Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NapstrPSX
Basic Member
Basic Member

6720. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the input. I skimmed over the design and instructions for the arcade-style sensors and I'm sure whether or not I'll go for that. I also read that the use of tapeswitches can be expensive.

When my friend and I built our own pads, they were just the sensitivity I liked. I don't focus on trying to use minimal motion or register steps with my heel.

Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask about that I haven't seen any recent information on is where to get a good, easy controller to open up and solder on.

Maybe one of these?
Performance Game Pad

Interact controller

I haven't made up my mind 100% yet to build yet... but it sure would be cool. I was reminded yesterday I have a fairly big tax return coming in, so I could put that towards the cost and not really feel like I'm out of any money. E13.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

6721. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a genius usb gamepad would be just fine, and its cheap. but if you want really easy to solder spots, then try the pcbs that come with every regular soft pad.
View users profile Send private message
DRKREVOLT
Basic Member
Basic Member

6722. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I haven't gotten a reply about he Melamine baseboard yet so I guess Ill just have to do more research. I'm planning on building two pads Using riptides design. I remember being really interested in Stolli's Chrome pads but the link appears to be dead now. If anyone is interested here's my price list which as of today 4/1. Keep in mind that this is for two pads but It should give anyone looking into building one of these a good idea of what they are looking at in terms of price. All of these prices are from H0me D3pot.

Pad Materials
2x 23/32 4x4 Plywood 35.94
10x precut 12x12 22ga Sheet Metal 68.7
4x 2x4x8 11.88
1x 1/2" Weather Stripping 3.27
1x 50Ft Cat 5 Cable 23
2x Lexan .22 Thick Panels 110
16x 2" Corner Brackets 49.28
2x Ps2 Controller 10.29
1x (10x1/4) Box Sheet Metal Screws 4.97
1x (1 1/4") Box Drywall Screws 5.94
Total 323.27

This price list could probably be reduced if one bought a huge piece of sheet metal and cut the squares themselves. I live in an apartment and don't have a garage or many power tools at my disposal so my price list reflects parts that are primarily pre-cut (with the exception of the lexan). I'm going to have the HD cut everything to spec for me. This is a good starting point for anyone that is is a similar situation or would like to save themselves the hassle of doing most of the measuring and cutting themselves.
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

6723. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest buying mousepad instead of weather stripping foam.
DRKREVOLT
Basic Member
Basic Member

6724. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuma Gorath wrote:
I suggest buying mousepad instead of weather stripping foam.

Yea I was reading a few post about that, I'm probably going to. Has anyone used anything such as silicone rubber? It seems as if it would be great because you don't have to worry about it ever getting worn out. I was thinking of cutting strips from those silicone cooking cloves or something like that.
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

6725. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silicone rubber, like these strips?

in that case you would need to pile many strips so there is some space between each metal contact, I havent tried that but Im not sure how well is the "springness" of that rubber. I think mousepad is cheaper, with 2 rectangle mousepads you will have enough strips to make 16 sensors for one pad.
DRKREVOLT
Basic Member
Basic Member

6726. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking something more like this.

You can find these pretty cheap sometimes, might work.. I'm still a ways away from building my pad but once I'm at the wiring stage I guess It wouldn't hurt to experiment.
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

6727. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, experimenting is good. while building my first pad ive experimented using foam for my matrix sensors, totally failed. well it was because of the heavy arrow panels, though.
DRKREVOLT
Basic Member
Basic Member

6728. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pics of a disassembled cobalt flux pad? I'm definately leaning towards riptides design with matrix sensors, but the prospect of imitating a cobalt like Diet is interesting. riiight.gif
NapstrPSX
Basic Member
Basic Member

6729. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm surprising myself and am actually going through with building! biggrin.gif

I've got almost half of the supplies so far, so I'm pretty much committed. Spent almost $40 on amazon to have the elusive corner brackets shipped in. disturb.gif

But, one question I have is where in the heck can I get some decent arrow graphics? I've searched high and low and I can't find anything. Preferably I would like to have as high-quality and arcade-like as possible, but if that doesn't pan out I may spring for something custom.

Anybody got a link? Or, a PM here or something sent via email to napstrpsx@gmail.com would be awesome.
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

6730. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have them on my comp. Which ones do you want?

I have the ITG ones, and red/blue DDR ones (true arcade ones are more pink/blue, but changing the hue can fix it ;D)
I think I also have X O and a few others from ITG graphics.
Basic Member
Basic Member

6731. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not have had a chance to see the PM I sent you, but basically the only ones I'm really interested are the red/blue ddr ones. I'll do some color editing to make the red one pink if I can get them.

Hope to hear back, thank you!
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

6732. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent the rar with the ones...hopefully that helps you out.
I gave you X,O, blue/red/light blue/pink arrows too.

edit::here are the main pics, i have the ITG arrows also, but i dont want to upload them now.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7833/blue2final.png

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7519/pinkdxq.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1604/redfinal.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5223/bluefinal.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3821/47326857.gif

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5688/95567245.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

6733. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Getting closer Reply with quote

Well, I've been buying like a crazy man and I've almost got everything I need. I forgot that I need 8 pieces of lucite and not 4, and I need to get some peg board and adhesives. Got all the sheet metal in the trunk of my car!

I have a question about the flux I bought, though. Is plumbing flux a bad idea? That's what I just bought but according to this page it looks like it's not good. I'll have to track down something else, that's all the little place I went to this morning had.

Is this "rosin flux" stuff easy to find? I saw on the first page of this thread that it's supposed to be good. Do I just need to make sure it doesn't have any acid in it or anything? E19.gif
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

6734. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you said you are new to soldering, just find an old softpad and gut it.
It's the best way to do it, trust me.

Then, drill holes in the small contacts (they are huge, so its really easy)
Feed the wire through that, then solder it down. The flux isn't necessary, but it makes it easier (I don't use any)

I should have a pic somewhere, tell me if you don't get it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6735. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its more important the kind of solder you buy, Ive bought some solder at first that didnt stick at all to the pcb(the only thing that happened were little balls of solder that keep falling off the pcb), maybe because Ive bought it from a warehouse and then I went to buy another solder from an electronics store. I think its stain solder the one you need.
MegaBeatManMania
Trick Member
Trick Member

6736. PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok people a few weeks ago i said i was going to build a stealth pad and its finally finished witha few minor tweaks left.
lol its actually kinda funny, i was going to make a vid and show to my friends but something happened.....

the video is currently "processed" by youtube. STAY POSTED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!
any questions on the pad ill be sure to aswer if anyone has questions. peace out ill update soon..

UPDATE: finnaly processed check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRzEV6kEJY

pretty halarious
well kinda just watch
NapstrPSX
Basic Member
Basic Member

6737. PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you hate it when your moms gets in the way? XD

My pad is coming along good so far. The only thing I'm still doing any contemplation on is what I'm going to use for soldering. I did go and buy electrical soldering flux with a rosin core so I think that will be ideal.

Does anyone have any experience or good knowledge of what it's like working with an official ps1 controller? Is it recommended over an off-brand? I would think about using one if it's going to be more reliable in the long run, but I don't know how hard it is working with the coating over the contacts you need to solder to.

This is what I have on the way: Interact PS1 controller

Any thoughts?
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

6738. PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, so far Ive used a really cheap buttocks 3 bucks chinese controller and everything turned well ;D
NapstrPSX
Basic Member
Basic Member

6739. PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm on the home stretch. I thought I'd really be done tonight, but my lucite panels were too big to fit in the open spaces on the frame.

Which brings me to the point that I wanted to stress to anyone who may be answering questions from inexperienced people that want to build a pad-

some of ddrhomepad's original instructions... aren't too great. I mean, considering the age it's awesome, and it's enough that you can eventually get through. But, I have some beef with a couple of the measurements.

Both times I built a pad, the peg board pieces were too big and I had to sand them down. In this case, I actually had to resort to using a little hacksaw to cut slivers of 1/2 in. off each side for each panel.

And, the lucite panels were the same way. 10 3/4 in. is too big imo. The space itself is 11 inches MAX. but, when you include the bit of space the corner brackets, screws, and sheet metal on each side take up, you really can't fit 10 3/4 in. in if your frame is tight, which mine is. I'm just going to go back to Lowe's to have 8 pieces recut again which shouldn't cost more than $25-30. I tried trimming the ones I had and I ruined the first piece - maybe I was just too tired.

Also... for some reason the pieces of wood I bought for the railing said on the sign at Lowe's that it was 1"x2", but it's slightly less than that on both sides. So, when I screwed in 1 in. long nails through peg board it protrudes out just a tiny bit. Oh well... I can't remember if it was like that before but if anything my pad will be just a smidgen shorter than normal.

To make it simple, I would instruct people building the pad to not buy peg board or lucite until the time comes, and measure before going out. I guess the instructions do kind of say that, but he gives what his measurements were which you would assume should be practically identical. I just think it's more likely things will need to be smaller than ddrhomepad suggests. And, I recommend to others that you try not to buy everything at one time. You are bound to buy things you don't need or you'll probably get something that's not quite right. Measure everything.

Sorry to be long-winded, but this has all cost me time, money, and frustration. At least it will finally be done soon, this was a lot harder than I remember. I had someone helping me then and it sucks doing everything by yourself.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 337 of 341

Jump to: