Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Is the Drummania home kit worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunks12
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Is the Drummania home kit worth it? Reply with quote

Hi all my other bemaniacs. I'm contemplating getting a new bemani because I just got a Japanese PS2, and I was looking at the official drummania kit that comes with drummania 1st mix. My question to anyone else with the game is, "Is it really worth it?" Like, does it have many songs and is it worth the $200 for the set? (but the dealer says he'll cut me a deal). Any feedback would be appreciated, since I need to make my decision by Friday. Thanks in advance!
Gwok Dash
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's the first party set, you're good to go...

..as for 1st Mix..

You're better off getting GF3/DM2 as it has better songs, plus you get Guitar Freaks thrown in with it! 4th/3rd has a couple of good songs, too...
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got dm3/gf4 and a topway controllers (both gf and dm) all for 80$ TOTAL on ebay. ive had no problems, and am totally happy with it. the only thing is the bass pedal sucks, but i suck so i usually play autobass anyway. i couldnt pass up something so cheap on ebay. 150-200$ is WAAAYYY too much for an old old old old game with a good controller.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could by a $300 USB electric drum kit and plug it into your PS2.

How do those kits compare to the Konami DM controller? I haven't had experience with either. I'm using a Bony 3rd Party DM controller. The sensitivity is OK, but the bass pedal was dead on arrival. And for whatever reason, I can't press the second and fourth drums at the same time. Or was that first and fourth? I don't remember. But any two combonation works fine except for that one.

-DJ
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a topway third party controller, and it's pretty good except that the bass petal is totally annoying to use. I'm planning on moding it as soon as my DTX goes back to my band.

If you can swing the money (which I understand most people can't) the DTXExpress is exactly like what you get in the arcade (they use the yamaha drum pads in the arcade, infact). Annoyingly it only works with GF4th/DM3rd.
View users profile Send private message
Gwok Dash
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ wrote:
You could by a $300 USB electric drum kit and plug it into your PS2.

How do those kits compare to the Konami DM controller? I haven't had experience with either. I'm using a Bony 3rd Party DM controller. The sensitivity is OK, but the bass pedal was dead on arrival. And for whatever reason, I can't press the second and fourth drums at the same time. Or was that first and fourth? I don't remember. But any two combonation works fine except for that one.

-DJ

Yes, my sister has experienced problems with the Bony controller. Like mentioned, the bass pedal is good for nothing. And she's throwing sticks across the room during songs like Giant Slug because some buttons cannot be hit at the same time...
Shinmizu
Staff Member
Staff Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really into it, you can get the $400 (from Musician's Friend) Hart Dyamics Prodigy electronic drumset, with all the drums that you're aren't going to be using in Drummania and a bass pedal and drum module to go with it (since it doesn't come with one). I got a cheapo $40 bass pedal that works ok, and I got the KAT MIDIKiti module off of ebay for $99.

So... about $530 for a "real" electronic drumset. I prefer hooking it to the PC and playing DTXMania, since the songlist is theoretically unlimited, and you can make use of the hihat pedal, crash cymbal, and floor tom (provided the DTX file is done right). Half the price of the DTXExpress. Though, as onetwolittleb said, it only works with DM3rd... hopefully Konami will get off their butts and start releasing more home versions... (Or better yet, a DM USA).
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
trunks12
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for all your responses. After reading them and some of the other prices for good kits ($3-400), I think I'm gonna just get the first party controller and game. Its been sitting there for over six months, taunting me... Anywho, I plan on getting both Guitadoras eventually along with a Guitar Freaks Controller. Theres only 3-5 home versions a piece for these two, right? It'll be a lot cheaper than my DDR habit or trying to get into IIDX. Feel free to keep posting, and I'll probably post agin to know if the Konami kit is any good. Laterz!
Gwok Dash
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, Konami gets off their lazy butt and brings out 5th/4th. I love those two...

...BTW, IIDX is worth it. biggrin.gif
Rowen0fTheStrata
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not even going to read the posts that have already been posted. I would just like to answer your question and say no, for love of GOD NO it is not worth it. That is the poopyst home periphial i have ever seen in my entire life.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now why do you say that? Is there anything wrong with the drum set, like it doesn't respond well or feel arcade accurate? Or is just that you dont like the game or something? I'm gonna get the set tomorrow so I'd like to know why you don't like it.
~Enigma of TFF/TSOCP~
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have the stuff, and I have to say... yes... it is horrible. It's extremely hard to set up the stand, and you can break the plastic nubs on the end, and possibly break some part of the inside of the controller as well... just trying to set up the damn stand. It also is extremely annoying to hit one drum sensor and have all the sensors go off because you hit to hard. Also, another bad thing is the base peddal, since it's made of foam, it doesn't feel arcade-realistic at all and you'll end up seeing double hits on it even when you only tapped it once. That's all the bad things about this controller that I can think of, you're better off just saving up for a real electronic drum set with midi output and a mid-usb converter. IIDX on the other hand is worth every penny that you'll pay for it.

~Peace~

Ash - "DMX is more like a don't suck attack"
Mel. B - "I'd gladly drink a cup of her bathwater any day"
Anonymus - Well... he IS half asian.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
EmuProphet
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these angry people forgot to mentiont that they've only experienced 3rd party quality E13.gif
trunks12
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I got the set last friday and have been playing since then (today is tuesday). I gotta say it works really good. There's not that many songs on 1st mix, but I plan on getting others. One complaint i have is that the bass pedal really does suck. It registers when i lift and completely stomp my foot, but otherwise it blows. Any suggestions about a replacement for it that feels more arcade like, or at least is a "real" pedal? For now its auto-bass for me. Anyways, thanks for all the advice. Since there isn't one yet I'm probably gonna start a Drummania thread in the forum. Laterz!
-
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I recommend zzounds.com over musician's friend; musician's friend may be run by the guitar center people, but it's not nearly as reliable or reputable. Do a couple web searches for informatoin on them and you'll see what I mean.

zzounds has always been wonderful to me, and it has a much better reputation :D

-Crystal
Sohcahtoa
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I was at Fry's, I saw a USB electronic drum kit that had the drums laid out almost EXACTLY like the arcade DM drums. It was $300. I think it had an extra drum or two more than DM. I have no idea what it was called or who made it. I've scanned the web and can't find it.

Anyone have any idea what it was and if it'd work in GF 4th/DM 3rd on J-PS2?
Staff Member
Staff Member

16. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, never ever heard of zzounds. But, the three times I've ordered from Musician's Friend, I haven't had any problems. *shrugs*

I've just decided that karma, fate and the laws of reality like me more than they like everyone else I know. E10.gif
onetwolittleb
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my DTXPress from zzounds. So I had a good experience too.
EmuProphet
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

music123.com usually has the cheapest prices, and if you're buying a USB kit dont limit yourself to the PS2 you're missing 90% of the action...
Razma
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

19. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: is the DTXII compatable with DM3?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: