Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-PhOeNiX-
Basic Member
Basic Member

20. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: DDR metal pads... Reply with quote

SO how good are these home pads.... are they even close to being on par with a real Arcade pad? If so where can I find the best site to get information on making a home made metal pad.... thanks a lot guys E4.gif
Shadow_Dragonz
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DDR metal pads... Reply with quote

-PhOeNiX- wrote:
SO how good are these home pads.... are they even close to being on par with a real Arcade pad? If so where can I find the best site to get information on making a home made metal pad.... thanks a lot guys E4.gif

There are 4 different pads that I know of: DDRhomepad's, Riptide's, Patster's, and BlueBeefman's. I don't know the link for BlueBeefman's design. Anyway, they are all different in their style, and they do par up to the arcade ones. If you want to, you can mod them to have lights like the arcade, and if you feel like it too, you can even add a trick bar E13.gif .
Some of the designs almost replicate the measurements of the arcade...add the lights and the bar, and you've got your own home arcade!

Another thing is that if they break down or anything, since you've built it, you'll know how to repair it. I think DDRhomepad mentioned that he had his for over a year and it's still going strong!

DDRhomepad's: http://www.angelfire.com/d20/ddrhomepad/
If site is down, then: http://www.digitaltorque.com/dancepad/
Riptide's: http://www.digitaltorque.com/mydancepad/
Patster's: http://home.attbi.com/~patster/home.html

Just check those out and see which one you'd like to build. If there are any questions that come up, then just post'em here and someone will help out. Hope this helps. E1.gif

Last edited by Shadow_Dragonz on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Shadow_Dragonz
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a good hour, I finished soldering my controller. It took me about 20 time to solder down one of the points! But other than that, it went smoothly. However, I did put a nice little hole in my finger when I drilled the hole in the controller. I'll have to be more carefull. I plan to have it done this weekend, hopefully.

-Riptide-
What size sheet metal goes under the plexiglass? Thanks.
Sleepydrakos
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: I am almost finished with my pad... Reply with quote

I figured out my problem....need to ck the wiring for up and down. Left and Right work perfectly. I am sure I just need to secure the connections to the pad and wammo.

Pheonixs you can find the plan on this thread. Angelfire.com, I think this is the site. Just look at the first response and he has everything. The metal pad is not the same as the arcade but fairly close..

I did not think I could build this pad...but I really wanted to and I was determined. I had no help and worked endlessly for a little over a week..The concept of the pad is very simple and the directions for the pad are rather genious.

Good Luck,

David
View users profile Send private message Send email
Sleepydrakos
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Shadow Dragon and the drillin Reply with quote

That is funny ... the same thing happened to me. We both have a 1/16 hole in the finger. Did you feel the thing rotate. Damn! I spilled some blood for this project.

David

PS Helping Hands (Found at Radio Shack for 10 makes soldering the board rather simple)
Plautus
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. My wife is an avid CSI fan, and there was a "Battlebots" themed murder last night, and at one point they found the victim's blood (the victim had built a few bots) on several of the internal bot parts, indicating to them that he was killed using one of the bots, I was thinking: forensic scientists could probably find enough to link me to my home-built pads if they took one apart! All self-inflicted damage, of course E1.gif
Sleepydrakos
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: I have all arrows working, but... Reply with quote

Sweat beads off my forehead as I write another couple of questions.

1. I misunderstood how far the weatherstripping should be apart from one another. I think it said something like 2" or 1/2". I read it as 2.5 ".

2. All arrows work, but they are not very sensitive and need to be pressed in a specific location. How can I make this more sensitve?

Thank You For all your help,
E1.gif
David[/img][/url]
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so special that people are putting me up there With Riptide, DDRhomepad, and patster...

But my pad is Basically a Riptide pad with a different contact design for the arrows...so its not like I have my own design.

anyway yeah, all the people that have played on my pad have said they can feel no difference between my pad and the arcades pad...

and if you want to see pics of mine...click on the links in my sig...if that doesnt fulfill your heathen lust, Instant Message me...I got plenty...ever some of my dog on my pad...
Trying_to_make_home_pad
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: ya i never understood.. Reply with quote

Guys, im planning on maoing one myself but i have one question... how do u get the arrows... are they printed on paper or are they tiles... Thx!
You'll always be my fear
I can't seperate myself from
what i've done I've given up a part of me
Linkin Park-Figure.09 Meteora
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
mactek
Basic Member
Basic Member

29. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guys, im planning on maoing one myself but i have one question... how do u get the arrows... are they printed on paper or are they tiles... Thx!

You print them. They designs are linked at the beginning of this thread. They are ~ 10 3/4 x 10 3/4, so unless you have a wide carriage printer, you will need to have them printed at a print shop.

mactek
View users profile Send private message
Trying_to_make_home_pad
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Can some1 tell me what lucite it... im sry im not to bright in this area(ill have my dads help)
You'll always be my fear
I can't seperate myself from
what i've done I've given up a part of me
Linkin Park-Figure.09 Meteora
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Sain
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

Trying_to_make_home_pad wrote:
Can some1 tell me what lucite it... im sry im not to bright in this area(ill have my dads help)

Its a brand of plexiglass E4.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue beefmans pad ruleeeeezzzzzzz!!!!!!!

im making good progress, now, i got ALL the materials except a controller and 1/4 inch silicone tubing (yes, i AM making it EXACTLY like his godly pad)

http://www27.brinkster.com/knicks08/Image39.jpg

http://www27.brinkster.com/knicks08/Image45.jpg
MrBlank
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Has the shorting out problem been fixed? Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been away for a looong time, so I haven't read the other threads. I am still wondering if anyone has figured out why the DDR hompad sometimes shorts out? My pad would always short out the controller and make one of the arrows stick on. I don't think I was the only one with the problem. Hopefully, I can bring my pad back to life!

Thanks.
cool
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Has the shorting out problem been fixed? Reply with quote

MrBlank wrote:
Sorry, I've been away for a looong time, so I haven't read the other threads. I am still wondering if anyone has figured out why the DDR hompad sometimes shorts out? My pad would always short out the controller and make one of the arrows stick on. I don't think I was the only one with the problem. Hopefully, I can bring my pad back to life!

Thanks.

Hey! You've been gone for a while, I remember you from the other thread. Anyway, we haven't made much progress as far as shorting out controllers are concerned. There are two new things people have tried though, with limited success.

1) Use an official Sony controller. I know DDRhomepad strongly recommends against this, but several people have used it and claimed it solved their controller problem.

2) Ground the pad by attaching a wire from any screw on your pad and hooking the other end to the screw on a wall socket.

However, neither has proven 100% successful as people have came back reporting their pads still shorting out. Give it a try though, maybe it'll work for you. You may also want to get someone else to solder your controller, maybe you are doing something wrong. Hope this helps. E1.gif
KrakenGuy
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah, I am trying to figure out how i can combine riptide pad and ddr home pad pad... damn, this is brain bozzling... I might copy _ter... but thats if I can get instructions from him...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
riptide
Trick Member
Trick Member

36. PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow_Dragonz wrote:
-Riptide-
What size sheet metal goes under the plexiglass? Thanks.

Sorry, I missed the post for so long... been tied up in other projects....
writing a cheat for a game(just for a challenge... I don't really cheat too much)
designing a game
adding lights to my pad
modding my car(just got a 2003 1.8 Turbo Jetta)

The sheet metal is the same as what's used on ddrhomepads as far as thickness
the width and length are 6" by 1.5". I just made it that size cause you can evenly cut 16 of them out of a 12"x12" sheet. You can actually make them smaller if you can get them to cover the screws. I'm thinking of doing something similar to what Bluebeefman is doing for the contacts cause it just isn't very easy to get all those wires connected to all those screws. I was gonna use ring connectors on my new pad, but the Radio Shack here doesn't sell that many of them... only four or so per pack.... I'd need quite a few packs.

So this means I'll have to update my pad design... means updating my videos... means everyone's gonna have to download a new copy frown.gif

But it's not going very quickly, so that may take some time for me to get done.
I just got too many projects to work on at once.

------------------------------------------
My pad design: http://www.wubros.com/ddrpad/
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
scriv
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: ring connectors Reply with quote

I found some ring connectors i could use, since im using riptides design when i put these ring connectors in do they have to be flush with the wood and if so how is this going to affect the sensitivity of it?
cool
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the beefman have any instructions up for his arrow contact design?
asdfqweruiop
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: shoes Reply with quote

hooray! my pad is finished Riptide you are my hero! anyways quick question, as far as Riptide's design goes is it safe to play with shoes? im pretty used to using shoes so i would like to use them at home but i dont want to break my brand new pad riiight.gif !
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 2 of 341

Jump to: