Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Metal Pad Discussion Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 95, 96, 97  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had actually been considering stickying this for the past week, it was just a matter of tracking down Maple and tossing the idea off of him.

Instructing everyone to PM me about something is a good way to get on my bad side, FWIW. Good thing only one person did. E10.gif

Anyhow, this is now the official metal pad thread. Post all metal pad questions here.
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry! i tried to PM you, but it said your username wasnt found remy... oh well. well now we have a new metal pad discussion!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
jolly midget
Basic Member
Basic Member

22. PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: i know they are indestructable but what about the other one Reply with quote

So much about CF not enough about the other stuff. I have allready heard that the CFs are indestructable. I could really use some info about level sixes like what do we have to mod. I would buy a cobalt flux but alas i am only fourteen and am not allowd to get a job till the summer and only get a ten dollar weekly allowance. laugh.gif

hacko sack dont let it drop. no im not an elf or midget but im still short YYYYAAAAAAAYYYYY
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a video of my DDR setup... only 10 megs, 3 songs... but the sound doesn't work (mic jack is messed up). It'll be up tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm posting all the metal pad mods I know of, categorized according to metal pad, of course. Here goes:

Cobalt Flux: No known mods specifically for this pad.

Mymybox-
_Ter's Essential MMB Mod: http://www.rufus3.com/ddr/mmb.html

Cyphergames-
Foam Mod: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51898 (this should cover everything needed to mod your CG pad, and the foam mentioned can be found at Home Depot in the plumbing section).

Generic (for all Metal Pads)-
Mounting to Plywood: To mount your pads, what I did is get some 3/4 inch pressboard (plywood will work as well), that is long and wide enough for both pads to fit on. I then put a piece of pine (any other wood would do here as well) roughly 2 inches wide, wrapped some sheet metal around it (optional, but is more realistic), and put it directly down the middle of the pressboard, and srilled it in using 1 1/4" screws. This piece of wood will be used to keep the 2 pads about 2 inches apart (they aren't right next to eachother in the arcades). Then, I placed the pads on the board where I wanted them to be drilled in. After that, I took out each of the corner bolts, and replace them with 1 1/4" screws. Then, you can cut the pressboard down so that it's lined up along the edges with the pads, but I didn't. If you do, leave some room behind, and I'm gonna post some directions on how to build a backbar mounted on the wood behind your pads E7.gif

That should do it as far as mods go... tell me what you think!

Keep it cool,
PS2Freak

You're a towel.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
masago
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2freak wrote:

Generic (for all Metal Pads)-
Mounting to Plywood: To mount your pads, what I did is get some 3/4 inch pressboard (plywood will work as well), that is long and wide enough for both pads to fit on. I then put a piece of pine (any other wood would do here as well) roughly 2 inches wide, wrapped some sheet metal around it (optional, but is more realistic), and put it directly down the middle of the pressboard, and srilled it in using 1 1/4" screws. This piece of wood will be used to keep the 2 pads about 2 inches apart (they aren't right next to eachother in the arcades). Then, I placed the pads on the board where I wanted them to be drilled in. After that, I took out each of the corner bolts, and replace them with 1 1/4" screws. Then, you can cut the pressboard down so that it's lined up along the edges with the pads, but I didn't. If you do, leave some room behind, and I'm gonna post some directions on how to build a backbar mounted on the wood behind your pads E7.gif

That should do it as far as mods go... tell me what you think!

In addition to the wood between the pads, I would also put wood around the edges of the two pads so that you don't mess up your ankles if you step off the edge of the pad. Use a combination of wood that would make it roughly the same height as the pad (e.g., 3/4" + 1/4" if your pad is 1" high and 1" wood didn't exist). The width of your wood frame should be at least several inches, but it kinda depends on the size of your room and how much space you have left on your base board. Also, I would use 1-1/2" screws rather than 1-1/4" screws. I found my pads ripping out of the base board with the 1-1/4" screws because it just doesn't go down deep enough. So far, the 1-1/2" screws haven't failed yet, and they've been in for about half a year now. I didn't see the 1-1/2" screws at Home Depot, but I found them at Orchard Supply Hardware. Other than that, your Generic mod plus _Ter's Essential MMB Mod makes the MyMyBox metal pads perfect!
View users profile Send private message
Boogiepop Phantom
Basic Member
Basic Member

25. PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I only have about another 2 weeks till my Cobalt pad gets here... Although I dont think my soft pad will hold out that long. It's already starting to miss a ton of steps. Guess I'll have to nick my sisters soft pad till the CF one gets here. E4.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ddrkcpimpmufasa
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the video ps2freak???
I wanna see your mod... its sounds awesome!
Are you a true gamer? If so, then register at www.ReadySetGamer.com by clicking the below link. This website is the best gaming website, has the best forums, and also PRIZES are giving away every month! From games to consoles to full desktops, this site owns!
Shen
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's been awhile since I journey the DDR Home forum, and I have a good reason. I got a Cobalt Flux on monday. It is all the good things the other person who did a nice review about it. What I would like to add is something my mom suggested.

See, I have two fautly Ignition pads and when my mom saw me playing on the CF, she commented that my feet probably hurts a lot [I play with only socks on]. She said why not put one of the Ignition pads on top of the CF and play. I tried that and amazingly the pad still responses with the Ignition on top. Yay!

Also, some of the buttons on the CF might "pop" because the metal is kinda forming a bubble facing up so every time you step on one, it goes down and then up. This can be cured after a couple days of playing to get the metal in place.
ddrkcpimpmufasa
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3013136239&category=21185
Just for u people still looking for a metal pad.. thats cheap (price)

before u play on these, mod em with ps2freak's mod

dont forget to take off the rubber black things either.
Are you a true gamer? If so, then register at www.ReadySetGamer.com by clicking the below link. This website is the best gaming website, has the best forums, and also PRIZES are giving away every month! From games to consoles to full desktops, this site owns!
DDRJunkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhou wrote:
Ah, it's been awhile since I journey the DDR Home forum, and I have a good reason. I got a Cobalt Flux on monday. It is all the good things the other person who did a nice review about it. What I would like to add is something my mom suggested.

See, I have two fautly Ignition pads and when my mom saw me playing on the CF, she commented that my feet probably hurts a lot [I play with only socks on]. She said why not put one of the Ignition pads on top of the CF and play. I tried that and amazingly the pad still responses with the Ignition on top. Yay!

Also, some of the buttons on the CF might "pop" because the metal is kinda forming a bubble facing up so every time you step on one, it goes down and then up. This can be cured after a couple days of playing to get the metal in place.

Just a little information on that pop noise. My right arrow on my CF was doing that but when I removed the panal I saw that there was some glue that they use to hold the screws in on the metal. So if you get the pop and it doesnt go away that could be the problem. Just remove the arrow and scrape it off.
mexican ninja
Basic Member
Basic Member

30. PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aight, i know you all have heard how great a cobalt flux is, but im so freaking excited.i will put up my pros and con's, for the people.
+'s
responsive, i can barly touch an arrow, and it registers, and i my self have had no problems with the thing resetting the game (i think they fixed it)
feel, i think a cf is 10 times better then the arcade.nuff said
looks, i like shiny things,i like my cobalt. i can see my self on the arrows, how cool is that.
durabilaty, dude, i dont think even i have a chance of breaking this this. a fall donw the stairs ould send the stairs to hell, but the cf will still play like a dream.
-'s
dude, this thing is heavy, espically if the t.v. is upstairs, and you have to store the cf in the basement.

other then that, its perfect.save your money, cause in the long run, it will pay for itself.most likely
Ravage
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question on trying to repair my CG pad.... and no, i dont want to hear "buy a CF instead", I'm looking for actual help here E15.gif

i bought 2 pads and soon after they arrived, i got to work putting foam, new foil tape, and mounting to plywood one of the pads. later that night, the pad just up and died on me. not sure wth was wrong with it, so until i could get a chance to figure it out i took my second pad and all i did was mount it to plywood (didnt want to do any other mods just in case it was something i did with one of them which was the reason the first one broke). My second pad has been working for about 2+ months now, but when i went to play last night.... nothing. the buttons dont respond at all, on the ps2 or thru the adapter on my computer. (tested both in SM and in the Game Controllers Control Panel)

The thing is, the pad IS getting power, the LEDs glow very faintly when a button is pressed, and actually glow at full normal brightness if i step on 2 buttons at a time. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this problem? If it's anything BUT the actual psx cable I can probably fix it, if it's that cable I might be up sh1t's creek disturb.gif

thanks for any ideas.
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the circuit board. Check all your soldering points, and make sure they're all secure. If you talk to _ter, he can replace your cord if you want him to.

PS2Freak

You're a towel.
Ravage
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, i hate trying to get to that board, flipping the pad over is a pain with half the brackets off. (plus, on my first broken pad when i tried to get to the circuit board one of the led wires actually pulled off it's solder point when i removed the top layer of foam sticky stuff frust.gif )

k, thanks ps2freak, ill check it out tonight
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, my site is finally up, with a few pics of my mod and instructions.

http://home.1asphost.com/cyphergamesmod/

Enjoy,
PS2Freak

You're a towel.
Sain
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2freak wrote:
Ahhh, my site is finally up, with a few pics of my mod and instructions.

http://home.1asphost.com/cyphergamesmod/

Enjoy,
PS2Freak

dan that site took away to load
mod looks good

Quote:
So much about CF not enough about the other stuff. I have allready heard that the CFs are indestructable. I could really use some info about level sixes like what do we have to mod. I would buy a cobalt flux but alas i am only fourteen and am not allowd to get a job till the summer and only get a ten dollar weekly allowance.

haha sounds just like me, except i get 15 a week laugh.gif maybe you should try and make your own homwebuilt metal pad, might be cheaper that way
Basic Member
Basic Member

36. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: I'm getting one Reply with quote

I bought a redoctane ignition 2.0, and it's already bad after 1 month - the arrows keep sticking, making it very frustrating to play. Fortuneately, they have 2 month warranty's on them, and they are going to replace the pad. However, I feel it's just going to happen again. So I'm going to order the cobalt flux and sell my replacement redoctane pad. I'll put up my impressions up here when I get it - which I hear is three weeks waiting time! frust.gif

By the way, this is my first post! biggrin.gif I've been lurking here for a while though.
N.N.T. Barton '1080 ~IIDX
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be old news but its new to me.

http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/beatgear.php
If you've paid for a pad and don't regularly check the forum( http://pub75.ezboard.com/fbeatgearforumsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=531.topic ), now is the time to do so. This thread is an ongoing discussion with Derek regarding paying for the pads to release them from a warehouse in Florida. Other threads in the forum discuss the situation in full, so rather than re-iterate them all here, paid customers should spend a few minutes catching up by reading the forum (link on the menu).

the guy on SM's site got 5 pads? and if you havent seen Beat Gear pads in action they dont sink like MMB or CG pads they are just like the ARCADE with sensors on the outside, well 12 sensors per arrow as aposed to the 8 on the DDR platforms. see image

the pads realy do look nice

heck even watch a Video Demenstration of the pads. remember in the arcade the arrow hitting sound is drounded out by the machenes so it should be the same even though it sounds alot louder. unlike MMB pads which are almost quiet.

Right click here and SAVE AS

i have contacted about buying a set of 2 with backbars. if they are realy in the US in a warehouse in Florada. i realy want one E12.gif

PRIMARY VIVID NNTB beatmaniaIIDX Ver.012
The sound pressure makes you feel refreshment of mind and body. Feel the shouwer of lights & colors.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ORDER FROM BEATGEAR! The guy there has ripped off many, many people, and is no where to be found. People said he went bankerupt.

PS2Freak

You're a towel.
Sain
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2freak wrote:
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ORDER FROM BEATGEAR! The guy there has ripped off many, many people, and is no where to be found. People said he went bankerupt.

PS2Freak

a few lucky people got there pads but theyres alot of people that would offer a bounyt for his were about right now disturb.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 2 of 97

Jump to: