Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Preview Thread

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guido
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Preview Thread Reply with quote

This feature is when you don't feel like wasting your time on a I passed a Cata BS and you just hover your cursor over the title of the thread and a little screen comes up and says like the first paragrah of the post. This will make it convinent on people so they don't have to click on it and waste there time.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what you mean... that's an interesting idea.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

2. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good idea for a feature. I assume there is an existing PhpBB mod for this. Can you point me to a board that uses it? I'll be happy to implement it if it looks good.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Mr. Deus
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feh. I already read everything E13.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
evn
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't this be hard on the database server? This is just from memory so I could be way off base but:

phpbb stores forum posts in 3 tables (that are important to this anyway): topics, posts, and post_text. the current method is to join topics and posts and then query away - the bare info is given without bothering with any post text.

Wouldn't adding the text to the query at yet another join or a second querry to get that data and if so would this be as bad a performance hit as i think it would be?
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampage wrote:
That's a really good idea for a feature. I assume there is an existing PhpBB mod for this. Can you point me to a board that uses it? I'll be happy to implement it if it looks good.

Yeah, go to MaddenMania.com and register there and just move your cursor above a title of the thread and it will show up the first paragraph. You have to register because you can't see it without you being regitsered.

Evn, I have no idea what you're talking about sorry.
Administrator
Administrator

6. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evn wrote:
Wouldn't adding the text to the query at yet another join or a second querry to get that data and if so would this be as bad a performance hit as i think it would be?

I think you are saying, isn't this like asking for a bit more information which will slow down the site? Which I will agree, it probably will, considering it would have to load the post data.

I thought a lot of the reason why you people got rid of the "Who's online" code was because of needing a higher performance?

There aren't too many topics that the title is too far off. And if the title is in left field, there's a good chance that it's not worth getting the ball.
Administrator
Administrator

7. PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evn wrote:
wouldn't this be hard on the database server? This is just from memory so I could be way off base but:

phpbb stores forum posts in 3 tables (that are important to this anyway): topics, posts, and post_text. the current method is to join topics and posts and then query away - the bare info is given without bothering with any post text.

Well, it's only retrieving a couple hundred characters from the posts table. Plus it's all indexed, so I don't think there would be a performance hit. I'll do some beta testing and see how it works.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Guido
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Rampage I hope this works out well and people like this feature
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rampage, how is the beta testing looking?
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could only see one problem with this: What would denote a paragraph? I say go for the first 500 characters or something like that.
You have asked for infinity and you don't deserve it.

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: