Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Lik-sang metal pads with backrail mini-review

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny_Broos
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Lik-sang metal pads with backrail mini-review Reply with quote

I've got two pads for a few weeks now and I think they're awesome!
They almost don't move when playing on them (quarter inch an hour is not much E1.gif )
and they don't click too loud.
The pads registers the buttons well, no problems yet...
You'll need a few song to re-adjust when playing on softpads only, but after that it'll be much better! I keep on breaking my highscores!
I don't know how it compares to a real arcade pad. The closest arcade is 2 hours away and that only since a few weeks. Last time I played in the arcade was 1.5 years ago...
It's no cobalt flux, but I don't care! I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and only the shipping costs of 1 pad from America to Europe is about 200 dollars! And Lik-sang sends pads from within Europe (Germany...) which only costs about 25 dollars. So if you're from Europe you'll almost have to buy these pads otherwise it'll be too expensive! Whenever my acryllic would break I'll replace it and when my arrows stop functioning I'll mod the foil to sheetmetal. It's still waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a CF and building a pad on my own is no option either, I've tried it before!
View users profile Send private message
bi-boy
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lik-sang metal pads with backrail mini-review Reply with quote

Danny_Broos wrote:
I've got two pads for a few weeks now and I think they're awesome!
They almost don't move when playing on them (quarter inch an hour is not much :) )
and they don't click too loud.
The pads registers the buttons well, no problems yet...
You'll need a few song to re-adjust when playing on softpads only, but after that it'll be much better! I keep on breaking my highscores!
I don't know how it compares to a real arcade pad. The closest arcade is 2 hours away and that only since a few weeks. Last time I played in the arcade was 1.5 years ago...
It's no cobalt flux, but I don't care! I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and only the shipping costs of 1 pad from America to Europe is about 200 dollars! And Lik-sang sends pads from within Europe (Germany...) which only costs about 25 dollars. So if you're from Europe you'll almost have to buy these pads otherwise it'll be too expensive! Whenever my acryllic would break I'll replace it and when my arrows stop functioning I'll mod the foil to sheetmetal. It's still waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a CF and building a pad on my own is no option either, I've tried it before!

Could you open it up so we can see what the sensors look like?

Also how well do the buttons register around the edges?

Is the back-bar sturdy?
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has opened it and posted pics of it somewhere on this forum I believe... As long it's not broken I don't want to open it...
The bar is pretty good. You can lean on it. But I don't know how much weight it can take, so I think it's better not to sit on it...
It registers the button where ever you press, it doesn't matter. You can press the center of the button or on the egde...
Soren
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny_Broos

Thanks - a lot of people wanted to see a review of this pad.

Since I live in Denmark, Europe - I am also thrilled ( for once ) to see us getting a fair treatment in the import department.

If I wanted to import a Cobalt Flux or Red Octane pad ( which I would love ) - the shipping cost would be as much as the price of the pad itself - but because of companies like Play Asia we Europeans can now get metal pads for as low as 129 $ ( 189 $ for the new one with rail ) including shipping, taxes, and toll.

I bought the cheaper version a while ago ( when it was 159 $ ) - and it is actually the latest version of the Cyphergames pad.

I have been very happy with it - but would like to upgrade to the new pad with back bar.

Now after 2 months I have had the following problems with the CG pad:

* I could see that it would bend with to much abuse so I removed the rubberfeet.

* One cracked arrows ( Still works great - but I will be replacing it soon )

* Lights stopped working in one arrow ( I fixed it by taping the wire back on )

* Left arrow stopped working ( Again I fixed it by taping the wire back on )

* Back arrow stopped working ( ... look above )

As you can see - I agree with the people who say that the cheap metal pads have some problems - but believe me, I am not a genious - and I found all the problems very easy to solve.

Right now I play DDR Extreme with my metal pad inside our home theater - and it is just amazing !!!

You can see my theater here ( without the metal pad in it )

http://biograf.hjem.wanadoo.dk

I will be ordering 2 of the pads with back bar for my arcade cabinet after christmas and will give you my thoughts on the pad.

E1.gif Soren, Denmark
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... These pads still use acrylic. Acrylic = cracked arrows! They probably also use foil contacts. I wouldn't buy it because you'll get cracked arrows, and most likely, it uses the same contact system as the other cheap metal pads, copper sensor and foil. Wait until somebody opens up a panel and takes a picture of the contact system.

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total
Danny_Broos
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that diabloslayer. These pads may be not the best of all, but they're good enough for most of us and they're affordable! Buying a CF pad with shipping costs to Europe makes 1 pad about 500 dollars. I paid allmost half that price for 2 pads including shipping costs. Since I'm not the only DDR player at home and friends come and play here I need 2 pads. And paying 1000 dollars for 2 CF including shipping is not cool! If I had that amount of money I wouldn't go for a CF but for a real original arcade...
[edit]
Soren you've got a very nice home theater!
[/edit]
Mikeweiser
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny_Broos wrote:
These pads may be not the best of all, but they're good enough for most of us and they're affordable!

You mean for anyone in Europe. If I want a cheap metal pad, I would go with BNS, and at least that uses polycarbonated (or whatever that word is) arrows that don't crack, and after shipping to the US, is about $50 cheaper. Although there is no bar, It's a small price to pay for arrows that do not break.
Istari Asuka
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeweiser wrote:
If I want a cheap metal pad, I would go with BNS, and at least that uses polycarbonated (or whatever that word is) arrows that don't crack, and after shipping to the US, is about $50 cheaper. Although there is no bar, It's a small price to pay for arrows that do not break.

Or you could get the one with the bar for not much more, and when the arrows break replace them with polycarbonate, such as lexan. Wouldn't be too hard, wouldn't be too expensive, and you'd get a bar. E13.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Mikeweiser
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100+ for shipping is outrageous, and with a price like that, the last thing I want to do is run out to Lowe's, and waste time/more money/gas for a replacement for arrows.
Soren
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny_Broos wrote:
[edit]Soren you've got a very nice home theater!
[/edit]

Thanks Danny E1.gif

It is the result of a TV show my wife and I entered called "Changing Rooms"

The room is perfect for watching movies... - and of course for dancing E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Shinji2k2
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i also bought a Lik-Sang pad, but i have some minor problems. Either it's just me or the pad ain't registering all my steps. It tends to miss the ones i do closer to the edge. So i went adn opened it up to see why or how i could fix it. Well, it uses the same kind of contacts like the RO pads (a pic of that floats on page 30 of Metal Pad Convo i believe). I might go and add screw-contacts on the edge of all buttons, but i'm not sure yet, maybe i just need to learn to step more in the middle E13.gif

Else I also found something interesting out. While i used DWI (only got PC) with my softmad i changed to Stepmania now with the metal pad. Stepmania registers about double as many steps in the right moment then DWI. So either the connection between the pad and the computer are different with the metal or what do i know. Just felt like pointing that out.

Everyone else, HF with your Metalpads, i'll have my own fun soon E13.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: