Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Dancing Monkeys: Automatically Generate step files for DDR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlOKeeffe
Basic Member
Basic Member

40. PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pkmnrulz241:
It looks like you also had a quote at the beginning of your command. You had:

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Martini>"DancingMonkeys.exe "D:\My Documents\Alice Deejay - Better off alone.mp3" 3 6 9 D:\Program Files\Stepmania CVS\Songs\Monkey Generated\"

You want to have:

Code:

D:\Program Files\Stepmania CVS\Dancing Monkeys\Dancing Monkeys\bin\win32>DancingMonkeys.exe "D:\My Documents\Alice Deejay - Better off alone.mp3" 3 6 9 D:\Program Files\Stepmania CVS\Songs\Monkey Generated\"

i.e. change directories as spoonsman stated, and remove the leading quote.

choc2771bw, Agent Smith 1998, mariomario:
The Invalid fid error means that Dancing Monkeys is unable to create any files. I'm not sure why this is, but I have a suspicion it is to do with it not correctly creating directories when required. Try making the output go to a directory you know exists and see if that helps, although I doubt it will. Unfortunately I am going on holiday next week so I won't have a chance to fix it for a while.

Arch0wl of GG:
Yup the step files do go along with the music.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
FTV
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran this thing for the first time with They Might Be Giant's song "We're the Replacements" and it worked like a dream! It came up with really good steps and almost all of them are perfectly on beat! The creator of this is a freaking genious! You sir need to get a job for Konami!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Crouching before a river of poison, staring at the blood on my hands, vowing to have revenge...
42. PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonsman wrote:
When you entered in the arguments for the program you were still in "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Martini". You need to make sure that you are in the same directory the program is in.

Not just that, but he also had
Code:
D:\Program Files\Stepmania CVS\Songs\Monkey Generated\"
with only the ending quotes and no beginning quotes. That's a problem b/c of Program Files and Stepmania CVS and Monkey Generated all having whitespace in their names.

Should be:
Code:
"D:\Program Files\Stepmania CVS\Songs\Monkey Generated\"

Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anybody getting the invalid fid error or know what to do?

i dont wanna wait until this guy gets back, it also sounds like hes not sure how to fix it? anybody?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
damsquirl
Basic Member
Basic Member

44. PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys... here's what i'm getting when i run this thing.

i've tried several mp3's and several directories, and both .exe files, 101 and the one in the original pack.

C:\DM\bin\win32>DancingMonkeys101.exe "c:\iwouldwalk.mp3" 2 3 8 "c:\"
Initialised.
Can't init outfile '..\..\Temp Music\Temp Song.wav'
ERROR: Error decoding music.

EXITING

this is the result every single time, any suggestions?

thanks
View users profile Send private message
KarlOKeeffe
Basic Member
Basic Member

45. PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTV:
Thanks! I'm glad it actually worked for someone E10.gif

damsquirl:
I believe the
Code:
Can't init outfile '..\..\Temp Music\Temp Song.wav'
message you are getting is from the LAME Mp3 decoder. It must be having problems outputting the wav version of the song.

Try and make sure that C:\DM\Temp Music\ directory exists and that LAME has write access to it. That might solve that problem.

Alternatively, decode the wav file yourself (you can use Winamp to do this) and use "c:\iwouldwalk.wav" (for example) as the input. This way Dancing Monkeys will skip the Mp3 -> Wav conversion.

Everybody else:
I believe all the errors people are having have to do with Dancing Monkeys not being able to output any files. For some reason it seems unable to write to the file system, the only problem is working out what the reason is and fixing it.

Because I'm going on holiday on Wednesday I'm a bit busy at the moment and won't be able to fix it. So if there is anyone else hanging around these boards with a bit of MatLab knowledge who wants to give it a go, let me know and I'll give all the assistance I can.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
spoonsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to uploading some steps that this program made.

You can find them here.

For all of these I gave it a full-length song (around 3ish minutes for most of them), and for all of them except QQQ I specified foot ratings of 5, 8, 9. Most of the files ended up not being those difficulties for reasons KarlOKeeffe explained earlier. I feel that this selection of songs shows both the program's strong and weak points.

For strong I recommend downloading Yoshi Story (techno). It is amazing how good those steps are (remember that these are mainly for your feet).

For weak points download Butterfly (Japanese). Good luck trying to AA it your first try.

As a side note the program outputs in wav but I converted all of them to mp3 to be more internet friendly.
Arch0wl - GG
Trick Member
Trick Member

47. PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I played those Yoshi steps and they were crap and hardly went to the music at all. So yeah, I thought this program was going to replace the good simfile makers like Cynic, SKoR, Mwerp, BMR, Kamek, and others.
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Crouching before a river of poison, staring at the blood on my hands, vowing to have revenge...
48. PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonsman wrote:
As a side note the program outputs in wav but I converted all of them to mp3 to be more internet friendly.

I wouldn't even bother with the .wav file DM creates; just use the original mp3 that you had.

Arch0wl of GG wrote:
OK, I played those Yoshi steps and they were crap and hardly went to the music at all. So yeah, I thought this program was going to replace the good simfile makers like Cynic, SKoR, Mwerp, BMR, Kamek, and others.

If you'd been paying attention to earlier posts, you wouldn't have made such an assumption. Karl never claimed it made great steps, and I believe even he stated that the steps would never be on par with the creativity of steps done by a person.
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox McCloud- all the songs that I gave the program were originally in the three minute range. The program truncates them down to DDR song length (around 1:45ish) so the original mp3s won't work with the stepfiles. When I get home I'll upload the original songs so you can see how it truncated them.

Arch0wl of GG- as Fox said, Karl already stated that it wasn't meant to replace DWI makers like those guys. Another point is that this program puts out files that are made for your FEET, not your fingers. If you want insane steps that go perfectly to the music go play some beatmania. I stand by my original opinion that it made very good steps for Yoshi's Story.

*edit*
Doh, I just realized that when I converted the wav to mp3 it screwed up the gaps on the files. I'll try and get the original wavs up later
Cyan Garamonde (Nosaj)
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonsman wrote:
Fox McCloud- all the songs that I gave the program were originally in the three minute range. The program truncates them down to DDR song length (around 1:45ish) so the original mp3s won't work with the stepfiles. When I get home I'll upload the original songs so you can see how it truncated them.

Doh, I just realized that when I converted the wav to mp3 it screwed up the gaps on the files. I'll try and get the original wavs up later

I didn't realize the program truncated songs that were of a longer-than-DDRish length. The one song I've tried is the Black Sheep mp3 from Bemanistyle; I put the original mp3 with the dwi file instead of the wav file, and it fit just fine. Maybe Karl could modify the program to keep writing steps if the song is longer than the average song; or you could always just add in more steps yourself. That's what I'd end up doing anyway, since I wouldn't use the steps it generates.

I'd still like to see just the BPM and gap calculation as their own separate little program, since they worked very well. It took far less time than my normal method of opening up a song in Cool Wave, figuring up a BPM, playing with the gap, then playing with the BPM till it felt right. DM got it right the first try, although for some songs (like Black Sheep) I'd double the BPM that DM calculated, since it sounds like it's faster than 100BPM.

Maybe I can take just those parts from the Matlab code and redo them in a shell script.... *ponders*
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch0wl of GG wrote:

what site can I find those at?
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another point is that this program puts out files that are made for your FEET, not your fingers. If you want insane steps that go perfectly to the music go play some beatmania. I stand by my original opinion that it made very good steps for Yoshi's Story.

I stand by my opinion that they're not.

Those DWI makers I listed DO make good steps for feet.

Even on feet, stuff should go to the music. Period. If you're going to be simulating Riverdance, then at least have it go perfectly to the music.
Aesir
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He guys, let's see if we can figure out what the problems here are. You guys that are getting it to run, are you using the Matlab version? What OS? What kind of partition (I imagine NTFS, but you never know), or anything else that may be helpful? I'm running XP on NTFS using the standalone version, and I get that "Invalid Fid" error. It happens after its generated the steps and everything, and right when its going to write them to the disk. Anybody know whats up?
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
shieldwolf
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i'll admit I'm an idiot.

I run c:\dancing monkeys\bin\win32\DancingMonkeys.exe

window pops up for a second then closes

The song I want to do is C:\music\twist.mp3

do I type c:\dancing monkeys\bin\win32\DancingMonkeys.exeC:\music\twist.mp3

and then hit enter?

I AM LOST
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
spoonsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

55. PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is answered earlier in this thread. If you're too lazy to go looking for it, I'm too lazy to go looking for it for you.

The short answer is that you need to be running it from a command line (Start -> Run -> "cmd")
shieldwolf
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
No,
I'm not lazy. I actually saw that post. However
placing

cmd\c:\dancing monkeys\bin\win32\DancingMonkeys.exe

nor
cmdc:\dancing monkeys\bin\win32\DancingMonkeys.exe

worked. Which is why I asked someone to explain it too me.

I get to the dos prompt. It just doesn't find the files.

Now if you want to try and explain it to me and not criticize my post I would appreciate it.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Ukato
Basic Member
Basic Member

57. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to break it to you, BUT you aren't the first person to come up with this program. At engineering open house at the University of Illinois, a couple of students made a program very similar to this, but they made the ddr program as well. BUT, their program was kinda clunky, and I give you credit, because your program has totally different source code than theirs.
Ukato
Basic Member
Basic Member

58. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found more on the U of I project.

"How can an engineer learn to dance? The answer could be found at the Digital Dancer exhibit courtesy of SIGArch. Using advanced digital signal processing technology, the Digital Dancer takes arbitrary music and creates dance steps for it in real time. Players dance on a stage following the steps and are scored on how well they match the steps and music. The exhibit won the unofficial audience award and was often cited as a favorite."

taken from http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/news/archives/steoh.html
spoonsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukato wrote:
i found more on the U of I project.

"How can an engineer learn to dance? The answer could be found at the Digital Dancer exhibit courtesy of SIGArch. Using advanced digital signal processing technology, the Digital Dancer takes arbitrary music and creates dance steps for it in real time. Players dance on a stage following the steps and are scored on how well they match the steps and music. The exhibit won the unofficial audience award and was often cited as a favorite."

taken from http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/news/archives/steoh.html

Download the documentation of the project from his site. He discusses U of I's implementation in it.

Shieldwolf- you need to access the comand prompt then at the prompt type in "cd c:\dancing monkeys\bin\win32\" then "DancingMonkeys101.exe C:\music\twist.mp3 5 7 9 c:\" or with whatever parameters you wish without the quotation marks.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: