Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weston
Trick Member
Trick Member

180. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wal-Mart sells a rug tape that is foam on one side, and sticky on the other. That might work. It's about $6.50. (I work in that department)
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

181. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom of the pad? Reply with quote

crookboo wrote:
I made a homepad a while ago (my own design - different from the other four going around) and it works fine, but...

What do you put on the bottom of the pad if you're playing on hardwood floors? Using nothing'll scratch up the floor, and I tried linoleum tile but it slips too much. Any idea?

try little rubber feet, or cover the bottom with thosw little circles that are sticky on one side and like velvet on the other
-joe-
Trick Member
Trick Member

182. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom of the pad? Reply with quote

crookboo wrote:
I made a homepad a while ago (my own design - different from the other four going around) and it works fine, but...

What do you put on the bottom of the pad if you're playing on hardwood floors? Using nothing'll scratch up the floor, and I tried linoleum tile but it slips too much. Any idea?

anti slip mats
Sephiroth
Trick Member
Trick Member

183. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to know where the soldering points are for the official sony psx controller. if anybody can give me a link or picture it would be helpful.
Linkshell: CDP
Rank 5
Playtime: 100 days
Currently: lvl spur / CoP missions
View users profile Send private message
Shadow_Dragonz
Trick Member
Trick Member

184. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
i need to know where the soldering points are for the official sony psx controller. if anybody can give me a link or picture it would be helpful.

I know there are copper contacts throughout the controller. Well, I didn't take the time to really figure out which one went to what or ground. I really should've but didn't. But I did go with the contacts under the black coating. All you have to do is scrap off the black stuff they put on, and under it is a copper contact. The distance is workable, so all you have to do then is scratch them a little (so the solder will stick to them).

If I have time and can pry my sister's camera from her, then I'll get information about soldering to an offical psx controller.

Hope that helps. If that doesn't, then I'm sure someone else knows where they are.

My home built metal pad FAQ can be found at http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6930450&highlight=#6930450
Some lurk in the day, others by night, but he creeps in the shadows.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Sephiroth
Trick Member
Trick Member

185. PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some trail and error and fiqured it out. the ones with the cooper going toward the center were the grounds and the others were the directions that it was labeled.
Linkshell: CDP
Rank 5
Playtime: 100 days
Currently: lvl spur / CoP missions
NinJiTSu OLOL!O!1!1
Trick Member
Trick Member

186. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe home built is better than CG....... broke in 6 days
Trick Member
Trick Member

187. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Beefman wrote:

ahaha lights

llllights !? That's wicked! I've been waiting to build my own pad until someone figured out lights... Think you could post how you did that my beefy friend ? disturb.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

188. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah Ill get it up after I perfect it
Zep
Trick Member
Trick Member

189. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my pad with wood laugh.gif biggrin.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

190. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you got any pics of it?
Fum4nchuu
Trick Member
Trick Member

191. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ladies and gents, im back. As soon as i finished construction on my riptide style pad, my life got crazy. Im happy to report (as im sure you're all comforted to hear, life is back to normal. Now its time to finally tweak my pad. Im gonna list of my problems first and then attack what i plan to do

1) I've noticed that all of a sudden, for no reason, at completely random times, my pad stops responding.... sometime only 3 seconds (long enough to slaughter my combo), but sometime for almost 20.

2) 2-3 times, during the middle of random songs, the game restarts? (I heard this had to do with holding down the start button, but im not sure - possible connection to problem #1?

3) My bottom piece of plywood is seriously warped. POS home deopt sold be some limp wood E10.gif I have my lawn mower, a few weights, and some toolboxes sittin on each corner of the pad 2nite trying to flatten it out... Anyone have any better ideas?

4) My sheet metal isn't shiny frown.gif Its all gross from my shoes and such... is there any way that i can put a protective coating on that metal/ clean off the old gunk effectively?

5) One more i forgot. My up error... sometime triggers like 30 times REALLY REALLY FAST. Not really an issue but on really fast songs sometimes it can throw off a step. I figure thats just lowering and rasing the screws, but if anyone has any other ideas, ill look into that after i adjust screwage.

well those are about all i have to complain about.... if anyone is man enough to hack up my questions and spit out some answers... i would very greatful E1.gif Thanks guys drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif
riptide
Trick Member
Trick Member

192. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd like to say to Shadow_Dragonz that his FAQ rocks, and if you don't mind, I'd like to link to it from the front page of my building instructions.

Fum4nchuu wrote:
Ok ladies and gents, im back. As soon as i finished construction on my riptide style pad, my life got crazy. Im happy to report (as im sure you're all comforted to hear, life is back to normal. Now its time to finally tweak my pad. Im gonna list of my problems first and then attack what i plan to do

1) I've noticed that all of a sudden, for no reason, at completely random times, my pad stops responding.... sometime only 3 seconds (long enough to slaughter my combo), but sometime for almost 20.

2) 2-3 times, during the middle of random songs, the game restarts? (I heard this had to do with holding down the start button, but im not sure - possible connection to problem #1?

3) My bottom piece of plywood is seriously warped. POS home deopt sold be some limp wood E10.gif I have my lawn mower, a few weights, and some toolboxes sittin on each corner of the pad 2nite trying to flatten it out... Anyone have any better ideas?

4) My sheet metal isn't shiny frown.gif Its all gross from my shoes and such... is there any way that i can put a protective coating on that metal/ clean off the old gunk effectively?

5) One more i forgot. My up error... sometime triggers like 30 times REALLY REALLY FAST. Not really an issue but on really fast songs sometimes it can throw off a step. I figure thats just lowering and rasing the screws, but if anyone has any other ideas, ill look into that after i adjust screwage.

well those are about all i have to complain about.... if anyone is man enough to hack up my questions and spit out some answers... i would very greatful E1.gif Thanks guys drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif

1) hmm... sounds like a loose wire somewhere. I've redone my pad using a design more like BlueBeefman's, but a little different. I've gotten awesome results, and I'll be modifying my design soon -- props to BlueBeefman!

2) game restarts probably have to do with that start button and/or select button somehow getting their wires crossed/shorting out. I've seen this before... had to open up the pad and clean up/reorganize the wiring... make sure to cover open wire with electrical tape.

3) Yea, the bottom piece of plywood needs to be straight. You have two options. You could try and straighten it or you could buy a straight piece. If you try to straighten it, wet it down a little bit and warm it up a little. Then clamp it down to something straight and let it dry that way. Don't get it too wet or it'll expand. This might not get it straight enough. I'd suggest trying this first and if it doesn't work, get a new piece.

4) Keeping the sheet metal shiny is really an on-going thing... it's like detailing a car... you'll have to do it again when it gets dirty. You might try cleaning it just like you would detail a car with wax and all.... haven't tried it, but those chemicals are designed to make cars shine. If it works, lemme know E13.gif

5) Yea, it has to do with adjusting the screws. When I modified my wiring design to be more like BlueBeefman's, this never happened to me at all. I'll be modifying my design soon to show the changes I made. I just need to take some pics of it... then I'll have to record myself building another pad to update the videos.

I hope this helps. If you want more info on the changes I made to the wiring, send me an email and I'll write it up for you... you just woun't have pics until I get time to take some.

------------------------------------------
My pad design: http://www.wubros.com/ddrpad/
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
-joe-
Trick Member
Trick Member

193. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to keep metal clean and mirrory?

easy

aluminum/metal polish. You can get it at car stores

just put a little bit on the metal (after the metal is cleaned with water) and wipe it down with a towel, it will turn black, then just wipe the black off with a clean part of the towel
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

194. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for the metal shinyness...wow...but anyway I saw in the arcade that theirs isnt all that shiny so what I did is I got a piece of Scotch-Brite and went in little circles on all the pieces to dull them down, then I took Pledge too them too make them not so sticky and cleaned it all off with Windex to make it clean and take off some slippery-ness and it works great...I have a picture of it somewhere...

the dull stuff is my pad, shiny is the new one
Weston
Trick Member
Trick Member

195. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the perfect metal panel

1) Cut out your 10 7/8 inch square wood panels made from plywood or whatever material you are using. If you are using a jigsaw, I suggest slightly larger dimensions so you have room to sand it down to 10 7/8 inches. If the edges of the wood panels are not completely straight and smooth, sand them down to the proper size so that they are. This is an important step if you wand a smooth straight edge on the metal panel when it is finished.

2) Get your sheet metal cut into 12 inch squares. Clean any grease and dirt off one side of the metal (this will be the side you will glue). Scrub the metal thoroughly with steel wool so you have a somewhat rough surface. This will help the glue stick. Also sand down the side of the wood panel that will be attached to the metal.

3) Get a strong glue. You will want to use a glue that has all of the following properties:

~ More of a liquid/syrup than a rubber paste so it spreads easitly
~ Not a flexible bond, you need a hard bond
~ Super strong bond
~ Bonds metal and wood

The glue I used that works perfectly is Elmer's Ultimate Glue. The smallest bottle will probably cover your project.

4) First read the instructions on the glue bottle so you know how to apply it properly. Now apply glue to both the rough sides of the metal and wood. You should use enough to cover the entire wood surface after it spreads, too much glue will make the panel slide around too much as it's drying, so don't go overboard. Spread the glue with a wet paper towel or rag, so that you have an even coat that completely covers the wood. Be sure to get glue on the corners of the wood, as this area is vital.

5) Set down the panel, metal side first, and either clamp or weight it down with lots of pressure. If you clamp it, make sure that the entire panel has equal pressure throughout. Check on the panel a few times as it is drying to make sure that the wood isn't sliding off the metal. If you see excess glue spilling from the sides, you don't need to worry too much, because it will be scraped off later. Let the panels sit for at least 24 hours.

6) Now that your panels are dry, scrape off the excess glue that spilled out by using a chisel or similar tool. Use the chisel (or something else sharp and pointed) and start scraping a line where the metal meets the wood on the underside of the panel. This will make the metal easier to bend, give a straighter edge, and allow it to fold over further. Don't scrape too much, or you may break the metal as you bend it, just a few scrapes should do it.

7) Cut out small squares in the corners of the metal so you can bend it around the wood. Using a rubber mallet, gently bend the metal starting at the corners and working your way towards the middle of each side until the metal is wrapped around the wood.

8) Depending on the design of the pad, you may want to attach the angle brackets to the panels at this time. Now you're ready to attach the panels to the pad. As you do so, do not put in the screws too far, or they may bend your panel. Just tighten the screws until they touch the surface.

Last edited by Weston on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:31 pm, edited 4 times in total
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

196. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I ought to try that...but with your arrow problem, I had that too with right and up...If I hit right, then up and right registered...so all I did was add some more silicone tubing and it works fine now...but I dont know what you would do...maybe more weatherstripping?
Shadow_Dragonz
Trick Member
Trick Member

197. PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riptide wrote:
First, I'd like to say to Shadow_Dragonz that his FAQ rocks, and if you don't mind, I'd like to link to it from the front page of my building instructions.

Yes, you can put a link to it on your front page, and thanks. I still have quite a ways to go before I can say it's finished.

Should I add "making the perfect panel" to the FAQ for an idea or something of the like?
Oh, about that. Great idea. I'll try that on my next pad. Thanks E13.gif

My home built metal pad FAQ can be found at http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6930450&highlight=#6930450
Some lurk in the day, others by night, but he creeps in the shadows.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Zep
Trick Member
Trick Member

198. PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Beefman wrote:
so you got any pics of it?

I just took the plastic pads u know the poopy ones and then i put partical bord under then and velcroed(sp) then together

Works good laugh.gif

Trick Member
Trick Member

199. PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow_Dragonz wrote:
Should I add "making the perfect panel" to the FAQ for an idea or something of the like?

You sure could if you'd like to. I would just like to get more feedback from other people who went through this process, just to make sure everyone understands it clearly. On the other hand, if that guide just stays at this board, it'll be lost in a pile of messages, so feel free to put it in your FAQ or elsewhere. I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

And another thing. I have a light up Patser-style pad, but the arrow panels are fitted just like the arcade (screws in the brackets go around the plastic, not through it -- similar to how riptide fits his arrow panels). I thought this would stop the squeeking, but it hasn't. It appears that the squeeking comes from the plastic rubbing against the screws. I was thinking about surrounding the edges of the plastic with felt or another soft material. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Last edited by Weston on Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 10 of 341

Jump to: