Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

State of the Arcade Industry 2004
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junior Asparagus
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: State of the Arcade Industry 2004 Reply with quote

The 1UP gaming site has written an article detailing the conditions of arcades in America. Though not specifically about DDR, it explains the growing challenges that face modern arcades as well as potential possibilities for the future. DDR Freak is mentioned as an example of how some gamers have formed communities around specific games, and how some arcades try to focus on these communities.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, thought this pic in the article was pretty funny... http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/5/0,3363,sz=1&i=58746,00.jpg Good article. Read it this mornin'.
View users profile Send private message
Phoenix Flame
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Arcades will live! Reply with quote

Hmm......Well, hopefully DDR will live on! Maybe in the future they'll make a sequel, where you'll have to use your hands too? It'd have aroows on the sides too, so your hands could hit them. Wow, that'd be interesting...

Ultramix Gamertag: OmyHomyboy
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Daniel
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shoryuken article http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/ext_columns.php?f=176&t=34763 is more insightful and more to the point. But this article is actually pretty good. I would recommend all arcade players reading both.
View users profile Send private message Send email
WeDrinkRitalin
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Whats really weird to think about is...

Atleast here, all the older games (pac-man galaga, etc..) are wayy in the back, with only 12 year old posers going "Hell yeah man, i loved this game since the day!" laugh.gif or people that actually do, remember it from the day...& its always on free play, or like 7 games for a quarter.

in 10-20 years, will DDR be way in the back? with a round for like, 25cents? Will we be those older people talking about how ddr was sweet in the day? E19.gif
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Arcade Article Reply with quote

Eh, its all all stuff I knew last year. And I still do go to arcades. I even recognized every game in those photos. But I wouldn't buy the home version of any Silent Scope game even if it cost me $10. Well, maybe then I could use it to memorize the levels but thats about it.

But since I agree completely with both 1UP and Shoryuken I can just link people to their articles rather than going off on a long rant of my own. E7.gif

Did I see a Beatmania Complete Mix 2 turntable with a sticker in that article? Bonus points for their photographer.
Resident Lune
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine and I talked about how arcades do about a month ago, actually. I had more or less concluded that as time goes on, we're going to see more arcades in places like malls and areas that are surrounded by stores and environments that people flock to. The arcade nearby me is dying at a rapid pace -- no thanks to the managers -- but when I am back at home the two arcades I know that do the best are ones that are in malls.

Stand-alone arcades with nothing but games, games, and games are slowly dying out. There are some that still hold their own, but they seem to be few and far in between.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...arcades near me also seem to be dying out E2.gif

On what they said about how Konami folded by not releasing an up-to-date version of DDR I completely agree and cannot believe Konami were such idiots.

If they had just spent some money instead of being cheap and started out with the 4th or 5th Mix interface, there might be DDR US Arcade Versions out right now besides the crappy ones already out.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the ol' SHGLboss (Bailon) get some pub. E1.gif

Derby Owner's Crack (err... Club) owns.
Nice tidbit on DDR and stuff...
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Kennywood
Staff Member
Staff Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Float Walk wrote:
Good to see the ol' SHGLboss (Bailon) get some pub. E1.gif

Derby Owner's Crack (err... Club) owns.
Nice tidbit on DDR and stuff...

The late SHGL E12.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the arcade at my mall recently closed frust.gif

It was fun too, but it didn't have ddr. I miss the days when arcades were the place to be.

YoshiFan
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 6 malls within a half hour of my house. At one point, all had arcades. Now 1 mall out of those 6 still has an arcade.

I don't like how arcades are changing to entertainment centers like Gameworks. I may be alone on this but I think Gameworks is a disgrace to the arcade industry with their prices. Last time I was there was Summer 2002 at the Philadelphia Gameworks and DDR USA was $3.25 for 4 songs and Max 2 was 3 songs for $3.75! Daytona USA was $3.75 as well. I used to like going to mall arcades and hanging out with friends and going to an arcade where it's almost $4 a game isn't my idea of fun.
sandm000
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: gameworks isn't all bad Reply with quote

I used to go to the gameworks in Indianapolis, where they had USA ($1/3songs) and EXTREME ($2.75/3songs), while the prices for the games is a bit much they also had $20 thursdays, where you could play all they games you wanted from 7-11pm and 2 for tuesday where $20 got you $40 worth of game cards, so while your regular mall arcade was charging $3 a game for its brand new EXTREME you could play for half as much or less at gameworks. Plus the manager put in huge fans on the machine to cool you off while you played.

However, I do like my local mall arcade better than gameworks, it just feels better.

2kM
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going in to detail here, but I'm starting my own arcade soon! Hopefully a player's perspective on what should and shouldn't be will help it grow laugh.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: The Dying Arcades? Reply with quote

The one thing completely overlooked by the article is what kind of games make money in arcades. Unfortunately, it's ticket redemption games, although Ms. Pacman tends to peek in the top ten from time to time.

Ironically, the arcades that do well are the big mega-plex style like Dave & Buster's. This is ironic because people are going to those places to mainly play the same stuff that's in arcades at twice the price.

Malls, on the other hand, actively try to break the leases of arcades unless they need the rent money. My local mall needs the money, or our arcade would have been gone in 2003. They want them gone because they encourage loitering by children and illegal drug use. I wish I could say this is totally wrong, but unfortunately, it is true. I'd rather kids and teenagers loiter in an arcade or mall with their friends than hang out at the grocery store parking lot, but that's just me, I guess.

The cool part about the old arcades in the 70's and 80's is that they had games you simply couldn't play at home. DDR is like that, because the home pads always feel different and don't match the adreneline rush of making a fool of yourself in public! laugh.gif Arcades of the present simply have to match the thrill of playing games you can't match at home: Mocap, Fighting Mania, almost all Bemani, sit-down driving games, Silent Scope, etc.

Games that can be matched at home should be in multigaming systems that can be switched out easily, and to match the arcade thrills they should but experimental or cutting edge. If they fail, you're only down a little until you order another game. And here's a wild concept: make arcades supplement home games. Earn secret characters. Play between sequels. Sneak previews of home games coming at Christmas. Side quests for RPGs. And most importantly, be the master of the arcade and the home systems combined!

I think the optimism of the article is well-placed, but we're currently in a second "slump" of the arcade industry. The first slump was about '84-90. There are many exciting innovations that should spice things up: rollable screens for unique, wrap-around views. Thin-air flat displays that project images on disturbances in the air immediately above--and they're touch-sensitive! Retinal VR projectors.

As for DDR, and the other bemani games, they've really only scratched the surface of how complex this things can get and how well players, especially the younger ones, can pull off the complex motions.

Who wears a purple belt with green pants?
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Arcades Reply with quote

YoshiFan wrote:
DDR USA was $3.25 for 4 songs and Max 2 was 3 songs for $3.75! Daytona USA was $3.75 as well. I used to like going to mall arcades and hanging out with friends and going to an arcade where it's almost $4 a game isn't my idea of fun.

Whoa! The average price in New England is a $1 for either 3 or 4 songs. The most expensive DDR I've ever seen was in New York City and that was $2 for the same. If anyone is charging 13 coins for a credit they're insane even if that is the most profitable setting.

And if Daytona USA is $3.75 then Rush2049 must be $5 or something. Sheesh.

Quote:

Malls, on the other hand, actively try to break the leases of arcades unless they need the rent money. They want them gone because they encourage loitering by children and illegal drug use.

I don't know about the illegal drug use part but yeah, malls do hate arcades. They used to love 'em but now they don't. I used to have an arcade in a mall that was walking distance from my house but the mall evicted them for having exceptionally poor customer service. Whatever.
Misaki's Midnite Blaze
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Tiko wrote:
Heh, thought this pic in the article was pretty funny... http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/5/0,3363,sz=1&i=58746,00.jpg Good article. Read it this mornin'.

Haaaheeehahaahahahaa

Aw man that made my day lol anywho that article was really interesting, I remember a while ago I recorded the 10 o'clock News here in the SF Bay Area that did a story about Arcade Gaming in General, I have the video and I'll post it when I get home from school =)

This article was worth reading and I think it does represent all the communities that revolve around the gaming world ^^

Osaka wants some love tooooooo
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
thedarktemplar
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i thought seattle gameworks wuz overpriced...
there its 1.25/3 DDRUSA and 1.50/3 songs DDREX
and they always have the all the games u can play in an hour 4 20 bucks
but 3.75 have 4 a game of ex, geez..
Phoenix Flame
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's insane. When I was visiting relatives in Georgia, it was 50 cents for 3 songs, and at the recent tourney at CMU, it was 1 dollar. $3.75? Geez...

Darkjolt1
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome....weird how us humans improve so much on these things we use...
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: