Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My home built metal DDR pad (Part IV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 339, 340, 341  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriX
Trick Member
Trick Member

2900. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: I have skimmed the thread but..... Reply with quote

Kue wrote:
I am curious, how come noone has plans for a six button pad. Is it really that far a cry from the 4 button one that already exists? can it even be done?

from what i know and believe, no one is plannin on a six button pad because they attach 4 pushbuttons on their four panel pads. the four pushbuttons are start, select, triangle, and X. start is for organizing the music, select is for accepting choices, triangle is for backing out of choices, and X is also for accepting choices and mainly used for the japanese versions of ddr. anyway if you wanted to make a six button pad you would have to sacrifice two of those buttons, and if you cut it down you actually only need one (select) but triangle and start are really helpful buttons that many people like to have. X isn't as important of a button if you dont' play japanese versions because it is just another select button.

if you wanted you could build an 8 button pad like the CF but i don't particularly like it cuz then you only get one solid panel to balance one which is kinda hard for me, plus it's not that comfortable. with one center panel and two solid panels in the back it helps me position myself better while selecting songs and stuff.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriX
Trick Member
Trick Member

2901. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: help on cutting flashing Reply with quote

sorry double post
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Makaiju
Basic Member
Basic Member

2902. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the scoop. I've been working on my own metal pad (using RipTide's design from the videos) for the past two weeks and I just recently finished it the other day. E4.gif

Everything seems to work great! Well, for a song or two. Then, for some unknown reason, one or two of the arrows completely stop registering. The weird thing is, it's like "hot potatoe" because, even though one arrow stops registering, a few seconds later, it will start registering again and another arrow will die in it's place... E19.gif

If I unplug the controller, and put it back in, it resets it and it works perfectly again. For one or two songs.

Here's the kicker, it only works if I'm in sockfeet. The second I put on shoes, or slippers, it dies on the spot. disturb.gif

All I can ask is, "How can I fix this!?"
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
ch
Trick Member
Trick Member

2903. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a six arrow is the same as a 4 arrow, except that where the edges of the arrows touch each other, theres no wood or metal or anything. theyre just open to each other. they should keep separated by the corner braces, but make sure they wont hit each other when you press them.

whatever you did for the regular wells, just do it again for the corner ones. im sure it can be done, just noone said anything about it. you'll be the first if you post instructions, i think.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2904. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i read that you are having a problem with your buttons not working, umm, first of all what is it for ? playstation, if it is, on the plug in the middle is there a little metal thing, or is it solid plastic, that metal thing is a ground. If you dont have it then you prob need to try to ground the pad to either an outlet(if its for playstation) or you could ground it to the computer case if its for computer.....i grounded mine to the computer case.
Ulala321
Trick Member
Trick Member

2905. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: help on cutting flashing Reply with quote

5thDementian wrote:

Click the link in my sig and scroll all the way to the bottom for pics with the border. It's 1x2 pieces of wood, painted black with corner braces attached for better "holding power". I also added a handle, and wheels for better mobility of the pads. The one with the Purple & Green arrows is the new one. It's build a lot nicer. Did it in about a day and a half.

Cool, thanks for the info! E1.gif I may ask you some questions about your arcade push buttons in the corners of your pads, I was hoping to do something similar. I'll get a border before attaching my arrows to be sure they're square. Did you still measure each blank area just to be sure it was 11x11"? Thanks! E4.gif
View users profile Send private message
ch
Trick Member
Trick Member

2906. PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thdementian, what did you use to make the borders on your pads with? it looks really nice. i like the handles and casters for easy storage behind the couch!

EDIT: nvm, didnt read closely enough. COOL, tho
Trick Member
Trick Member

2907. PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROBELM: Hey i got a problem. My pad will only resgister if i hit around the wire that connets it to the control board. My contacts are differnt then most people since im using my freind degsin and since my email is not working i cant email him. My contacts are two sheets of sheet metal. One end of the wire is soldered to ground and the and the other taped to a small part to the sheet metal. The same thing is done for the button it is assgined to (up down left or right) When you press the arrow the two sheets contact each other and it resgisters. The probelm is it only contacts about 3 inches above and to the side of the wire. Anymore and it wont resgiter. I need help. I tought of that if i just extended the wire it will slove the probelm but before i do it i just want to make sure there is no simple error that im doing.

I have no pics since i cant upload pics on my image server for some reason!! frust.gif
ch
Trick Member
Trick Member

2908. PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinkin that theres too much resistance between the contact on the controller and the ground on the controller. make sure you're only using enough wire to get from the controller to the plate, and vice versa. also make sure that the wire isnt as thin as a whisker, because that would increase resistance, too. or, your plates could be dirty. make sure that the metal can contact easily, and that the wires arent coming loose.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2909. PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished cutting my pannels and, i found that the best tool is wiss type snips, the way the blade is made it cuts throught the metal but doesnt leave a sharp edge, which is good if you plan on playing barefoot. And i used steel wool on the metal and it looks like it removed all the spreckles from the surface, it looks real shiny so if that is what you are going for, you should do that.......hope it wont rust or oxidize?
mtwieg
Trick Member
Trick Member

2910. PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the big deal with cutting the sheet metal? as many others have mentioned, the edges are never exposed, so the sharpness shouldnt matter.
if you really want to know, tin snips work well.
Raymond85
Basic Member
Basic Member

2911. PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puh, riiight.gif

Finally.. Finnished reading the pages.. Took me the whole week!
Anyway..

Many of the old posts includes links that are broken, where did beefman's pad intructions go??

Im concidering building a pad.. And I dont own a ps or xbox..
I want to play it on my pc.. Can I buy a cheap gamepad, and use that instead of pscontroller?
Gamepad that uses usb?
Ulala321
Trick Member
Trick Member

2912. PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wire it to USB for your computer, yes. Someone heere should be able to tell you how or link you to instructions. I'm not too savy with electronics wiring myself though. riiight.gif
ch
Trick Member
Trick Member

2913. PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to do it the same as soldering to any other controller. Make sure that you can press both left and right at the same time before you solder to it; pop the case off and put leads across the left and right buttons at the same time. be careful with this! dont fry the controller! or yourself! then just make a pad like any other, soldering the same, everything.
Basic Member
Basic Member

2914. PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently working on building my own pad. Instead of using a PS2 controller i have opted to buy an old computer keyboard and pull it apart and use the arrow keys on it so i wont need a ps2 to usb adapter i can just plug directly in to my usb port it works wonders so far all the electronics work.

well thats my pointless post for the day E4.gif
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Rockhopper
Basic Member
Basic Member

2915. PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymond85 wrote:
Puh, riiight.gif

Finally.. Finnished reading the pages.. Took me the whole week!
Anyway..

Many of the old posts includes links that are broken, where did beefman's pad intructions go??

I want to play it on my pc.. Can I buy a cheap gamepad, and use that instead of pscontroller?
Gamepad that uses usb?

Try getting the Cyberhome soft pad. It's a PC specific, USB softpad and you can just rip out the control board for your pad. I haven't seen the control board, but it shouldn't be that different from any other control board off of a soft pad. You can probably get one for $15 or so off of ebay.
Raymond85
Basic Member
Basic Member

2916. PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oki, but instead of soldering the left and right directions I could solder the buttons instead? Same thing.. Since you can asign it in stepmania anyway..

You said you used a kwyboard? Is that nye more difficult than soldnering a gamepad?
MrZombie44
Basic Member
Basic Member

2917. PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think it was that hard i pulled it apart attached 9 wires to the board which gives me u,d,l,r,enter, and esc not much to it
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
DarkDragon696
Trick Member
Trick Member

2918. PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the ground wire go to???
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
latindude88wpg
Trick Member
Trick Member

2919. PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Usb Controller Reply with quote

Raymond85 wrote:
Quote:

Gamepad that uses usb?

I don't see why not. I'm actually building my first pad right now (I started yesterday) and I'm using an usb pad. I got a Logitech Precission Gamepad (they're about $20 cad) and apparently it is working. Basically, before you open the pad up, you have to go to Control Panel>Game Controllers and then see if your device is there.

Then check if you can press more than 2 buttons at once (the logitech one i bought seems to work fine). Just solder the controller like any other one and you're done.

You're right when you say you can just solder any button and configure stepmania to read it any way you want. In my case, I soldered all the points, in case I want to add more buttons later (or a control box, or something).

====

Now, my question is:
Would soldering a wire to the ground wire on the usb cable be enough to stop my controller from frying?
I have an old ps2 mat laying around and I was thinking of getting that plastic sheet that comes in the middle with this grid of metal lines and stick it to the bottom of the plexiglass. Would that prevent it from getting an electrostatic discharge?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 146 of 341

Jump to: