Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Forum changes -- take it to the headline post.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loogaroo
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Forum changes -- take it to the headline post. Reply with quote

I don't think I agree with this move, for three reasons:

1) The index page is getting massively cluttered. There used to be only 5 DDR-related forums on the main page. Now there's seven, and soon to be eight when you add the "Official Introduction" page. You're getting too big.

2) New people won't know where to go anymore. When I joined up, I immediately went to the N/N/I board because the title implied that I could get acquainted and learn the ropes there. Having an N/N/I board means that n00bs have a safe haven to develop their sea legs before branching out to the other forums. They aren't going to immediately recognize a n00b-friendly board if N/N/I goes away. ("Official Introduction" doesn't really convey "Beginner-friendly" that well.)

3) Consequently, you'll flood the other boards with new people who are still feeling their way around here. Some people are impatient enough with n00bs; it'll only get worse when there's no place for them to go.

Just say yes to N/N/I.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Junior Asparagus
Administrator
Administrator

1. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This debate went on between the mods for a while. In the end, it seemed like a majority were in favor with it. Someone else can probably explain better than I, but some people just felt that the current layout was disorganized.

Personally I didn't see the need for forum reorganization, partially because of the reason you already stated with the newbies being unsure where to post (although the subheader for chit-chat now includes introductions). But in the end, I don't think it'll make THAT much of a difference. Everyone will adjust.
Administrator
Administrator

2. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The N/N/I boards were created because many people were getting annoyed at newbie-ish posts in the other forums. Newbies would post, people would flame them, and the newbies would get scared away. N/N/I was like a safe haven where they can be as newbie as they want, and still find encouragement among others. Now that it's going away, I also fear that the old flaming newbies will come back. I was the only person who voted against this idea. Since I trust the opinions of the other moderators, and because I don't post as much as I used to, I'm allowing this reorganization to go on. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Rampage would be the best person to explain the reasons for the new layout.
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Dogg wrote:
I was the only person who voted against this idea.

For the record (because I know it sounds like I was against it in my post), I either voted "I don't care" or I abstained from voting. I don't remember which. I argued against it at first, but then I figured if the other people wanted it, it wouldn't really make all that much of a difference to me.

We'll see what I say after I grow accustomed to it... E13.gif
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a don't care vote because there were parts I like, but parts I didn't like. I wasn't keen on losing N/N/I and I think the board has too many forums. In any case, I trust the judgment of the other moderators and hope that this will help the board.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loog I would agree with you a year ago, but when you look at the N/N/I forum now, what do you see? It's full of I passed this oni! I FCed Max 300! And several other non-newbie accomplishments.

N/N/I was a haven for newbies, but it turned bragging from the ddr elite. I don't think that's very welcoming to an amateur.

While I did oppose the idea of the forum being renamed, it really does seem like a better fix. Changing it to Introductions and accomplishments would have sufficed I think.

So is N/N/I and every post made within it going to be deleted? What's the fate of the forum?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Mr. Deus
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as I don't have to scroll down for Random Chat, I'm happy.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Romantic Boy
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: In Southern California, where the romance guides me through my heart and soul
7. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Hmmmmmmmm Reply with quote

J Dogg wrote:
I was the only person who voted against this idea.

If You mean moderator then sure. If you mean overall approach. I'm against it.

I love reading about other's accomplishments. I love hearing and seeing what people can do out there.

I also had a liking to Too Nice the moderator of that forum. Dunno why Too Nice just seemed like an awesome moderator to me.

I also believe that Max 300 is a tough song for anyone. A majority of my posts were in NNI.....infact

NNI IS A PLACE WHERE YOU POST YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!

So I dont find anything wrong with posting Max accomplishments.

Now that it's gone, I just dont feel "normal" It'll take a lot of adjusting. I was also never a really huge fan of DDR Gameplay either. Dunno why. I really clicked somehow with NNI and well...if NNI goes.....I just dont know how I'm going to cope with that routine being gone. Almost like cutting breakfast out of my life.

Dont know..every time I went on this site I went to NNI and checked up on how people were doing with their updates, welcoming to the new people on the boards and I infact did get lots of positive feedback from these people. That not only made my experience here better but also made them feel welcome.

NNI being locked is probably going to affect not only my presence on this site but many others as well.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody comes to this site just to brag, and leaves because they can't brag any more, I say good riddance.
Junior Asparagus
Administrator
Administrator

9. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrating Groovy Sexfiend wrote:
Changing it to Introductions and accomplishments would have sufficed I think.

Hahaha, I actually suggested that very thing. Same name and all. But the retort was that introductions don't belong together with accomplishments. Something along those lines. I still think that would've been the easiest thing to do though...

On the not-so-negative side, please note that the forum jurisdiction HAS changed for the existing forums....so there still is a place for intros and there still is a place for accomplishments. They're separated now.

Although...I get the feeling that there's still a slim chance that we might revert things back. So people, please voice your opinions on the changes.
Administrator
Administrator

10. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mixed opinions obviously.

Loogaroo -[TWG]- wrote:
1) The index page is getting massively cluttered. There used to be only 5 DDR-related forums on the main page. Now there's seven, and soon to be eight when you add the "Official Introduction" page. You're getting too big.

I count 6 once N/N/I is removed.

DDR Chit-Chat
DDR Gameplay
DDR Arcade
DDR Consoles
DDR Simulators
DDR Tournament Discussion

No space lost of gained since the at Home split.

The N/N/I forums were a safe haven yes, but as said before, it was also for accomplishments. With accomplishments comes AAAs, beating Maxes with high scores, and these people aren't new.

So, some thought a split would be in order, so seperate new from old. Accomplishments were shown to be a Gameplay issue, therefore we have put them there. So what is left?

Quote:
Hi, I am new here

I, personally, don't think it's too practical for an entire forum for that quote. It would probably just lead to post whore replies of:

Quote:
Welcome.

That's why the Announcement was put on the first available forum, because the majority of new people will end up going there first.
Administrator
Administrator

11. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rationale for the proposal was two-fold.

N/N/I and Gameplay were for the most part awfully redundant. Both boards had mostly the same talk in them. "How do I pass this," "need help with this song," "how do I freestyle." The only difference was that N/N/I had introduction threads and people posting about accomplishments.

We have enough forums without needing such similar forums. We're trying having an introductions thread as the top-most thread in chit-chat since that's the first place people go. Most people post their "hello" message then it just sits there forever. Why not devote a thread to it where people can introduce themselves rather than a message board.

As far as accomplishments goes, we'll have to see how it goes with their new home in Gameplay. It never really got out of control in the N/N/I, and if things do get out of control we can take remedies.

Also, the arcade board was added to eliminate the excess of posts in chit-chat regarding arcade specific topics such as annoying shadowers, technical questions about the machines, upgrades, memory cards, etc.

Basically the idea is to eliminate clutter and have a more choesive location for things. It's still in progress, but I think things will work out for the best once the dust settles.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
nystargate
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmmmmmmm Reply with quote

Vi0Let wrote:
I love reading about other's accomplishments. I love hearing and seeing what people can do out there.

Now that it's gone, I just dont feel "normal" It'll take a lot of adjusting. I was also never a really huge fan of DDR Gameplay either. Dunno why. I really clicked somehow with NNI and well...if NNI goes.....I just dont know how I'm going to cope with that routine being gone. Almost like cutting breakfast out of my life.

Dont know..every time I went on this site I went to NNI and checked up on how people were doing with their updates, welcoming to the new people on the boards and I infact did get lots of positive feedback from these people. That not only made my experience here better but also made them feel welcome.

NNI being locked is probably going to affect not only my presence on this site but many others as well.

It really shouldn't be that big of an adjustment for you. From now on, look at Gameplay to find the progress and accomplishment threads. They haven't been eliminated - they are just in a different place. I'm sure you will find just as many people to encourage as you used to. And if you feel like welcoming newcomers, then pop on over to that thread in Chit Chat.

Nothing has been eliminated. Its's just in a different place.

I voted to make this change. I've always wanted to do it. It always bothered me that Gameplay was hardly used. Most things discussed in N/N/I really belonged in Gameplay. It just seems logical that threads about AAA's don't belong in the same forum with Newcomers.

I think the change will actually encourage more people to post. I also think the quality of threads will be better and easier to find. I remember when I first started, I was scared to post in N/N/I because it seemed like everyone in that forum was passing catas with ease. I figured I must really be awful since apparantly even newcomers could pass all the hardest songs and I had to practice even Butterfly many times before I could pass it on basic.

Gameplay will be filled with accomplishments and requests for help from the most basic to the most advanced. I think everyone will be better served that way...
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Cookies
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I suppose I can make this comment here.

What exactly is the purpose of Chit Chat? It's going to be littered with people posting in the wrong forum and polls. I guess I just don't see the logic behind this forum. Every issue of DDR now has it's own forum, so Chit chat seems pointless.
slkmmm
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I suppose I can make this comment here.

What exactly is the purpose of Chit Chat? It's going to be littered with people posting in the wrong forum and polls. I guess I just don't see the logic behind this forum. Every issue of DDR now has it's own forum, so Chit chat seems pointless.

That's a good idea. Chit Chat was good, but since every topic of DDR has it's own forum, why not just get rid of it. Then you could bring back the N/N/I forum for introductions and the like. I know it won't happen, but I like the idea.
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

15. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it as the new Newbie forum only (hopefully) with more conversation. There are still things that don't necessarily apply to another forum, but pertain to DDR. Such as talk about a specific song, or favorite things about the game.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:
Such as talk about a specific song

Many of those either go horribly off topic, or evolve into gameplay issues.
As seen in the following:

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66234
http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66071
http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65971 <-- this was just answered over and over again.
http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66291

Phrekwenci wrote:
or favorite things about the game.

polls.

It seems to me that nearly half of all the topics that enter chit chat get locked at some point or another.

Edit: looking back, maybe there is a point for it and I'm just not seeing it yet. I felt this way about the Simulator Forum at first too.

Hopefully with these new fixes, Chit Chat will iron itself out and people will stop posting wrong things there.
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

17. PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that nearly half of all the topics that enter chit chat get locked at some point or another.

Edit: looking back, maybe there is a point for it and I'm just not seeing it yet. I felt this way about the Simulator Forum at first too.

Hopefully with these new fixes, Chit Chat will iron itself out and people will stop posting wrong things there.

The examples I mentioned were just off the top of my head. But you must understand how cluttered both DDR Chit Chat AND N/N/I were. There will always be one forum with a over populus of newbies, and it's generally the first forum on the list.

We think everything will iron out, we hope so. And yea, the Simulator forum is a great success so, let's see if we can keep that type going.
Administrator
Administrator

18. PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure regular posters like VGS are well aware of what the status of N/N/I was.

I still maintain that having all the most common sort of post-whorey threads in the same forum was generally a good thing. Now instead of one forum with lots of clutter, it's 2 or 3 forums with a little less clutter.

I'm just not convinced yet that all the newbies are smart enough to post in the right place when there isn't a forum that says NEWCOMERS in big letters. Perhaps I am cynical.
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long is all this gonna take?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: