Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somnambulist
Basic Member
Basic Member

2840. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broken image...

but most pushbuttons are simple. Think of it like the wire is going to complete the circuit, always closed, then put the pushbutton in the middle of it.

aka, simply put the ground on one end and the button's wire on the other.
View users profile Send private message
moonmen0
Trick Member
Trick Member

2841. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one side is the ground the other side is whatever you wanted the button for. That should be about it, i dont think that it matters which wire is soldered to which but you could test it to see.
ch
Trick Member
Trick Member

2842. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, a lot of people have been saying that using glue or epoxy to put the sheet metal contacts on the lexan allows them to slide around a whole lot. what if you just roughed up the surface a little bit with steel wool or sandpaper before you epoxied it? that would give it something to stick to a little better. just a thought.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2843. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmen0 wrote:
one side is the ground the other side is whatever you wanted the button for. That should be about it, i dont think that it matters which wire is soldered to which but you could test it to see.

I tought that was how u do it. Thx.
BretzelPretzel
Basic Member
Basic Member

2844. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any sort of disadvantage to making use of an oversized pushbutton or something for the creation of the panels as opposed to sheet metal and such?
dbdrummer
Basic Member
Basic Member

2845. PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BretzelPretzel wrote:
Is there any sort of disadvantage to making use of an oversized pushbutton or something for the creation of the panels as opposed to sheet metal and such?

yep... one BIG disadvantage... those push buttons eventually break under the extreme stress and pressure because it uses all this new "high tech" crap... when it come to what you need to do with this pad, staying simple it the best way to go... it works the best, and its a whole lot simpler to fix/replace
ch
Trick Member
Trick Member

2846. PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can find a foot square pushbutton that can withstand 300lb people stomping on it repetatively, it would probably cost as much as a whole metal pad.
Basic Member
Basic Member

2847. PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartoonhero_604 wrote:
if you can find a foot square pushbutton that can withstand 300lb people stomping on it repetatively, it would probably cost as much as a whole metal pad.

How about just using 5 doorbells? 1 middle, one in each corner, and addsomething else so that at the point where the buttons trigger another object will take the weight so it can't be deperessed any farther (ex: would be to sink the buttons in so they can only be pushed to a certain extent). Though they would eventually break, and it'd be more expensive than sheetmetal it might work well, and probably last longer. I haven't tried it and I wont since sheet metal is just fine for me.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
tolookah
Trick Member
Trick Member

2848. PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they will shatter... taken from experience *managed to shatter a large number of buttons on a test arrow ^^
DDRPad Soldering and electrical Help: http://www.tolookah.net/DDR/ As hooded_paladin put it: "Currently, help for Beatpad Pro, official Sony Playstation Controller and ANY controller unless you are extremely stupid or lazy."
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
BretzelPretzel
Basic Member
Basic Member

2849. PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any big disadvantage to using multiple layers of aluminum foil for the contacts? (Sorry for all the similar questions, I'm trying to find ways I can cut down on the price of building my own pad)
Caltrops
Basic Member
Basic Member

2850. PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you get any horizontal motion occuring, the foil could tear. I'm pretty sure this isn't the cost short cut you want to take. Where I'm from, Galvinized is pretty cheap anyway. If you play frequently, go all out. I'm rather annoyed with myself that I didn't.

http://my.execpc.com/~fjoachim/images/ddr/pad.jpg
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
pehN
Basic Member
Basic Member

2851. PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know sites with custom arrow graphix? Or does anybody have some custom made ones on his harddrive? If there posted some in the past: sry but I can't read the whole Thread. I just have a Dial-In Connection.
HitokiriX
Trick Member
Trick Member

2852. PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BretzelPretzel wrote:
Any big disadvantage to using multiple layers of aluminum foil for the contacts? (Sorry for all the similar questions, I'm trying to find ways I can cut down on the price of building my own pad)

i think the designs created have already been grinded down to the cheapest they can be. You could probably make a hybrid form of all of em which would save you a few bucks but in the end it's only a saving of about 10 dollars or so. besides if you try for cheaper supplies then you might shorten the pad's life by using materials with worse quality. in the end if you make your pad right it should have quality to match the CF and be a little less than half the price of one.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
jbean3535
Trick Member
Trick Member

2853. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to solder but how to I wire it. Please PM with soem help...THANKS A TON!
Trick Member
Trick Member

2854. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbean3535 wrote:
I know how to solder but how to I wire it. Please PM with soem help...THANKS A TON!

Please be more specific. We can't help if we don't know what you're talking about.

Rufus3.com - Videos by Rufus Cubed - Disconnected, Caffeinated, Inane!
Ter's DDR Pages - TerTerBox, Metal Pad Mod, and more...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriX
Trick Member
Trick Member

2855. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbean3535 wrote:

um....it'd help if you gave us which design u'r using but i think the general idea is that you have 2 wires coming from each arrow panel and some pushbuttons. one is the ground and the other is the actual signal wire. all the ground wires can be soldered together and also to a spare piece of wire which is soldered to a ground contact on the control board. then just solder the signal wires to their corresponding contacts on the control board. the directional arrow panel wires go to the D-pad contacts and the pushbuttons go to their corresponding contacts (you get to choose which pushbuttons work for which button so it's your choice on which pushbutton wires go to which contacts).

i can't really explain it much better than i already have here but somebody else could probably do it better. heh....hope it helps anyway
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Happyfeet
Basic Member
Basic Member

2856. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got my pad put together! a couple of things though...

the pad doesn't sit totally flat...we haven't screwed on the bottom board yet (ddrhomepad's design) because we wanted to make sure everything worked correctly before we did, but we did set it on top of the board so we weren't setting it directly on the carpet. we're not sure if putting on the bottom board will solve that or if the pad is supposed to have a slight give to it.

another thing...i've heard everybody talk about great sensitivity, but it seems like I have to step directly in the center of the arrowhead for it to register a "perfect". I've only played the arcade game once (then I ran out and bought it because I was hooked!), so I'm not sure if I need to be a better dancer or have better contacts!

that's pretty much it. right now I'm playing the controller because we haven't wired it to have the other buttons, but it works on both Xbox and PS2 (beatpad pro control box)!
Ravenwing
Trick Member
Trick Member

2857. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happyfeet wrote:
another thing...i've heard everybody talk about great sensitivity, but it seems like I have to step directly in the center of the arrowhead for it to register a "perfect".

This is just because you need time to break in the weather stripping or whatever you used to support the arrows off of the sensors. Also, did you remember to cut those 1/2" gaps into the stripping? That also allows for greater sensitivity.
mtwieg
Trick Member
Trick Member

2858. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this didnt get any feedback as a normal thread so ill try it here.
does anyone know a solid way to mount a trick bar to a riptide style home pad?
Trick Member
Trick Member

2859. PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put this in a few weeks ago, its a crude drawing i made for an idea i had.

the little base thing looks like this.
or something. if you want it hidden, thats your problem.

im not exactly sure what to make the flashing/backsplash/thingtokeepitfromfallingover item out of, but ddrgame.com has "handlebar supports" that look like they would do fine. or you could get the real thing from channelbeat.com (or steal one). they also have the cushion that you may want. you have to buy two though.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 143 of 341

Jump to: