Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What is going on at DDR Freak? Questions from a regular
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Lab
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

20. PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
BitTorrent is really only helpful if there's a lot of consecutive demand for a file. Bandwidth spikes, if you will. Movies hosted here would probably get a medium amount of constant traffic, and thus would impose a constant drain on resources. If the drain is moderate, but not overwhelming, then BitTorrent won't help much to lower DDRFreak's bandwidth usage.

Still, with Bit Torrent, the video hosting can have a huge amount of drain taken off it. If videos were bundeled in packs, maybe, then the pack could be seeded as a Bit Torrent file for a certain length of time, and then they can let users seed it as needed. I think there would be plenty of people that owuld be willing to help out with Bit Torrent involved, myself included.
Basic Member
Basic Member

21. PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see, the mods are too buys locking threads from people who are too "lazy" to wade through the 30+ page stickies to find an answer to thier questions. Oh, and don't forget the newcomers who are too "lazy" to see that post on the 7th page with no search function.

So yeah, too busy locking threads to improve the site. That's my take.
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

22. PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TehSuq wrote:
From what I can see, the mods are too buys locking threads from people who are too "lazy" to wade through the 30+ page stickies to find an answer to thier questions. Oh, and don't forget the newcomers who are too "lazy" to see that post on the 7th page with no search function.

So yeah, too busy locking threads to improve the site. That's my take.
Mod != Admin

Mods lock threads and police the boards. There are ~20 mods.

Admins run the site, as well as workin' 'round the boards. There are only a few of them. One is transitioning between semesters, one is too busy working full-time to do a lot with the site, and the others are stretched thin.

I'd say you just created this account to troll, but I find it hard to believe that you've been trolling for three weeks now and haven't gotten squashed yet.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
TehSuq
Basic Member
Basic Member

23. PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
I'd say you just created this account to troll, but I find it hard to believe that you've been trolling for three weeks now and haven't gotten squashed yet.

I guess the mods are too busy planning an invasion of Poland to care.

Teh Suq
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

24. PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TehSuq wrote:
Cutriss wrote:

I guess the mods are too busy planning an invasion of Poland to care.

Teh Suq

Oh no no, we are watching. At least I know I am.
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL wrote:
look at bemanix, bemanistyle, ddrmaniax, ddrseattle, and more, those layouts are so cool to look at. those people put effort into their pages. most of them are jerks, however.

the mods at ddrfreak are generally nice people but dont seem to have the time or skill to create a beautiful layout.

As irrelevant as that is, I think the site layout is NOT a priority to fix. Skip pointed out a list of bigger deals. I find no problem with the layout. It's friendly, neat, and simple. Not bulky, but professional. Simplicity is good, like JA said. There are issues like step chars and videos that are bigger than an improvement (facelift).

Let's just hope the admins to their work.
P-Chan
Staff Member
Staff Member

26. PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zoom wrote:
Let's just hope the admins to their work.

it´s being done, just don´t expect everything to be fixed in just 24 hours E13.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question. Is it work that can only be done by Admins or work that can be done by people that are willing to help?
Administrator
Administrator

28. PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil_Zukin [PSO] wrote:
Here's a question. Is it work that can only be done by Admins or work that can be done by people that are willing to help?

It can be done by people who are trusted and qualified. Much of the site is a bit too complicated for the average person to understand, and we need to protect ourselves by not letting just anyone into the source.
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Dogg wrote:
Devil_Zukin [PSO] wrote:

It can be done by people who are trusted and qualified. Much of the site is a bit too complicated for the average person to understand, and we need to protect ourselves by not letting just anyone into the source.

This is true. It was more of a question just because I was curious. E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Sk1p wrote:
DDR Freak is slipping

When you get banned without warning. I agree flash.gif

*cough* *cough*
View users profile Send private message Send email
mrּselfּĐestruct
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

31. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the point of that post/bump was....?
Administrator
Administrator

32. PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm Reply with quote

MaLiCe MiZeR wrote:
Sk1p wrote:
DDR Freak is slipping

When you get banned without warning. I agree :flash:

*cough* *cough*

There is very few things you can do to get banned "without warning", as you put it.

But one, knowingly, must do something totally against the FAQ to be banned quickly.

I am not sure what your cough cough is related to.
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2:

Make the site as user-oriented as possible. Let the visitors to the site submit stepcharts, come up with new site designs, submit news, perhaps even partially aid in the moderating of the forums (it's tricky to do usably, but it's been done well at least once before), and then the admins merely look over their work -- to keep the trolls out, etc. Slashdot is arguably the poster child of the success of this method; over a million users and that site still serves its purpose well.

As for the video bandwidth issue, BitTorrent would help greatly if there's dedicated nodes. I'd volunteer my personal server as a dedicated node for about half your collection. (Not a lot of hard drive space, because money's tight.) And there's surely other volunteers out there. Enough to make a major difference.
View users profile Send private message
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

34. PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video bandwidth problem has already been resolved, but thanks for the offer.

As for the slashdot thing.. the difference between ddrfreak and slashdot is that in general, active slashdot users are educated, mature, and don't know each other in real life. DDR Freak users are generally young kids who say whatever they want, and usually see each other often at the arcades. Just because one method works on one site doesn't mean it will work on another.

That said, I do try to keep this as user-oriented as possible, which is why users can submit their own machine locations. I do think there is much room for improvement, and we have plans for such improvements in the future.
Staff Member
Staff Member

35. PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Dogg wrote:
As for the slashdot thing.. the difference between ddrfreak and slashdot is that in general, active slashdot users are educated, mature, and don't know each other in real life.
Hahahahahahahahaa!!!! That's about the funniest thing I read all day... biggrin.gif

Just so that this isn't a junk post...I agree wholeheartedly. A user moderation system would not only be cumbersome and unwieldy to install for this site (heck...I think you'd have to just migrate to Slashcode, and endure bitching from all the users about their lost postcounts), and it would just be broken.

Slashdot, as it is, is losing a bit of its quality because Moderation is a perk, but Meta-Moderation is a chore, and so the only way bad moderators get policed is by other moderators adding their own mod points. Thus, you get weird 5, Troll and -1, Informative posts. Plus, you can't moderate anonymously (IE - there's no way to prevent a moderator from attacking a person or propping up a second account of his), and in the case of Slashdot, the editors have somewhat "betrayed" the trust of the user moderation system by enforcing "will of root" on some posts and posters, either revoking moderator access for them, or nuking posts/posters that talk about Slashdot negatively.

And that's how it works with a userbase that is decidely more "mature" on the average than your regular DDRFreak user. On DDRFreak, it'd be anarchy.

And...roothorick, no offense, but seeing you say "Make the site as user-oriented as possible." just smacks of the PHB from Dilbert. E1.gif "Ask yourself, as you go through the day...'Am I truly focused on the customer?' "

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
CStarFlare
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

36. PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roothorick wrote:
perhaps even partially aid in the moderating of the forums

You can kinda already do that.

Just PM a mod who can take care of the problem if you find one. I find it to be a big help when people point stuff out for me.
View users profile Send private message Send email
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: