Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dasbacon
Trick Member
Trick Member

6780. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@goatee_guy wow.. really good work. i'd like to see more of the cabinet and inside the arrow panels.

looking forward to seeing that site you mentioned.

to nitpick, i think the buttons could be more at an angle. the overall size of the cab looks pretty beastly. the screws look pretty rough and the bars could be wider.. not to complain though still a really cool machine.
Basic Member
Basic Member

6781. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@goatee_guy: Wow! Phenomenal job with this.

I, too, am very much looking forward to seeing that site. E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

6782. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasbacon wrote:
to nitpick, i think the buttons could be more at an angle. the overall size of the cab looks pretty beastly. the screws look pretty rough and the bars could be wider.. not to complain though still a really cool machine.

Thanks for the input...

Um, the buttons being at more of an angle? I'm guessing you're referring to the start/cancel left/right buttons?

They could have been, although it wouldn't have been the look I wanted... However, before I built it, I figure out what the right height was for my hands *laughs* (no one elses is important E13.gif And using the buttons seems comfortable... at least, no different from an actual machine.

As for the cabinet size... It's actually several inches smaller front to back (about 3) and 1 inch shorter than an actual ITG 2 Dedicab. It is a few inches wider... however... going from a regular screen to widescreen can do that... So really, it's the same size as an arcade cab. However, generally you don't see ITG 2 cabinet photos in someone's small basement room, with a low ceiling... If you seen it in an arcade, it would look 'normal' sized.

Is it a bit big for a house... *laughs*, some people would say so... However, part of my goal was to make what I thought could be an actual ITG 3 arcade machine. So that's why it's not just a TV with buttons.

Yeah, the screws are pretty rough... However I got em for cheap and I'm looking for the kind they use in the ITG machines... I found a few places, but they want me to order them in like... boxes of 1000. Uh, how about no. So, those will be replaced when I find the right ones...

As for the bars being wider... They're the exact same width as an actual cabinet... they just don't flare out like some cabinets do. (So, would be like playing on a DDR cabinet.... and maybe an ITG1 cabinet? I haven't seen one of those in ages... so I can't remember if they do the flare out thing or not...)

Oh, and as for inside the arrow panels... Honestly... Look inside an arcade cabinet... I pretty much copied the design... uses arcade sensors... and the arcade sensor holders (from mymybox) and I just cut my own triangle brackets to attach the triangle brackets into...

I'll put some pics on the site once it's up though.
View users profile Send private message
dasbacon
Trick Member
Trick Member

6783. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatee_guy wrote:
Thanks for the input...

imo with the buttons angled it doesn't force your wrist to be tweaked so much in order to press the buttons. (extreme nit picking ;p)

an FX cabinet is a good example of a cabinet with a widescreen monitor isn't forced to be larger because of the monitor. (not that i love the FX design particularly though) i think the reason why the cabinet looks large is the space around the monitor.

its really annoying how those screws are so hard to find.. i don't understand why they are so rare.

the bars on pump/itgdedis are a lot wider than they are on ddr which i think is a lot more comfortable on my shoulder blades especially. also there was never an itg1 dedicated cabinet.

since the rest of the machine looks really well crafted it would just be interesting to also see the craftsmanship of inside the panels.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6784. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I didn't have an idea what TV I would be putting in there until later along in the project... so I wanted to have more than enough room... (too much is better than not enough) So, that's why I left the space...

Also, I built the lights into the header panel... (where as on say an ITG / DDR machine, they 'jet out' of the header) So, on an actual cabinet, the header is wider than the screen portion... for my design it had to be the same...

Looking back, if I had all the 'pieces' ahead of time... I prolly could have made it a bit smaller... However, I bought things as I had the money for em... seen how they fit together... assembled what I could, then when I had more money, bought the next pieces... Which, doing it that way doesn't lead to the most compact way of doing it possible.

As for the bars *shrugs*, I only use them to pull myself up sometimes when I'm doing freestyle or songs with crazy hands... Otherwise I don't even touch the bars when I play.
dasbacon
Trick Member
Trick Member

6785. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatee_guy wrote:
Looking back, if I had all the 'pieces' ahead of time... I prolly could have made it a bit smaller... However, I bought things as I had the money for em... seen how they fit together... assembled what I could, then when I had more money, bought the next pieces... Which, doing it that way doesn't lead to the most compact way of doing it possible.

makes sense
Trick Member
Trick Member

6786. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatee_guy, you should totally hit me up on AIM.

:x

I've got some stuff for ya E10.gif.
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

6787. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm stuff... I like stuff...
-dark-xuxa
Trick Member
Trick Member

6788. PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is one of the most impressive things ive ever seen.

is there ANY way you could get a video of it?
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

6789. PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-dark-xuxa wrote:
that is one of the most impressive things ive ever seen.

is there ANY way you could get a video of it?

Thanks Bro,

and no, physically impossible... can't get a video...
kidding E13.gif

I'm just waiting until I actually finish everything up... (If you look at the one pic the metal panels by the bars aren't even) that's because they're just set on... as well there are other little things that still need to be finished. So before I put a video up for the world to see... I'd like to get it all lookin' good.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

6790. PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT SH*T IS HYPE YO!

Now you can Falcon PAUWNCH the crap out of any song!

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

6791. PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't read through the thread, so this may have been done, but has anyone tried wiring a homemade pad to a 15-pin D-sub connector? That way, one could just buy a Cobalt Flux control box and use that on the homemade pad, and not have to solder to a controller. I plan to try this if I ever do build my own pad.

Sorry for bumping.

EDIT: Oh, and on the matrix sensor, how does the top mending brace stay on? Glue? Double-sided tape?
View users profile Send private message Send email
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

6792. PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kids, didn't realize the photos of my machine went offline...

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8973313#8973313

So the photos on that post are good to go again.
loyx
Basic Member
Basic Member

6793. PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thiencao wrote:
This forum is so slow it's unbearable. If someone knows of an alternative site with pads information please PM me it. This is driving me nuts just trying to look for information.

I am interested in building a Pump It Up pad but I don't have any dimensions to work from. Also I am highly interested in using the "Matrix" style sensors with the mending thingies with mousepad pieces(?). I"ve tried googling for information but no one goes into details on how to make it work or the explaining the process. I really like the Stealth pad but it looks difficult with the drilling and bore depths. So if you're a pro plz PM me the information on how to go on about it.

Someone should make a website for DIY DDR/ITG/PIU Pad strictly. Post various builds there and discuss it.

Tell me about it. I'm looking all over for details to build my pad as well, and haven't been able to find anything yet.

I'm building 4 panel, but I'll definitely let you know if I come across dimensions for a 5 panel. You have AIM? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

6794. PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally didn't actually take measurements of an arcade machine for my pad. I took them from my softpad, and made it 82cm square. The panels in fact ended up slightly rectangular, but they work very well.

As for those after making a PIU pad, I did see a set of dimensions somewhere around but can't remember where.
But I'm sure if you have a local machine you can take some measurements from there.
mikieson
Trick Member
Trick Member

6795. PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM SICK and tired of using these EMS ps2 to PC adapters. Mine always have connection issues..One minute they work , next day they dont..SO I ordered a mini USB keypad "normally used with laptops" and im going to cut into that and have a direct USB connection...Just thought I would vent and let others know there are other options out there..
Paramount X
Trick Member
Trick Member

6796. PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need the dimensions for Dance Pad

Imagine that I just had the 9 panel area for the Dance Pad. No borders just panels

Anyways you know in the arcade at the bottom of the pad there is the handlebar support. What I want to know is

Which is the measurement from the bottom of the panel to the end of the handlebar border. - - -or matterfact tell me the meaurements..where the "?" are. ALSO how tall are the handlebars.

I'm trying to make a handle bar support - any one got a tutorial. i tried looking but the sites slowness makes it frustating.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Paramount X
Trick Member
Trick Member

6797. PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/contributor-article.php?postID=7818281

looks like that has the answer but im not too sure how to understand...
mikieson
Trick Member
Trick Member

6798. PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The squares are 11" so just looking at the back in relation to the squares looks about 7" or so?? Just my best guess.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 340 of 341

Jump to: