks
mobo moga has a d&b drum line, and i know it would fit better in a different genre but i wanted to keep them simple for now
breakdown is poppy. it really is.

how about instead of just telling me i'm wrong, suggesting what genres YOU would put them in, k

Larrikin
Contributor
Contributor

8. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oolong wrote:
A is hard to classify but if you listen to the drums they are what i would call breaks
mobo moga has a d&b drum line, and i know it would fit better in a different genre but i wanted to keep them simple for now

how about instead of just telling me i'm wrong, suggesting what genres YOU would put them in, k

Breakdown is definitely some kind of rock, that how its classified atleast. Look at the genres for the songs that are in other bemani (where you can actually see their genre).
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larrikin wrote:
Oolong wrote:

Breakdown is definitely some kind of rock, that how its classified atleast. Look at the genres for the songs that are in other bemani (where you can actually see their genre).

that's what i was suspecting. but i wasn't sure. i'll change it.

SPF5.DannyBoy
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have 'A' listed under the genre Breakbeats....
You have 'Mobo Moga' listed under Drum n Bass....
You also have 'BreakDown' listed as a Pop song...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Breakdown isn't POP, It's ROCK/GIRL JPOP. I could be wrong abuot jpop
Mobo Moga falls in under the "BOSSA NOVA" section.
A is fucking Classical + FAST DRUM BEATS !!! But then again, its really classified as "RENIASANNCE" or whoever you spell.
View users profile Send private message
Turboneko
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"gamelan de couple is really hard to place because it's so traditional asian folk sounding"

...how is it asian? last time i checked gamelan de couple is in SPANISH. How many japs you see with maracas?

A is not breakbeats.. anyone who looks at the bg in the game or has played it on IIDX knows its RENAISSANCE (sp?).
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaissance is not a genre of electronic or modern music. maybe i should just take A off there and put it in a separate category for songs that suck, because it sucks anyway.
again, i put mobo moga in d&b because i haven't found any other bossa nova songs (except maybe sana morette? i'm not sure) and i didn't want to put it in its own category.
and the gamelan is an indonesian instrument. gamelan de couple is an indonesian syle song. i don't konw why there's cactuses and maracas in the background.

gL.Karl
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you are distinguising BreakDown from other songs in your Rock catergory, such as I'm Gonna Get You, how?

Mobo Moga is Bossa Nova, or maybe you actually ignored all the jazz characteristics of the song for the ending drum section. There is nothing DnB about it at all. For reference, here is a definition of DnB.

Quote:
D'n'b is fast-paced (usually more than 150 bpm up to 200 bpm or more), rhythm-focused electronic with an emphasis on intricate and complex drum sequencing and breaks, coupled with a fat, powerful bottom end. Melodic elements are similarly complexly sequenced, and are usually aggressively electronic and feature many effects. Song structure is very important, as the music often includes many changes. Vocals are relatively uncommon, media sampling is similarly not a regular feature, but really anything and everything that can be sampled and sequenced probably will be.

Moving on to A... do you also think that V is breakbeat? Time for definition.

Quote:
Breakbeat usually features a 4/4 time signature, a snare on 2 and 4, and a tendency to slice up drum loops and rearrange their emphasis (often moving emphasis on and off the third beat). The James Brown/funk influence is often clearly seen in the use of vocal punctuation (“HUNH!”) and the “break” - a point in the track where all elements are suddenly and climactically suspended, followed by a syncopated percussive lead-in or vocal before the other elements resume. While breakbeat is ideal for breakdancing, the syncopation and unusual rhythms can make it difficult for the regular dancefloor crowd.

For additional listening, click: http://www.electronicscene.com/tracks/2424/10323/1/1/1/Spectre_-_Blue_Rinse.m3u

Listening to A, I don't really even think I can compare the track I just listed to it. A doesn't even change up the sequencing... it's the exact same drum loop the entire time (aside from the very beginning). Just because it has that dramatic pause in the middle doesn't automatically mean the song is breakbeat.

With the way you label genres, i'm surprised you haven't listed Beethoven's 9th Symphony under Unhappy Hardcore.
stardf29
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Broken My Heart is Eurobeat, but then again... you don't have a genre for Eurobeat. However, I doubt that Eurobeat is some form of Happy Hardcore...

Mobo*Moga is French Pop, just like all other Orange Lounge songs. Now, whether you should put it in the Pop section for that, I don't know. It is sensible to put it in Drum 'n' Bass, I guess.

And A rocks. It goes in a category of classical music (which, of course, is awesome).
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the more vague connections i'm classifying these simply on the way the drums sound, not any other criteria. once i find another bossanova song, i'll move mobo moga there with it.

*slaps forehead*
why didn't i think of classical! most of the ones i'm having trouble placing could go in there (kakumei, v, a, end of the century)

Last edited by Oolong on Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total
Turboneko
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oolong wrote:
Renaissance is not a genre of electronic or modern music. maybe i should just take A off there and put it in a separate category for songs that suck, because it sucks anyway.

Then maybe we should make a thread for people who try to make guide threads without having a clue as to the song genres and make up genres that dont exist or maybe one for those who suck at making guides? Why make a "guide" if you are going to be bias against songs?

Edit: Eurobeat is NOT a form of happy hardcore. It is a spinoff of italian dance music made popular in the early 90s which later spread to asia.

Last edited by Turboneko on Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Larrikin
Contributor
Contributor

17. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea you also really need a eurobeat section.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little 13itch is like Rock right?
and r3 is definatly heavy in base, so its that one Drum kind

but what would you call MGS2 (Ultra Mix)

View users profile Send private message Send email
gL.sans
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.1.1. is hard house techno break beat drummin lounge bossa trance
View users profile Send private message
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: