Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Board styles (subSilver, euclid, etc.)

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Board styles (subSilver, euclid, etc.) Reply with quote

How come when I change my board style to something like subSilver or one of the other euclids like cool midnight or whatever, the site continues to look the same? Are these officially unsupported? I'd really like to be able to use a light-on-dark, lower contrast color scheme.

-Crystal
View users profile Send private message
Bringer of Death
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, there's a lot of custom code that works just for this board theme. Go with the other themes and ...I don't know, something bad will happen and the custom codes won't work. Or something.
You have asked for infinity and you don't deserve it.

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
-
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, that sounds klugy and hackish. Are you serious? If so, someone should clean that up... ;-)
Bringer of Death
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why clean it up when this board has several advantages? One of them being it looks just fine and does it's job, and the another being wayyyy too time consuming putting the code to ALL THE OTHER THEMES.

Not to mention the unnecessary waste of space and bandwidth associated with the other themes.

-
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments don't make sense to me as a programmer. "Putting the code to ALL THE OTHER THEMES"? What exactly does that mean? I can't think of any good engineering reason to hard-code everything so that it only works with one style, breaking the existing PHPBB2 code. Nor would it actually waste any bandwidth, and the amount of space it'd take is pretty minimal and I'm sure is insignificant.

Are you actually familiar with the reasons these themes aren't supported, or are you just trying to think up a defense for it? Because please don't; I'd rather hear from someone who's actually familiar with it.

Also, if these are intentionally unsupported, DDRFreak should remove the options from the menu. Incidentally, the line "This data is based on users active over the past five minutes" refers to the data area which has been removed from the front forums page; that line should be removed, too.

-Crystal
Mr. Deus
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*speaking from memory of questions like this8

The way they have it set up, is that the custom code (i.e. warnings) was only programmed into one board theme.

I'm not sure how they managed to limit it to one theme, but they did. And to get it to work in the other themes, they would need to place the code into those themes as well.

Pretty silly for a few colors, eh?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
evn
Staff Member
Staff Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the simplest terms phpbb2 is s "fucking mess" to work on. Adding modifications either means

1) tearing through a bunch of scattered php files until you find what you want (usually in 4 or 5 files)
or 2) finding the html pages that define the theme and just adding your hack/mod/whatever in there. (usually one or two files in the same directory)

I imagine things started out fairly simple: "Lets add x" - and after screwing around with the actual sections it was found easier to just toss it into sub silver. Then we "added Y and Z" and they went in the same way. At this point the site was dependent on subsilver so why not just add all the other modifications there too?

IIRC even when the forums were new there were never alternate styles (nor did the site intend to use them) so from the volunteer developers perspective - just getting the job done in a reasonable amount of time was the primary concern. If we're not going to use any other theme why bother with making sure our code works there? That just means more development time, which means angry developers (who are also angry mods), and angry mods lead to......what I wouldn't give to drop phpBB2 and move to a decent message board.. Well, you get the idea.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal wrote:
Are you actually familiar with the reasons these themes aren't supported, or are you just trying to think up a defense for it? Because please don't; I'd rather hear from someone who's actually familiar with it.

Don't get bitchy with me, I was only trying to help you understand why it's like that.

Romantic Boy
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: In Southern California, where the romance guides me through my heart and soul
8. PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Hmmmmm Reply with quote

Crystal wrote:

The Anti Hero wrote:
Don't get bitchy with me, I was only trying to help you understand why it's like that.

Changing the world, One Death at a time.

And Crystal...your level of expertise is way beyond anything I'm familiar with. Sorry I cant help

I've honestly wondered the same thing too about why the colors dont change confused.gif

hehe oh well...I DO understand tho that php isn't easy stuff to deal with...

...and with a site this big there are more important things to worry about
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: