Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Dancing Monkeys: Automatically Generate step files for DDR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrayerWarrior35
Trick Member
Trick Member

60. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would like a users guide, this would be cool in making .dwi's to songs that my wife likes that I don't want to bother with, or the BPM and GAP alone.
Could you give a complete example in your report as well, I tried this for ~30 mins with nothing working to my advantage. And I read through all 3 pages where everybody had different problems.
I hate DOS by the way and all computer programming, but I would love for this program to work.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Crouching before a river of poison, staring at the blood on my hands, vowing to have revenge...
61. PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really isn't that hard to run... disturb.gif

*wishes Karl would hurry up and get back tongue.gif*
Trick Member
Trick Member

62. PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say... this program is unbelievable. Mad kudos to you, my friend. I hope that if this was graded or whatever you'd get a PERFECT score! E1.gif

One thing I must point out... I set it up to autogen steps for Jurassic 5's "Jurass Finish First" on 6, 8, 9. Oh. My. God. These steps are AWESOME. I am NOT kidding... these steps are SERIOUSLY good enough to be in a Tournamix. I am NOT joking. Near the end it has the weirdest stopping gap, but it fits PERFECTLY. You guys have to try it yourselves. It clocks in at a BPM of like 207!

One thing I might suggest... maybe you should bring EVERY level down one. Like 6's become 5's, 9's become 8's, and so on. It always seems that the rating is one too many. Also, do you think you could maybe support 10's in future versions of this? This is all nitpicking, though. That program RULES!!!
DJBouche
Basic Member
Basic Member

63. PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured out the fid error, it'll be either one of these:

WARNING: Unable to Output truncated version of song. Please copy original to out
put directory.

If you get this error, do what it says, and put the original song into the destination directory, you won't get this error ever again if you do that.

It could also be when specifying the output directory, add a trailing backslash, example:

DancingMonkeys101.exe C:\airship.mp3 3 5 8 c:\dmstepfiles\

as oppsosed to

DancingMonkeys101.exe C:\airship.mp3 3 5 8 c:\dmstepfiles

Like i said i'm not sure which one of them fixes the actual problem but I did both of these things and I didn't get the fid error anymore.

Hope that helps! E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Crouching before a river of poison, staring at the blood on my hands, vowing to have revenge...
64. PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJBouche wrote:
WARNING: Unable to Output truncated version of song. Please copy original to out
put directory.

If you get this error, do what it says, and put the original song into the destination directory, you won't get this error ever again if you do that.

Well, I know that's not right, because I did exactly that and I got the exact same results when I tried again.

I'll try the trailing backslash, but I kinda don't think that's the problem, since I've gotten this to work on a desktop at school but not on my laptop at home--and yes, doing everything exactly the same, same song et al, before anyone asks; the only difference is the computer I'm on.
Basic Member
Basic Member

65. PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you put the song in the output directory, did you put it in the output directory itself? Or the directory made in the output directory for your steps/truncated wav? If you did the latter, put it in the root of the output directory since that is why I did.

Perhaps there is a difference in that the WARNING error doesn't appear on your desktop at school while it does on your laptop. (which may mean the way files can/are written) but I don't know.

Good luck and hope you get it to work somehow. E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tw3nz0r
Trick Member
Trick Member

66. PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
C:\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32>DancingMonkeys.exe D:\excuse.mp3 2 5 8 D:\

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Initialised.
input:  D:\excuse.mp3  (44.1 kHz, 2 channels, MPEG-1 Layer III)
output: ..\..\Temp Music\Temp Song.wav  (16 bit, Microsoft WAVE)
skipping initial 1105 samples (encoder+decoder delay)
Frame#  3531/3534   192 kbps   MS
Decoded Mp3 / Copied Wav
Loaded song.
ERROR: A memory allocation request failed.

EXITING

C:\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32>

Between the Loading, and the Error, my 800mhz loses all of it's resources, and I totally start lagging. Wat's the deal -.-
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
tw3nz0r
Trick Member
Trick Member

67. PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
C:\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32>DancingMonkeys.exe D:\excuse.mp3 2 5 8 D:\

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Initialised.
input:  D:\excuse.mp3  (44.1 kHz, 2 channels, MPEG-1 Layer III)
output: ..\..\Temp Music\Temp Song.wav  (16 bit, Microsoft WAVE)
skipping initial 1105 samples (encoder+decoder delay)
Frame#  3531/3534   192 kbps   MS
Decoded Mp3 / Copied Wav
Loaded song.
ERROR: A memory allocation request failed.

EXITING

C:\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32>

Between the Loading, and the Error, my 800mhz loses all of it's resources, and I totally start lagging. Wat's the deal -.-
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
YmkFX
Trick Member
Trick Member

68. PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I know, I'm a complete idiot, but I still can't figure out how to get this to run. I run "cmd", and the "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe" window pops up, yes yes.

Then.... Well, all the information given on what to do then is in such little bits and so strewn about this thread, is it that hard to just give us one big Tutorial on what to do? Or do we need to keep fishing through this thread looking at conflicting instructions and different commands?

I just want to get the DWI so I can convert it to an Xstep and edit it into something respectable.

Last edited by YmkFX on Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total
Dark Dexter
Basic Member
Basic Member

69. PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So beautiful... E1.gif This is truly a peace of art. I put in "Catch Me Someday" by Two-Mix (a Jpop group) and i made beautiful steps for it. Not the most orginal, however never off beat. Amazing.
TWEEN: I have a very small processor in both my Laptop(400Mhz) and my Desktop(750Mhz) and I got it to run. However, I got the same error on my laptop cause it's processor sucks. But, I found a solution!!!! The real proble beyond a crappy processor is no enough room for the EXE to correctly execute! To fix this right click on My Computer and go to properties. Under the Advanced Tab click on the performance settings button. Go under advanced again and click on the Change Button under Vitual Memory. Put the size of the drive Dancing Monkies is running on to about 1000MB Max and Min. That should solve that problem. That was fot Windows XP. For 2000 do the same thing up going to My Computer properties. Under advanced click on the Performance options Button.Change the option to Applications and click on change. Yet again set to about 1000MB for min and max. This is changing the memory space for you processor to run on besides your system's RAM. If you have alot of avalible space put it up even higher to get even better performance out of you PC in general. However!!!! DON'T GO TO HIGH. Because, it will take up space to save your normal files on. You should not really need more than 1500MB ever. If you have a really slow processor (even slower than tweens by a lot) this will not help you and you really need to buy a new computer. Hope that helps Tween! nerd.gif

TO EVERYONE WITH FIN ERROR: I have noticed that the program Dancing Monkeys is not very smart about disk writes. disgust.gif So when in command prompt just drop the output location and it will go the the default. be sure to put the orginal MP3 under the same "Dancing Monkeys\Otuput" folder. biggrin.gif This stopped the FIN error for me. nerd.gif

TO KarlOKeeffe:Great program! I have one question though. What is MATLAB? Is it a C++ editor or Visual Basic? E19.gif I am a programmer myself and have never heard of MATLAB. That aside, this is one of the coolest free programs I have ever seen. You deserve a A+ for this. nerd.gif
YmkFX
Trick Member
Trick Member

70. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm figuring this out as I go along but I have an issue with Start:\run "cmd"

When the box shows up this is what I see.
Basically, I need it to not say "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael ----->" and "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael -----\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32>" like everyone elses, but I have no idea how to change this except maybe altering "Documents and Settings"? Because I can't run DancingMonkeys.exe at that point after the >. I really wish I knew more about this, everything else I understand now.
Basic Member
Basic Member

71. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO AMFM:It sounds like you don't know a lot about Command Prompt. Heres a quick tutorial. Use "cd ..\..\..\..\..\" to get to the bottom of your drive. Then use "cd whereyouputtheexe\dancing monkeys\bin\win32\". Finally type "dancingmonkeys.exe "C:\mucis.mp3" 3 5 10" to get it to run. Be sure to use what was said in the last tip i worte to avoid the fid error. Good luck! nerd.gif
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

72. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got it to run on my laptop; putting \ at the end of the output directory apparently fixed it, but I could swear I tried that before. At any rate, I've got it running in KornShell right now, with a script continuously processing a list of MP3's and running them through Dancing Monkeys, so whenever that gets done I'll have a good set of dwi's to go through and take BPM's and GAP's from.

One thing that's already shown up is some interesting freezes the program inserts into the dwi. Be Rock U ended up having two points where the arrows simply froze, a la So Fab So Fierce. Not the most obvious places to put them, mind you, but on the plus side the arrows picked right back up with the beat; i.e. the freeze was perfect, rather than getting off, say, like Stoic on Extreme. That information in the dwi file might come in handy if I want to add some freezes like that myself.

AmFm wrote:
I know I know, I'm a complete idiot, but I still can't figure out how to get this to run. I run "cmd", and the "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe" window pops up, yes yes.

Then.... Well, all the information given on what to do then is in such little bits and so strewn about this thread, is it that hard to just give us one big Tutorial on what to do? Or do we need to keep fishing through this thread looking at conflicting instructions and different commands?

I just want to get the DWI so I can convert it to an Xstep and edit it into something respectable.

Now that I've got it working, I'll see if I can't give you some clear enough instructions.

Assuming the following:
Location of Dancing Monkeys: "C:\Program Files\Dancing Monkeys"
Location of MP3: "C:\My Music\Be Rock U.mp3"

Then you would run it like this:
--start a command prompt, then type
cd "C:\My Music"
md "Be Rock U"
cd "C:\Program Files\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32"
DancingMonkeys.exe "C:\My Music\Be Rock U.mp3" 3 5 7 "C:\My Music\Be Rock U\"

That should be all you need to do. The double quotes are only necessary where there's a space in the pathname or filename.

Dark Dexter wrote:
TO EVERYONE WITH FIN ERROR: I have noticed that the program Dancing Monkeys is not very smart about disk writes. disgust.gif So when in command prompt just drop the output location and it will go the the default. be sure to put the orginal MP3 under the same "Dancing Monkeys\Otuput" folder. biggrin.gif This stopped the FIN error for me. nerd.gif

I didn't think about trying that, but you're probably right.

Dark Dexter wrote:
TO KarlOKeeffe:Great program! I have one question though. What is MATLAB? Is it a C++ editor or Visual Basic? E19.gif I am a programmer myself and have never heard of MATLAB. That aside, this is one of the coolest free programs I have ever seen. You deserve a A+ for this. nerd.gif

MATLAB is its own language; I'm in my last year of college, and I've only now had to turn in homework that used a MATLAB program, so I don't think it's used by the general public all that much.

AmFm: I wouldn't put Dancing Monkeys in your Documents and Settings folder; just put it at C:\Dancing Monkeys, or something similarly simple.
Trick Member
Trick Member

73. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MATLAB is an integrated technical computing environment that combines numeric computation, advanced graphics and visualization, and a high-level programming language"

- Taken from The official MATLAB website

Here at Purdue the engineers have to do a bunch of stuff in MATLAB. Its pretty much just its own specialized programming language and environment.
View users profile Send private message
bboyflames
Trick Member
Trick Member

74. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\family\My Documents\My Pictures\error.jpg[/img]

whats this error mean?
bboyflames
Trick Member
Trick Member

75. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ups ignore that post

whats the error mean and what do i need to do to correct it?
bboyflames
Trick Member
Trick Member

76. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill just link it http://mi.aacdn.us/bboyflames/error.JPG
bboyflames
Trick Member
Trick Member

77. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad im new to this any help is appreciated
bboyflames
Trick Member
Trick Member

78. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frick it jus copy the url and pastye it to ur internet explorer. itll work i hope. sorry for all the post any help is appreciated.
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

79. PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: the Edit button is your friend. laugh.gif

Well, I ran Dancing Monkeys through a bunch of Dance/Trance songs as well as some of Initial D's music tonight. I must say, it cranked out some interesting steps and freezes...

I think I ran about 35 songs. Of all those, it couldn't confidently find the BPM for one of them, and I think for two or three the gap was slightly wrong. Other than that, the BPM and GAP were correctly calculated for the songs.

I've got some more songs to run through, including more Dance/Trance tracks, some others I was wanting to do, and I'm going to run Evanescence through just to see what it does with them. I'll try to post some of these up later for you guys to download and see what you think.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: