Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Memory Card FAQ v1.4 - Link Data Converter v1.0 Released!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo-kun AKA s1
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question, can i save edits that are on the machine on to my memorie card?
View users profile Send private message Send email
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

21. PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo-kun AKA s1 wrote:
i have a question, can i save edits that are on the machine on to my memorie card?
Nope. Not easily, anyway. You could take out the Flash ROM card, mount it in a laptop or PCMCIA reader, and extract the edits that way...but I'm not sure how they're stored, or if the Flash ROM card even uses a FAT filesystem (just a guess).

So, for all practical purposes, nope...it won't work.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
pwnography
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question for ya
i used to save my scores on a ddrmax machine. but now it's been upgraded to extreme. do i have to create new arcade data?

i'm guessing my memory card still works cuz my edits are still there
Staff Member
Staff Member

23. PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fujiyama wrote:
question for ya
i used to save my scores on a ddrmax machine. but now it's been upgraded to extreme. do i have to create new arcade data?

i'm guessing my memory card still works cuz my edits are still there
I don't believe so, and yes. If memory serves, the Extreme will make changes to your Arcade Link Data that make it unuseable in MAX/MAX2, and also wipe out your old scores.

Before you do anything, though, would you please send me your Arcade Link Data via e-mail? I'm looking into a conversion project for Link Data.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
WNN Mgr
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

24. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ WNN we hav a guitar freaks 2nd mix with mem slots, is it possible to upgrade those slots to ddr extreme. i need info on this son, thank you.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

25. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNN Mgr wrote:
@ WNN we hav a guitar freaks 2nd mix with mem slots, is it possible to upgrade those slots to ddr extreme. i need info on this son, thank you.
It's likely that it's possible to *move* the slots from a GF 2nd Mix to DDR Extreme (That's what you meant, right? biggrin.gif). They both use PS1-type memory cards, and the hardware itself is likely identical (based on USB hardware). However, you may have to butcher your cabinets to do the move. Do you have a replacement panel for the GF 2nd Mix to cover where the memory card slots were? Do you have the replacement MC Reader front-panel for your DDR cabinet? If you have the replacement pieces, then it's no problem, but if not, you might have to do some cutting and/or patchwork to facilitate the move.

At any rate, it should work, but I don't have official knowledge in that capacity, so if it wrecks the machine, it's not my fault! E13.gif

Breaker Kyo Kusanagi
Basic Member
Basic Member

26. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer to my problem on the FAQ.

I have a DDR Extreme machine and I tried using an official PS 1 memory card with a 5th mix save on it. My machine has a problem detecting the memory cards. The game's attract mode does feature the memory card advertisement but doesn't show the notice message, indicating that it is time to place your memory card. I went to the memory card options and it said that memory card 1 & 2 are disabled. I can't move the cursor down to try to enable it. The only option available is connect to memory card network or something like that. When it's selected all it says is connecting for a really long time. There's a bar that goes like this > > > > > > and error is always at 0 (probably because the thing isn't even connecting). I unscrewed the screws connecting the memory card slots just to take a look inside and everything LOOKS connected. I don't want to go through the trouble of hiring a technician or returning the machine so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help
View users profile Send private message
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

27. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaker Kyo Kusanagi wrote:
Great FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer to my problem on the FAQ.

I have a DDR Extreme machine and I tried using an official PS 1 memory card with a 5th mix save on it.
Just to interrupt here - You don't need a 5th Mix System File. You need the Link Data CS<->AMNew file, which you can make with 5th Mix. This isn't the same as the Link Data CS<->5th file, which 5th Mix can also make. It should say "AMNew" in the filename.
Breaker Kyo Kusanagi wrote:
My machine has a problem detecting the memory cards. The game's attract mode does feature the memory card advertisement but doesn't show the notice message, indicating that it is time to place your memory card. I went to the memory card options and it said that memory card 1 & 2 are disabled. I can't move the cursor down to try to enable it. The only option available is connect to memory card network or something like that. When it's selected all it says is connecting for a really long time. There's a bar that goes like this > > > > > > and error is always at 0 (probably because the thing isn't even connecting). I unscrewed the screws connecting the memory card slots just to take a look inside and everything LOOKS connected. I don't want to go through the trouble of hiring a technician or returning the machine so any help would be appreciated.
This sounds kind of like a problem we had with a machine a short while back, where the memory card reader was installed, but wasn't getting the power. As I remember hearing it, the +5V line to the Memory Card reader is run through the display power, and the display was having a problem, such that one of the guns wasn't firing at the tube. There was a loose power connection to the display itself, and whenever that electron gun went out, the memory card reader also died. It's possible it could've been a short, but I'm no electrician, and I don't have a machine myself to service or diagnose.

Apparently, the system doesn't need the +5V line to power the MC reader firmware, but just the interfacing kit, so the cabinet *can* recognize the presence of the reader, even if the power to it isn't connected. You should probably check the power lead for the memory card reader kit to see if it's getting any juice.

Isaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Card FAQ v1.2 Reply with quote

Last edited by Isaru on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Tomo-kun AKA s1
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Card FAQ v1.2 Reply with quote

Isaru wrote:
Cutriss wrote:

5th Mix Data requires two blocks of memory card space.

New Version Data requires two separate blocks of memory card space.

If you only plan to play on DDRMAX or higher, and not a 5th Mix machine, you do not need to create a separate 5th Mix Link Data file.

I have a question, it sounds like you are saying that you can have data for new link data and 5th mix, etc. Therefore it is possible to have a memory card that has data for 4th mix and 7th mix, but not 4th, 7th, and 8th because 7th and 8th both use the new link data right? I use these mixes in the example because they are the only mixes I have access to. Also on oni mode it only records your name to be used in name entry, and not to record your high score/percent correct?
No. it means that a machine link data that you have on your card requires 2 blocks of memorie. not that you can have data for a 6 and a max2 on one card. but you can have fourth and 6-8 on a card
View users profile Send private message Send email
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

30. PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Card FAQ v1.2 Reply with quote

Tomo-kun AKA s1 wrote:
Isaru wrote:
I have a question, it sounds like you are saying that you can have data for new link data and 5th mix, etc. Therefore it is possible to have a memory card that has data for 4th mix and 7th mix, but not 4th, 7th, and 8th because 7th and 8th both use the new link data right? I use these mixes in the example because they are the only mixes I have access to. Also on oni mode it only records your name to be used in name entry, and not to record your high score/percent correct?
No. it means that a machine link data that you have on your card requires 2 blocks of memorie. not that you can have data for a 6 and a max2 on one card. but you can have fourth and 6-8 on a card
Isamu, you're correct. I don't know why Tomo-kun is saying "No", since he basically just restated exactly what you said.

If you have a 4th, 7th, and 8th in your area, then you'll need two separate memory cards for the 7th and 8th. Where you put the fourth is up to you.

I said "separate" because of the fact that sometimes people get confused and think that, after creating 5th Mix Link Data, and seeing two blocks used on the memory card, that each block is a separate file, and that the game went ahead and made the New Version Link Data.

I suspect that the reason 7th and 8th Mix are incompatible is because, as I recently learned, during the beta of Extreme, Marvelous steps were counted in all the game modes, instead of just Oni and Nonstop. Since 6th and 7th have no concept of this, the data file was made incompatible. Of course, later, they decided to take out Marvelous grading in Game Mode, even though the arrows still flash a different color if you hit the step within the Marvelous timing frame.

Tomo-kun, let me reiterate, just for you. Max and Max2 use the same data file. Extreme does not.

Isaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Isaru on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

32. PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaru wrote:
Ok I just got my dexdrive from eBay, and I'm having problems installing it. devil.gif I follow the instructions that came with it, and when I click the setup.exe it shows me the little hourglass for a while and then nothing happens, the hourglass goes away. I have tried this through run, I have gone into my computer and clicked the floppy drive, and I have even copied the floppy to a file and tried installing it from there. The only thing I'm worried about is that I have windows XP, and the disc dosent say anything about XP. disgust.gif If that is the problem is there a patch or something I can download somewhere? Otherwise if I can't get it to install is it possible to just use it with that psxgameedit program that you have in the beginning of the Faq?
You don't need the program that came on the disks. The DexDrive requires no driver to use...only an access program to talk to it. Compared with PSXGameEdit, the InterAct DexPlorer software is bloated and useless.

PSXGameEdit is lightweight and far more functional.

SoN o ToM
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use the PSXGameEdit to convert an edit step which i downloaded from aaroninjapan.com, and since its a japanese version edit, to convert it to american with that tool in PSXGameEdit?
Staff Member
Staff Member

34. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoN o ToM wrote:
Is it possible to use the PSXGameEdit to convert an edit step which i downloaded from aaroninjapan.com, and since its a japanese version edit, to convert it to american with that tool in PSXGameEdit?
That depends on what exactly it is you want to do. Are you trying to download an edit from AaronInJapan.com to use in arcades, or to use with one of the US home versions?

If you're trying to use it with an arcade machine, then it needs no conversion.

If you're trying to use it with a US home version, then you'll need to follow the instructions in LOKI's Edit Hacking FAQ, referred to in Section 5 of my FAQ. Doing this will require more than just a region-conversion - You'll also have to do timing/product number adjustments.

Isaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Isaru on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

36. PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaru wrote:
Cutriss thank you so much for making this thread! E4.gif I finally got to test my link data today on a 7th mix and it works great! I would like to add though that I have also tried it on a 4th mix and you dont seem to be able to save high scores... all that it appears you can do is use it for edits and maybe that internet ranking thing that has been over for a few years. Anyways I have been looking for a dexdrive for months thanks telling us about eBay! E15.gif
Well, you do realize you need a separate Link Data file for 4th Mix, right?

If you used all three of the data files from AaronInJapan.com, then you should be set. If you just used 5th Mix to create a New Version Link Data file, then that will only work with 6th/7th or Extreme. You need separate Link Data files for 4th Mix.

Note - I said "three data files", because Aaron's MC image actually contains a fourth item which is corrupted. I'm not sure why it's there, but it's supposed to be part of a two-block memory card file, and it's only one block large.

In the near future, I'll probably host a file like that myself...especially if/when I figure out what's up with 2nd/3rd Mix.

Isaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Isaru on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

38. PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaru wrote:
Cutriss I did have the link data for 4th mix on the card. I also put the 5th and 7th there to save space E1.gif. On 4th mix the card said inserted... ready and everything, but it never tried to access it and it never saved my scores. If you CAN save the scores on 4th mix is there something special you have to do, or can you just play normally? I had all the data from aaron in japan however there were only 3 files in the .zip I downloaded.
I did a quick Google search, and it turns out that there's a problem - According to the info I read, *3rd Mix CS* can create a Link Data file for *4th Mix Arcade*, and *4th Mix CS* can create a Link Data file for *4th Mix Plus Arcade*. The file from AIJ.com doesn't have a 4th Mix Link Data file - It has the 4th Plus file.

4th Mix can *update* a 4th Mix Link Data file to 4th Mix Plus, but at that point, it becomes unusable in 4th Mix.

I'm not at home right now, so I'll update the FAQ when I do get home.

Isaru wrote:
I just found out today that the extreme machine thats in near perfect condition and like 5 minutes from my house doesen't have the slots set up right E12.gif .I'm gonna get to test my 8th mix data somewhere else tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes. If you don't have link data will it say inserted... ready or not? I know I have the link data on my 8th mix card, and the screen never shows the memory card screen on the extreme I was at today, I'm just curious.
Yes. As far as I'm aware, this is consistent on all the machines. I've personally only used a Max2 and an Extreme, but regardless of the contents of your memory card, if the MC reader is properly set up and you put in a PS1 memory card, the screen should flash the Inserted/Ready message.

And yeah, if the MC reader is set up and enabled, the Attract Mode should flash that little screen showing Konsento and a black memory card going into the machine...and after inserting credits into the machine, there should be a flashing message in Japanese imposed over the title graphic that basically says "Go ahead and insert your memory card now".
Isaru wrote:
Also is there a way to edit your 7th mix data into 8th mix data, mostly so that the scores I get on 7th mix can be transferred? I don't have any used 8th mix data yet, and it really dosen't matter, so don't go out of your way to find out. Thanks again this is a great faq E4.gif !
It's funny that you'd mention it, actually, because this is a project I was hoping to work on...however, the arcade where my in-laws live seems to have borked the memory card slots in their Max2, the Extreme is too far to drive from here (perhaps in a couple of weeks), and I don't have easy access to any other machines with MC slots.

I've tried to message some people that live near here to get their help with the Link Data project, but *nobody* has come through for me.

Specifically, here's what I need:

New Version Link Data that has *only* been used in DDRMAX.
New Version Link Data that has *only* been used in DDRMAX2.
New Version Link Data that has *only* been used in Extreme.

Also, it'd be immensely helpful if each file were either populated to the maximum with data (IE - won't save any more new scores), or if it had only a few records, with *detailed* score information for each one. For example, the night that I found out my semi-local Max2 was screwed up, I brought my digital camera with me so that every time I finished a song, I could take a picture of the Results page, which I could use to reverse-engineer the scores table in the memory card file.

The scoring system changed between DDRMAX and DDRMAX2, but the data file is the same, so somehow or other, DDRMAX2 knows how to interpret the records. I think I know why Extreme won't use the Max/Max2 files, but I need a file with data in it to study before I can accurately say.

And, depending on how much cooperation, etc. I get, I'd like to even look into doing this for the prior mixes...but since scoring changed *so* much between them, I'm not sure how that'll work. At any rate, without data files from them, I can't do squat.

Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

39. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some tinkering around today with the Max2 and Extreme files, I've conclusively established the following, and will add it to my FAQ:

New Version Link Data files can store data for 176 Songs. Not individual records, but *songs*. There's been some misinformation/lack of clarity regarding this.

If you start with a fresh file, and play a game of Doubles with three songs, and then play a game of Singles with three songs, you'll have six songs in your ID list, with fields #00-02 in the Doubles data filled, and #03-05 in the Singles data filled. If you go back and play the same songs from #00-02 in Singles, the additional data will be added to the Singles file in the corresponding slots.

Song records for *most* songs will save all six scores (Light/Standard/Heavy, Single/Double). If a song is an Oni-exclusive (IE - Challenge steps only), it will save scores as well (On Extreme only, obviously) in the Heavy slot. If a song is *not* an Oni-exclusive and has both Heavy and Challenge steps (e.g. - Butterfly), then the saving of Challenge step scores is *not* allowed.

This means that if you spend your first few games playing Oni exclusives with your memory card, you'll end up wasting some of the space on your card, since you can only save two records for each file, whereas the other songs will save up to six. I doubt anyone is really shedding tears over that, of course...

Beginner scores are not saved. I doubt this disappoints anyone. E1.gif

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: