Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR Sim For Macintosh
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cintifizzo
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: DDR Sim For Macintosh Reply with quote

Anyone know about any DDR Sims for Macintosh? I figured that since it got locked on Chit-Chat, maybe it fits here.

Updated: Passed So Deep October 2, 2003
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
evn
Staff Member
Staff Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got fink installed you can snag pygame and sdl and then install pyddr.

It's not pretty and doesn't have freeze arrows or oni courses but it's all we've got until stepmania for mac is finished.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evn wrote:
If you've got fink installed you can snag pygame and sdl and then install pyddr.

It's not pretty and doesn't have freeze arrows or oni courses but it's all we've got until stepmania for mac is finished.

yes it is not pretty. Go for Mac's SM once it comes out, and you'll see that it has more features, plus it looks and operates like the arcade engine.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are essentially 3 Sims for the Mac that I know of.

There's PyDDR, which isn't pretty, doesn't actually use DWIs (you have to convert to "STEP" format), and doesn't look or feel like DDR, but it works in a pinch.

There's Stepmania, which is still waiting on someone to port the sound code, as well as they have a few internal bugs to work out which are preventing it from building.

There's another unnamed Sim that right now is in a very nice state, but likely won't be released ever due to the author's fear of getting sued (as he's been sued in the past for other projects and would kind of like to avoid that now).

So, yes, for now, I'd say go with PyDDR, until such a time when Stepmania for OS X comes out.
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other sim is CPDL - one of the guys working on it posted on the forums for a while. IIRC it's written in java and is designed to run on anything.

I installed pyDDR last night and it does work - it's gotten a lot better than the last time I tried it. Freeze arrows work, and though the interface is ugly ddr doesn't have to be pretty.

I've got an install guide mostly done - I'm just working on making dwi2step to work so you can actually use standard files. For some reason the pyddr install for os x doesn't ship with dwi2step and I can't make the .py script find find pygame so it doesn't run.
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does SM come out for OSX?
View users profile Send private message
Cintifizzo
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evn wrote:

um.. fink? pygame? i think i kinda understand pyddr.. but ya think you could further explain.. or something, links work too, then i could just go straight to the download for whatever it is i need. thanks.

Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evn wrote:
The other sim is CPDL - one of the guys working on it posted on the forums for a while. IIRC it's written in java and is designed to run on anything.

Not the other one *I* was referring to. E1.gif

I'm pretty sure CPDL got rewritten in C++ and lost most of the crossplatformness...
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously now... Are you guys intentionally trying to confuse me? Sorry if I dont know what your talking about at all... just, if anybody knows when SM for mac comes out, please tell me.

evn
Staff Member
Staff Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a message to ZOOT (one of the developers) - he said he can't offer a timeframe for it's release but said it is being worked on.
Administrator
Administrator

10. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those looking, evn has made a FAQ for pyDDR. It's located in the DDR Simulator FAQ sticky.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! DDR Sim... For MAC... I can just imagine the cookie Barbie Girl steps. Maybe a step file to the original Sobakasu. :-D

Dance Masters: JPMax Single-Light. USMax Single-Light, Single-Standard. JPMax2 Single-Light.

Onis: USMax Lesson Oni. JPMax2 MoreLight, BeForU,
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to thread bump, but better that than having two Mac threads on the same page, I suppose. E1.gif

Would, or do, any Mac sims have USB pad support? I know OS X itself has no problems with USB devices, but I'd like to be sure a pad will work with my new Mac before I spend the money.

Actually, on that same note, does anyone know if Konami's ever going to port DDR PC to the Mac? I'm not sure why they haven't, to be honest. . .
Cintifizzo
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequency wrote:
For those looking, evn has made a FAQ for pyDDR. It's located in the DDR Simulator FAQ sticky.

well i tried that.. and it didnt work.. maybe its just me, but im not gonna try again since i figure its not worth my time if Stepmania is coming out soon. But could you guys tel me the date of the release?

asdfqweruiop
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cintifizzo wrote:
Frequency wrote:

well i tried that.. and it didnt work.. maybe its just me, but im not gonna try again since i figure its not worth my time if Stepmania is coming out soon. But could you guys tel me the date of the release?

evn wrote:
I sent a message to ZOOT (one of the developers) - he said he can't offer a timeframe for it's release but said it is being worked on.

shazzam
View users profile Send private message Send email
tortoise
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remy wrote:

I'm pretty sure CPDL got rewritten in C++ and lost most of the crossplatformness...

CPD's been in some serious hibernation for a while, but it's not dead. And ironically going to C++ made CPD more cross platform compatible.

Anyway, keep an eye out, I'll have a new release fairly soon, and it's quite different.
View users profile Send private message
Black Lab
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

16. PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS JUST IN!! FIRST SCREENS OF OS X STEPMANIA!!

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/steve/sm/
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Gotta love the screenshots of SM for OS X, i just got a powerbook myself, and i haven't been to ddrfreak for a while, and i was thinking of starting this very same thread, actually i was just wondering HOW THE HELL DO YOU INSTALL CPD?? i downloaded it and now its sitting there in a folder while i just look at it and fool around with it every day trying to install it but i can't figure out how (it shames me to say this, but i'm a new Mac user so i don't know how to compile programs yet frown.gif ) so if anyone has any clue of how to get CPD to install just send me a private message, if not i guess its time to do more waiting till SM for OS X comes out....
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooh. It looks good. ^^

Is a CVS version already floating around, by any chance? I'm wondering, since the first screenshot had a CVS in the top right corner. If not, maybe a CVS version will be out soon. biggrin.gif
evn
Staff Member
Staff Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checkout the CVS page for StepMania at sourceforge. If you do that from time to time you'll see that there isn't anything up for PPC yet.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: