Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

I'm going to blow all my money on IIDX...advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sk1p
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: I'm going to blow all my money on IIDX...advice? Reply with quote

I just got my paycheck today, and I've decided to get IIDX. I have $650 to burn; spending less is obviously preferable.

What exactly do I need to buy and where should I go? I don't have a PS2 and don't have a controller and don't have any of the mixes (er, styles).

I know some of this is sort of answered in the FAQ thread, but...eh. If you were in my position what would you do?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
BradTheInsomniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: I'm going to blow all my money on IIDX...advice? Reply with quote

skip wrote:
If you were in my position what would you do?

I'd buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0942008944

Edit: oh, and I'd read it too. Just in case you didn't figure it out.
View users profile Send private message
Sk1p
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: I'm going to blow all my money on IIDX...advice? Reply with quote

BradTheInsomniac wrote:
skip wrote:
If you were in my position what would you do?

I'd buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0942008944

Edit: oh, and I'd read it too. Just in case you didn't figure it out.

I have a feeling that people who 1) I have been talking to on DDR Freak for almost two years, 2) are at easy disposal (this message board), and 3) are far more informed than I on the subject of home IIDX would result in a much better choice by me about what to buy and where.

Thanks for the lame attempt at attitude, though.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
DarkCSE
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jap PS2 from yesasia, ebay, or wherever: $250-$300 before shipping
Konami IIDX Controller from japanvideogames.com: $100
IIDX #Style from anywhere: $50-$70.

Also, you might want to check e-bay
Lepracon Artist
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip:

First off you need to buy a JPS2. YOu could:

A) look around e-bay or
B) look at various websites. Nscx.com, yesasia.com, and japanvideogames.com are some examples. Look around for the cheapest one you can find and such.

Next, get a controller and a games style. I'd get 6th, simply because it's the eaiest one to find here. Various websites also have it.

Anywho, that's the jist, but it's also covered in the FAQ.

Lame horse!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get:

JPS2
Official IIDX controler
3rd style
4th style
5th style
6th style

I got all of those for around $650 all brand new when my dad went to Japan, so I'm pretty sure you can get all of them, but finding 3rd and 4th might be hard.
CStarFlare
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to blow all my money on IIDX...advice?

Do it do it do it.

www.videogamedepot.com used to have a JPS2 for $250. Now they've got a newer model for $275, and some of the special colored ones for $315. All free shipping. They usually don't have Beatmania games, but I got my 6th Style there... they just don't seem to carry them very often.

www.YesAsia.com has IIDX controllers for $85 and free shipping, but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

I reccomend www.JapanVideoGames.com for the game itself. Prices aren't too bad; I've seen up to $80 for 3rd-5th elsewhere. But Ebay's also a good place to look, espcially if you want 3rd Style. You can find a 3rd for around $55 shipped relatively easily there. As a matter of fact...
Sk1p
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is getting a JPS2 a much better idea than a modded PS2?

EDIT: Never mind...JPS2 and game = bought E1.gif
HighwayStarX
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my jap ps2 in complete perfect condition for $149. i got the controller for 89, my 3rd style for 30, and 6th for 50. yey for ebay. im gonna sign up for rinkya once i recieve my credit card which should be soon hopefully and get 4th and 5th style off that.
JustJeff
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of the game did you get?

I guess at this point, getting any of them is good.

But if you didn't get 4th, get it as soon as you see it. I've seen it go as high as $70+ on eBay. I paid $60 for mine a year ago from japanvideogames.com.

3rd - has the most tracks but ugliest interface. Though alot of the older tracks, people do not like. But I seem to play it a good bit.

4th - has alot of hard 4 and 5 star songs but, the music is soooo good. Jive Into the Night, Fantasy, Voltage... Me love. Though at 53 tracks, its the thinnest of the bunch.

5th - cooler interface that the first two games and you get beginners mode but if you were passing Light Seven songs at DBA, you don't really need to worry about this mode. Nice song selection.

6th - easiest to find, plus it grades you. And you get the gallery and the neat little videos. I can't say anything bad about this one.

I love all four of them and I'm highly anticipating 7th Style to come out.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Clay0K
Staff Member
Staff Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best decision you'll ever make! A J-PS2 is more than worth the money.

Anyway Beatmania has the highest replay value I've ever seen in a game. You spend every waking moment trying to pass a song. Then you spend the time perfecting it, then its on to impressing the ladies..er--bystanders. Or in at-home cases, close friends who have no idea what's going on. biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Oogami128
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustJeff wrote:
But if you didn't get 4th, get it as soon as you see it. I've seen it go as high as $70+ on eBay. I paid $60 for mine a year ago from japanvideogames.com.
Yeah, 4th is a bugger to find nowadays pretty much anywhere, and even in Japan it fetches a high price (usually about 5000 yen, which is ca. $45 US)

Quote:
4th - has alot of hard 4 and 5 star songs but, the music is soooo good. Jive Into the Night, Fantasy, Voltage... Me love. Though at 53 tracks, its the thinnest of the bunch.
Yeah, but it's got 51 all new songs (old ones being Leading Cyber and Sense), compared to, say, 5th's songlist which contains quite a few duplicates.

Quote:
5th - cooler interface that the first two games and you get beginners mode but if you were passing Light Seven songs at DBA, you don't really need to worry about this mode. Nice song selection.
I agree. I wub 5th E15.gif

Quote:
6th - easiest to find, plus it grades you. And you get the gallery and the neat little videos. I can't say anything bad about this one.
Note: since availability over there oftentimes reflects availability here, then I'd recommend getting sixth, NOW. Sixth has been quite hard to find in Japan for some time now, and it fetches the highest price of all the Styles USED (usually selling for ca. 5500 yen, or about $50 US). I wouldn't be surprised if soon on down the line online retailers will suddenly find themselves unable to restock this game easily, and circulation on eBay might slow to a trickle, thereby raising the price and lowering the availability. I mean, Third has been easy as pie to find in Japan for months now, and it's now going down in price on the internet now that copies are easier to come by.
SamplingMasters PongAtari
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werd, get 4th and 6th first. I've seen 4th for sale two times and 6th for sale once. I'll sell you 3rd pretty cheap if you can't find it.

1994 180sx Type X
Boroboro jikozo!
altinure
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could spend my money on IIDX, but there's this stupid thing called college that I have to attend. -_- Hopefully the price on PS2s will lower signifigantly when PS3 comes out in Japan, but with my luck, IIDX controllers will be impossible to find then.
CStarFlare
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oogami128 wrote:
Yeah, but it's got 51 all new songs (old ones being Leading Cyber and Sense)

I noticed that... did Leading Cyber and Sense get their Anothers in 4th Style?
JustJeff
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know LC did. I'm not sure about Sense though.

But I didn't mean that the low track number was a negative. Not at all. 4th and 6th are by far my favorites.

5th is niiiiice too even if it does have a few repeats but that's understandable.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
SamplingMasters PongAtari
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Sense has an another in 4th. Wasn't sense on the 4th style soundtrack?

1994 180sx Type X
Boroboro jikozo!
BradTheInsomniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm going to blow all my money on IIDX...advice? Reply with quote

skip wrote:
I have a feeling that people who 1) I have been talking to on DDR Freak for almost two years, 2) are at easy disposal (this message board), and 3) are far more informed than I on the subject of home IIDX would result in a much better choice by me about what to buy and where.

You forgot one:

4) have no interest in making life easier for people who are too lazy to read FAQs and previous threads

If you hadn't said "I know some of this is sort of answered in the FAQ thread" I would have given you a real answer, but...eh.
Sk1p
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 3rd Style and 6th Style and am looking around for controllers now...I have a feeling those two will keep me busy for quite a while.

Thanks for the help!
Opethian
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd will give you the most fun as a beginner
6th will prove to be more of a challenge

good choices tho
collect em all
japanvideogames.com and shop.himeya.com
both have controllers in stock

Last edited by Opethian on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: