Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Sort of Sucky DDR crowds in N.C.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
projectrogue
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Sort of Sucky DDR crowds in N.C. Reply with quote

Hey, I know that probably not every DDR crowd is like this, but I've been out here in North Carolina for the past couple of months and recently picked up on the game. Like most of you, I find it really enjoyable, and I'm not really good as what I've seen people do, but I'm getting there.

Me and a couple of friends this weekend went out to Raleigh to check out the DDR locations listed on this site. The locations were accurate, and we hit up two of them. Not to get nasty, but holy poopy, it was invaded by teenie-bopper kids that hogged the machine.

I'm over 21, and walking up to a video game that has 10 kids all around it who look like they haven't had any sun in a while is a little corney when they're stomping so well the freaking floor is vibrating but they lost all sense of self worth for their appearance. THe first location we went to didn't have a lot of kids gathered around it, but when we tried to play, this 13 year old kid who couldn't breathe because he just got off was giving excuses why we couldn't play, due to some japanese anime ID card was in front of my token, and the token was his. I just jumped up there anyway because there wasn't any way in hell I was going to listen to him.
The place was like a teenage chuck-e-cheese area, so we left and went to the mall location.

The mall location was even worse. Pasty white kids all stood around the machine and there wasn't any way in hell I was going to bother trying to play because that really isn't my crowd, and I'm really too old to be hanging with 14, 15 year olds.

I guess you could say I'm being biased, and I should have jumped up there anyway, but I'm not good like that, and really, I wasn't expecting the average computer guy playing it. Not to mention, we drove an hour and a half to get to these locations and the crowd gather round was less than inviting.

When I see pics of people playing DDR, they're usually tricked out japanese kids my age, and the people that play DDR where I'm from in Texas are my age. What I'm trying to find out is....is this really what I'm going to have to deal with whenever I scout out a machine? I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm pretty sure there's going to be kids reading this that are going to get offended and what not, but honestly, I'm just trying to find out if this is some kind of fad like PoGs, Pokemon and Magic cards to blow chunks of mom and dad's quarters on because your bored and don't have a car. Do I need a reservation to jump on a machine next time? Or should I bring my own group of liquored up military thugs to invade an arcade? I really want to play at the arcade, but if its this bad everywhere, I'll blow the 200 on the metal pad.

By the way, are there any Dave and Buster locations for DDR machines anywhere? I move around a lot.
-SquirrelWrangler-
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blink.gif Holy crap that was long, but anyways no matter where you go youre going to have to deal with people and make your place in line. If you read the tips/faq it tells you about the coin line to mark your place etc. Also I'm 14 and i really dont care who the hell i play with so if youre so cautious about playing with younger people just hop on(or wait in line) I'm sure their not gonna flip out and start nibbling your ankles and talking gibberish and summon hexes on you with pokemon cards. Just chill out man, Teenagers think too. disgust.gif

Thanks to EmiOfBrie for this banner!E13.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
projectrogue
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your point, I used to play SF 2 back in the day, and the coin lines were better then because people actually waited to play instead of going to take a piss. The people had dropped 5 or 6 cards on the "line", and they weren't even there, not to mention on the second location, they didn't even have a coin line, because it was all their friends so the machine got taken over.

I'm guessing this was just a "poopy" experience because of the crowd. I don't mind playing against someone who's 14 or even getting advice about the game. I think we were just expecting a crowd that was more like the one at home.
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to DDRfreak

In the future, post anything that is associated with your region in the regional forums located to the bottom half of the main forum index. And for any arcade experiences, there is a thread in the DDR Arcade forum at the top waiting for your thoughts.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: