Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Your doubles setup for SM/DWI?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nematoad
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Your doubles setup for SM/DWI? Reply with quote

well i know that some people haven't played doubles on SM/DWI but some do....and I want to ask what assigned keys you use for it?.......my keys are....

left side
left = left arrow key
right = right arrow key
up = up arrow key
down = down arrow key

right side
left = #1 key (on numpad)
right = #3 key (on numpad)
up = #5 key (on numpad)
down = #2 key (on numpad)

...........but anyway i'm lookin to try another setup since i have trouble hitting some arrows, does anyone have any recommendations? E19.gif
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

1. PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about getting in doubles tonight. And I was also thinking about playing doubles with one hand.

Unfortunately, I play on a laptop. I'll need an external laptop type keyboard.

But your default is how the only doubles dwi player I know plays (PerfectAsymmetry), he does really well like that too.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one handed doubles?.......damn, i find that pretty impressive!
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vicious Nematoad!!! wrote:
one handed doubles?.......damn, i find that pretty impressive!

Well, I wont be able to do it until I get a keyboard that will support my hand movement. But I think I'll look for one tomorrow.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DWI doubles setup is the default I believe:

LEFT SIDE UDLR = wsad
RIGHT SIDE UDLR = arrow keys

I place 3 fingers (no thumb/pinkie) on each set of "bottom" three keys and go from there. Depending on the song, I can get some pretty good scores. But, twisty/jumpy stuff is no good - it becomes too easy to lose a combo. Having one hand do all the work at double speed doesn't help either. Um, with DWI anyway biggrin.gif

Like the PS2 game, you are supposed to have two actual pads! I've configured by controller the best I can for the PS2, and still doubles is no more than a pointless diversion. It's impossible to be excel at it with a controller, unless someone makes a "pop 'n' music" style DDR-doubles controller! I wanted this for a long time! (Before you slam this statement, I have already done all I can: email RedOctane about it.)

Anyway, I've played some serious DWI-doubles tonight to show what is possible when the right song is played in my configuration.

http://members.shaw.ca/drenchfur/DDRfreakCowgirlDoubles.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/drenchfur/DDRfreakBurningHeatDoubles.JPG
View users profile Send private message
Technick
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this setup for doubles play:

Left Panel: WASD

Right Panel: TFGH

It works for me and I can move across the keyboard easily.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup/play style as Drenchfur- WSAD for left, arrows for right - except I'm on a laptop. Since I only play Singles with WSAD/left hand, my right hand is actually the worse in doubles, losing the bars in the Onis...

(heh, someone should just redraw the arrow sets into ASDFJKL; and make it an 8-key typing teacher nerd.gif )
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

7. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I bought an external num pad for my laptop. But I am not using like you think. I turned it to the left and now play with one hand.

1 player side
left=/
right=5
up=9
down=8

2 player side
left=6
right=.
up=3
down=2

So the left and right on the 2 player side are a key higher. I am trying to get used to it, crossovers are tough (1P right being 5 and 2P left being above that as 6). Though just about anything on the 2 player side I still have to think about before I step.

Though I did AA Dynamite Rave (Down Bird SOTA mix), 8 greats 2 misses. More practice tomorrow.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:
Though I did AA Dynamite Rave (Down Bird SOTA mix), 8 greats 2 misses. More practice tomorrow.

You're nuts. I can't believe you did that with one hand on that layout. Well, actually I do believe it. I want to see if you beat my scores linked above.

My PA is never that good - the 12 greats on CowGirl was surprising. Also surprising was the 4 point discrepancy in the score tallies. Huh?
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

9. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drenchfur wrote:
Phrekwenci wrote:

You're nuts. I can't believe you did that with one hand on that layout. Well, actually I do believe it. I want to see if you beat my scores linked above.

My PA on simulators is very good for someone who plays with only two fingers attached to the same hand[/bragging]. I was looking for a keyboard that was 6 keys long for a double arrow key layout that would match a double panel, but I had to settle with the above layout.

I want to get ridiculous at this, not just nuts.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play doubles I play with an alternate set up.
That set up is:

Left Hand
A W R G

Right Hand
J O P '
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Nematoad
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a wicked setup phrek, and awesome that you can play with just one hand, i'm not as brave as you to try somethin like that laugh.gif

sivus - confusing setup it seems, which arrows are which key in your setup?
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

12. PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the keyboard an imagine all those keys in the same line. Then match them up with the static arrows on top.

Update: I can do pretty well on standard songs now. My crossovers are feeling better. L'amour on trick is hell when you are learning. Dynamate Rave SOTA mix is good on standard to learn though.

I still have a problem with finger placement too. Sometimes I miss an arrow completely and it throws my orientation off.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:

Look at the keyboard an imagine all those keys in the same line. Then match them up with the static arrows on top.

ah i see now, thanks........wow, i've gotta give that a try!.......
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

14. PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: So, I can do heavy songs pretty well now, I can B just about all of them until they are really tricky. I still am having trouble with the jumps even though I got slighty better at them, but I will probably end up making a dummy dwi to practice.

Here is a screen on DDR doubles oni (I know it says heavy, it was the oni steps).

2 greats 1 good 2 boos and 20 misses, the rest perfect. It really isn't a matter of PA, it's a matter of remember where the key is. A lot of those misses were the jumps though. Ironic how that was the way I AA'ed the single steps in SM (by using Wide, adding jumps).
Administrator
Administrator

15. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: (because you people care) I can AA stuff now, one handed. Almost full combo'ed stoic. Here's some screens.

Twilight Zone Heavy Doubles 10 greats 3 misses

Stoic Heavy Doubles 2 greats 1 miss (right after pause, I was nervous)

So, progress is good. thumb.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:
Update: (because you people care) I can AA stuff now, one handed. Almost full combo'ed stoic.

freakin' unbelievable...........you just started playin that way like 3-4 days ago right?.........you got skills!!!!! thumb.gif
Devil Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Doubles DWI/SM Setup:

Two CF Pads, set side by side, with the doubles kit, and using an EMS USB 2 Adapter.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

18. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:
Update: (because you people care) I can AA stuff now, one handed. Almost full combo'ed stoic.

freakin' unbelievable...........you just started playin that way like 3-4 days ago right?.........you got skills!!!!! :thumb:

Started two days ago. Jumps are getting better. And I just A'ed The least 100 sec. 283 combo, no screen unless it's an AA.
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everytime i check this thread out, you've vastly improved your game in some miraculous way.....stop it! your making me feel inferior!!!!....joking of course! E15.gif laugh.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: