Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZotTower
Trick Member
Trick Member

140. PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with blue beefman about not using those $5 dollar controllers. I had about 5 or 6 of those fry on me, meanwhile both the non-analog playstation controllers I used worked fine and didn't fry out. You can buy used non-analog ps controllers for only 7 bucks at electronics boutique so why not spend 2 measly dollars to save yourself from the risk of frying a controller? blink.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

141. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree. I'm pretty sure the official sony controllers would do a better job but there is one problem: where can I find the solder "plan" for this controller? I really don't know the solder points on this one...

And do you know if this controller will work for the PS2 and the freeze arrows in DDRMAX & MAX2 ?
View users profile Send private message
Xeon Transponder
Trick Member
Trick Member

142. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORD OF THE DANCE wrote:
1. Yeah I agree. I'm pretty sure the official sony controllers would do a better job but there is one problem: where can I find the solder "plan" for this controller? I really don't know the solder points on this one...

2.And do you know if this controller will work for the PS2 and the freeze arrows in DDRMAX & MAX2 ?

1. in part 3 of this thread, it was posted around pg 80 i think. ill try to find it and post it again...

2. yes, it works just fine.

JOE wrote:
I was thinking, instead of screwing the screws into the 2 holes on the top of the bracket, why not just drill a hole in the middle of the bracket. That way you can have a much bigger lip on ..........

hmmmm..... it would proboble work, but it wouldnt be as sturdy and it would look weird since there would just be two open holes in the braces.... But I see no reason why it wouldnt work...
Trick Member
Trick Member

143. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Video hosting Reply with quote

Im friend is hosting the Videos

URL of the _root

http://ticpu.hopto.org/andre/riptide/

chapter 1 to 5
(3 is reuploaded because of a conection lost while sending)
http://ticpu.hopto.org/andre/riptide/chapter1.avi
http://ticpu.hopto.org/andre/riptide/chapter2.avi
http://ticpu.hopto.org/andre/riptide/chapter3.avi
http://ticpu.hopto.org/andre/riptide/chapter4.avi
http://ticpu.hopto.org/andre/riptide/chapter5.avi

this should work so.. new mirror for you E10.gif

I saw that 5 is not in the dir but ill arrange this right now

bye
The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

144. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beerchug.gif Yea! I finally finished my pad.. well almost i still have to solder on the controller but otherwise im finished................ laugh.gif

I can do whatever I want to be.
The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

145. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: d'oh Reply with quote

does anyone have a picture of a sony controller soldering points? E19.gif

I can do whatever I want to be.
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

146. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh...well I got my first pad related injusry yesterday...I was moving the pad and I pulled my hand away and my thumb got caught under the corner of the sheet metal...

Andreq
Trick Member
Trick Member

147. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Leeching !! Reply with quote

PLZ !!! do not leech on my mirror of videos !!!

1 chapter at time plz E10.gif

my friend want to put a 1h block for leeching .... hehe
Robmcbob
Trick Member
Trick Member

148. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont spose anyone can show the solder points for a official ps2 controller? I got one with broken buttons E1.gif

It should be better than a 3rd party controller E19.gif
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

149. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmcbob wrote:
Dont spose anyone can show the solder points for a official ps2 controller? I got one with broken buttons E1.gif

It should be better than a 3rd party controller E19.gif

have you taken apart your controller yet? cause I have it theres no circuit board, just a chip and this werid paper stuff...cant solder to it

EDIT: well I just got a confirmation of another person whos gonna buy a pad...so Ill make this one even more awesome...and LIGHTS ahaha
Robmcbob
Trick Member
Trick Member

150. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've opened it up at the side and it looks like there is a board in mine. Gonna bust it fully open when i find a decent tool E1.gif
Blue Beefman
Trick Member
Trick Member

151. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmcbob wrote:
I've opened it up at the side and it looks like there is a board in mine. Gonna bust it fully open when i find a decent tool E1.gif

why dont you just unscrew it?
Rupert T. Jones
Trick Member
Trick Member

152. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Do the screws in Patster's design need periodic adjusting? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about building a pad along the lines of Patsters design... my brother, who owns all kinds of crazy tools and knows how to build things will be helping me.

So anyway, he has this idea of building it 'top down' instead of 'bottom up' so that no screws are showing on the dance surface. Sounds good to me, except this would make it difficult to get to the sensor screws if you need to adjust them. You'd practicly have to take the whole thing apart to get to them. Can anyone who has built a Patster type pad tell me if those screws ever need to be adjusted, how often?

Thanks.
trolli
Basic Member
Basic Member

153. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: building questions Reply with quote

I asked these questions on riptides forums, but I don't think they are viewed very often so I thought I would ask them here too.

building questions

I've been reading up on the different home built pads and wanted to build my own. I have a few questions though.

I understand everything except for the plexiglass. ddrhomepad says .093 lucite, and you say .22 plexiglass. Both materials are in the same family, but lucite is a stronger material I believe. Is there an advantage to one over the other? and if I were to use lucite would I not need as thick of material because of the strength difference? or is the thickness because of the thickness ofthe plywood used on the 5 non button sections?

Secondly what is the reason for 2 sections of plexiglass per button? Just so that you can sandwich the image for the arror, or in your case the cool mahjong winds, between the two?

I'm looking at taking some of the parts from a previously purchased hard pad that broke. So I was going to use the arrow buttons which are a single 1/8" thickness plexiglass with the arrow painted on.

I'm just looking at saving some cost and wasn't sure if a single sheet of plexiglass that thick would be strong enough for a pad of this kind.

Another question is, I've been trying to download the movie files for a couple days now without much luck. they either download at about 1k/sec or not at all. I know there are three mirrors now, and none seem to work all that well. I know this has been said by a lot of other people, but are there any other places to find these movies?

Last question I just thought of. I'm looking at what to use for the controller part. and I have decided that I'm going to use a wireless controller that I have. I'll just mount the battery pack piece under the side of the board, and cut out a hole in the front of the board for the IR. Anyone know of any drawbacks to this? Other then the fact that I will also have to add 2 switches. One switch to turn it on and off. The other to specify player 1 or player 2, since my wireless remotes are a pair. Maybe once I open the thing up i'll see how to "hardwire" the pad to a specific player port, but It might be nice to be able to specify it.

Thanks for the great design and any information you can give me.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Andreq
Trick Member
Trick Member

154. PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: building questions Reply with quote

Quote:

Last question I just thought of. I'm looking at what to use for the controller part. and I have decided that I'm going to use a wireless controller that I have. I'll just mount the battery pack piece under the side of the board, and cut out a hole in the front of the board for the IR. Anyone know of any drawbacks to this? Other then the fact that I will also have to add 2 switches. One switch to turn it on and off. The other to specify player 1 or player 2, since my wireless remotes are a pair. Maybe once I open the thing up i'll see how to "hardwire" the pad to a specific player port, but It might be nice to be able to specify it.

Try to open your controler and send me a pic ill try to find the solder point (Im not a electronic freak but..... im always repairing all stupid stuff and I did some electronic plug for my pc.. etc.... its so easy to understand a PSX joystick lol E10.gif)
Xeon Transponder
Trick Member
Trick Member

155. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont understand why people dont just buy the gamestop controller and solder to that.
1. its simple, the solder points are visible and big
2. its cheap (6 bucks!)
3. mine has lasted for six months, no missteps, no problems except for the wires inside the cat-5 cable breaking but that has nothing to do with the controller.
4. other controllers are confusing and have a bunch of other junk everywhere which be moved and heald while soldering (a big pain in the buttocks)
Basic Member
Basic Member

156. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: differences in controllers Reply with quote

I'm not saying I'm having problems with the wireless controller. I haven't even started building yet. I was just asking if anyone has tried it, and if anyone saw any downside to making the pads wireless. I thought it would be nice to not have the wire running from the pad to the playstation.

I haven't looked inside the wireless controller to look at the solder points. More then likely when i open it up and look you will be right and it will not be worth it. But I thought I would ask here before I started building.

Now on my other question, about the plexiglass, anyone have any answers? Or if it has been asked before and I missed it can someone point me to where in the message board it was answered?

Thanks
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
riptide
Trick Member
Trick Member

157. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trolli, sorry I haven't been looking at my forum as often as I should, I've been kinda busy with other projects. I need to set up my forum to email me a listing of new posts... anyway, here's a copy of how I responded to you on my forum:

I did say plexiglass a lot when putting together the instructions for my pad, but basically any acrylic will work. This includes plexiglass, duraplex, lucite, etc. The thickness has to do with getting the right height for the plywood.

The reason I use two sheets of acrylic is to be able to layer the graphic between the pieces in case you print them on paper. It also gives the right height for the arrow panels.

I don't know what material that hard pad you had before is made of, but I haven't heard of anyone using the materials from one in any home built ddr pad, so I can't tell you if it'd work.

I'm sorry about the videos being slow/dead links, I am running the web server from my cable modem and I don't have the bandwidth to host them. Others are hosting them for me out of good will, but when conditions for them change, they sometimes have to limit bandwidth or take them down completely. Unless a well established site decides to host them for me, it will remain this way.

I haven't heard of anyone using a wireless controller in the building process. If you go forward with this, please tell me how it works out.

------------------------------------------
My pad design: http://www.wubros.com/ddrpad/
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
trolli
Basic Member
Basic Member

158. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually going to head to lowes early next week to start buying the supplies. I will probably just have them cut everything to the right sizes, as they have the easy tools there to do it. granted I will have to possibly do the little trimming here and there, but for the most part everything should fit.

I'll just go ahead and get the acrylic from lowes or a sign shop I deal for other things instead of trying to use the ones I have. then I can put my own images in like you did. and have the right thicknesses.

I finally got all 5 movies downloaded. and 4 of them I have converted to vcd quality mpg's. I'm having a problem converting the last one, and i'll have to try again when I get home. I figured what better way to make one then sitting with a vcd in the dvd player watching the instructions. I guess andreq didn't like when I was downloading all 5 files at the same time, thats when that "don't leech" message came about. Sorry about that andreq. It was a nice speed, I figured I would be done with all of them in under an hour. Multiple T1 lines here.

Anyway as for the wireless controllers, I'll open them up and see how easy it would be to solder to them. If it is, then I'll just mount the battery pack under one of the metal plates, and cut a hole in the 2X4 in the front instead of for a wire make it big enough for the IR transmitter.

Well down to measureing out a few last sizes of pieces I will need cut before I take the list to lowes.

Thanks for all the help.
mactek
Basic Member
Basic Member

159. PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well down to measureing out a few last sizes of pieces I will need cut before I take the list to lowes.

Lowe's does not carry any Stanley brand product, so you won't be able to get the corner braces there. I was also underwhelmed with their sheet metal and acrylic choices/prices. Home Depot is a better bet if you have one close by.

mactek
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 8 of 341

Jump to: