Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Insane Stepmania Bug
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crza
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Sittin in my chair jackin-err playin DWI. Yeah that's it...
0. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: The Insane Stepmania Bug Reply with quote

Ok maybe it's just me or my computer but Stepmania gives me the weirdest bug. Every time I start a song, I'll play it anywhere from 20-60 seconds and then all of the sudden, the arrows will lock up and not let me hit them! I'll be pressing keys and nothing will happen until my life bar gets to 1 miss away from dead. And then I turn on DWI and everything works fine. I have downloaded the newest CVS for it and nothing helps. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How old is your computer?

2. How many songs do you have?

3. How often does this happen?

This information would help me out.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technick wrote:
1. How old is your computer?

2. How many songs do you have?

3. How often does this happen?

This information would help me out.

1. About a year old

2. almost 400

3. every song

4. Yes I do have all the minimum requirements (preempt)
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT-R: Post your info.txt (it should be autogenerated in the base SM directory).

Other questions: Does the game proceed normally except that you can't hit any arrows, or does the entire game lock up? Also, does it happen at any given usage pattern in game-play, or at the same time on the same song, or anything of the sort?

-Dippy
PerfectAsymmetry
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

restate the question in the dwi/sm help thread E13.gif

yet another lock.
Administrator
Administrator

5. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PerfectAsymmetry wrote:
restate the question in the dwi/sm help thread ;)

yet another lock.

Actually, you don't need to.

Since we have an entirely new forum, we don't need to restrict the question to one help thread. Therefore, people may create new threads with questions not answered in the readme or FAQ.

Thread can stay open.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much answered your own question...It's a bug

It happens to me and pretty much everyone else that uses it...SM 3.0 and the CVS's are actually full of bugs E2.gif
Administrator
Administrator

7. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can be the reason that CVS has bugs is because I was told it wasn't an official version of Stepmania. Remember, skins and themes wont work it CVS, which could also add to the truth of that statement.

Though that was coming from a person who strictly a DWI user, so I am not sure of the validity.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah dude you're right CVS's are basically just testing releases for the new version of Stepmania.
Roxor Staff
Roxor Staff

9. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:
What can be the reason that CVS has bugs is because I was told it wasn't an official version of Stepmania. Remember, skins and themes wont work it CVS, which could also add to the truth of that statement.

CVS snapshots (at least those linked from SourceForge) are "official"--they're just not final releases. They're released expressly for the purposes of finding bugs.

GT, make sure you're using the newest snapshot (last night), and then post your info.txt. Also, what are you using--a keyboard or a pad? If you're using a keyboard, try a pad (or a joystick if you don't have a pad handy), or vice versa, and see if it still happens.

Also, please answer Dip's questions; they're relevant.
View users profile Send private message
sHadOwDAncErs
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Insane Stepmania Bug Reply with quote

GT-R wrote:
Ok maybe it's just me or my computer but Stepmania gives me the weirdest bug. Every time I start a song, I'll play it anywhere from 20-60 seconds and then all of the sudden, the arrows will lock up and not let me hit them! I'll be pressing keys and nothing will happen until my life bar gets to 1 miss away from dead. And then I turn on DWI and everything works fine. I have downloaded the newest CVS for it and nothing helps. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?

That USED to happen to me too... but I know how to fix it. I just changed the settings on my sm like maybe putting the resolution down and if you go to the menu "Game appearances" (i think that's the one) it should have the options "Animation, Video, something, or NONE" if your computer is really slow or old then you might want to put none and lower the resolution enough so that it won't slow or freeze your arrows down. I hope this helps E1.gif

My Pretty Much Daily Issues A Shadow can never leave traces behind
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
EvilSporkMan
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experiencing the same problem except it's just a short stutter...this did not happen with 3.0 and Win2k but since i switched to Win98 and newest CVS it's been doing that and leaking memory like hell (as evidenced by HDD access after closing)...any solutions? Is it Win98 or SM?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Crza
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here we go:

Dipstick - I don't have an info.txt file. I have a COPYING, a log, and a README-FIRST file.

Perfect Assymetry - Yah that's right OPEN!! E7.gif

Phrekwenci - Thx for keeping this open, but ummm some help would be nice riiight.gif .

ZOOT - I'm not exactly sure what ur mean by snapshot, (other than hitting the print screen key while playing) but when I do play with my Gravis Gamepad Pro USB controller, it never messes up.

Shadowdancers - ummm no good man. Believe me tho, my computer is fast enough to handle Stepmania and movies or animations at the same time.

Evil Spork man - Probably that god damn Stepmania cuz I'm using XP.
Administrator
Administrator

13. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT-R wrote:
Phrekwenci - Thx for keeping this open, but ummm some help would be nice ^^;

Help isn't keeping this open?

No matter, if I have help to offer I will post it. If I don't have anything to tell you, I wont.

GT-R wrote:
Perfect Assymetry - Yah that's right OPEN!!

Don't do that. I can lock this as quick as I unlocked it.
Staff Member
Staff Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT-R wrote:
Ok here we go:

Perfect Assymetry - Yah that's right OPEN!! E7.gif

Ok, first, it was a mistake. As you already see, the thread is open. Second, basically what phrek said. Watch it. And yea, spell my name right E15.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT-R wrote:
Dipstick - I don't have an info.txt file. I have a COPYING, a log, and a README-FIRST file.

Sounds like you're running an older version of SM (by the fact that there is no info.txt output). Download and install this (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/stepmania/StepMania-CVS-20030531a.exe?download) and see if the problem goes away (you're going to want to uninstall SM 3.0 first... don't worry, it won't delete the song data).

-Dippy
Frinky
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest asking this on the official forums at www.stepmania.com. They have a topic where people jsut post their crash dumps so they can be fixed for the next CVS.
View users profile Send private message
TL
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe your videocard is obsolete
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
GuruX
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem with a USB keyboard (my motherboard has no PS2 ports), and the original 3.0 version of Stepmania. After downloading the latest CVS release, the problem went away (woohoo!).
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Crza
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all mods - Ok sorry, I didn't know you guys couldn't take jokes (and I really did think it was assymetry riiight.gif ). C'mon yall a happy work environment?? And thx for your help.

I have the newest CVS, my video card is not old and I still can't find info.txt And the retard forums at Stepmania didn't help me.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: