Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ALL Soft Pad Discussion goes HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 87, 88, 89  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vater5B
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I need some help here. I had almost ordered the pad from CypherGames today but I saw the one at Level Six. Some questions:

1) Are these the same pad?

2) Which site has better service?

3) Is the PSX/PC Adapter that comes with the pad compatible with DWI?

Anyone that can help me it's appreciated. riiight.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Xeroinfinite
Basic Member
Basic Member

21. PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright i ordered 2 ignition pads on ebay (they dont have the red octane picture in the middle, instead they show the ddr lady, so i am assuming they are 1.0) I read the first post which said " 1.0 pads are inferior to 2.0 " should i be worried? how are they inferior? Im tired of pads breaking down.....its really annoying to go on ebay and search for new breakable pads. I know these will break eventually but can anyone with experiance with the pads tell me how these "1.0 ignition" pads match up with 2.0 or other 1.0 pads?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Ke6dRRtY
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not all ignitions with the ddr lady in the middle are 1.0. BNS, Cypher Games, and MYMYBox all have that design, and they're all comparable to the RO 2.0.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
freakypriest
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's nothing better than a modded MYMYBOX Ignition 2.5 pad!
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
GCGee
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r1ptide64 wrote:
nice pic! E13.gif

my current pads are the DX pads from www.levelsix.com, which are the same ones as www.cyphergames.com, except more expensive. i bought 'em cuz they have cheaper shipping, faster shipping (to me at least, theyre in NC and i'm in DC), and i got pissed at cyphergames cuz they wasted 10 bux of my money disgust.gif .

i have the edges duct taped down to 1/2" thick plywood so they dont slip around.

ACK! I ordered 2 DX pads from cyphergames before I knew about levelsix! And I LIVE IN NC!! Actually, the prices for both shipped is about the same (60), but if I ordered from level six, I would have gotten them by now.

Oh well.
r1ptide64
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, those pads i ordered, DX ignition style pads from www.levelsix.com, the same ones as www.cyphergames.com, whenever theyre plugged into my ps2, they continually press start. it stops when i press start on the pad. i tried unplugging them and plugging them back in, but that dosnt work. help would be appreciated. E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Ke6dRRtY
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you need to do is boot the game without the pads plugged in, then plug them in.
Moira
Basic Member
Basic Member

27. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Red Octane Ignition 2.0 Reply with quote

Well, I read an article about soft pads. It was kind of a review thing where they compared different kinds of dance pads. The ones that seemed to be the best were the Red Octane Ignition 2.0 dance pads (found here: http://www.redoctane.com/ignitionpad.html). It practically tied with the BNS Ultra-DX (I believe that is what it is called...if I am wrong, please correct me!). So, if you have played both pads, which do you think is better?

Oh, another thing is that with the home modding, there are several different ways to mod the pad, right? If you know them, let me know, because when I read through this forum I only heard/saw the "chair mat" one (where you use the chair mat, the wood, staple gun, ext.).

Thanks!
cRazY FeeT
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys now where i can buy ANY dx pads other than the internet?
View users profile Send private message
Ke6dRRtY
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry's carries MYMYBox and I've heard of some GameStops carrying Red Octane. Check the first post of this thread for more info. thumb.gif
wumpus
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So i thought "sh0t what i m my suppusta do now! i played around with the cover and relized that it was as thick as a cheap chair mat! so now my pad has a pad cover in it instead of a chair mat.

Hmm.. I think that's unlikely.. I have the pad covers from BNS and they are nowhere as thick and sturdy as even the cheap $15 chair mats!

Anyway, there were some questions about the chair mat mod so I will try to answer them. With any soft pad (functioning soft pads, so assume for the sake of argument we are talking about new out of the box soft pads), you have two problems.

PROBLEM #1: The soft pad isn't responsive to quick, repeated steps, eg, the pad "misses" steps.

PROBLEM #2: The soft pad slides around on the floor.

Let's get one thing out of the way -- these are totally different problems with totally different solutions. Fixing one does NOT mean you have fixed the other!

The chair mat mod, as I originally described it, is intended for PROBLEM #1. PROBLEM #1 CAN be caused by playing on extremely soft surfaces like really plush thick carpets but 99% of the time it is caused by crappy pad inserts.

Basically, what you do is this. Go to your local office supply store (officemax, office depot, staples, etc etc) and browse through the chair mat section. Usually, it's where they have all the office chairs and furniture and stuff. Find the chair mats, then go over and touch and feel some of them. Notice how it's really thick, firm plastic? Notice how the cheap ones are thinner and more flexible than the more expensive ones? Well, thick and firm is exactly the kind of surface you want INSIDE your pad. Not that crappy smooshy foam insert stuff that most generic pads come with.

Even the "fancy" Ignition 2.0 type soft pads can be had for less than ~$25 each if you shop around. Did you ever wonder why people can sell some of the soft pads so cheap? Well, I think one major reasin is because they use cheap-buttocks one dollar foam inserts. As you can see from the cost of chair mats, making large pieces of heavy, thick plastic is NOT cheap:

Chair mats range from $15

http://www.outpost.com/product/3256981/

all the way up to $60+.

http://www.officechairs4u.com/tenexthiccha.html

Decided you want to try the chair mat mod? Here's how you do it. First, make sure your chair mat is large enough to cover a pad insert, but not too large, because that's a waste. Once you get it home, draw an outline of the pad insert on it with a magic marker. Next, then cut it into the shape of the pad insert. Note that you WILL need a pair of tin snips (~$8) to cut this thick plastic!! Now place this chair mat ON TOP OF the crappy foam insert the pad came with.

Of course, the chair mat mod is not the only way to go. Alternately, you can remove the crappy cheap-buttocks foam insert entirely and permanently mount your soft pad to a piece of plywood with some duct tape, as shown here:

http://www.extremespin.com/tommy/ddr/

This also accomplishes the goal of getting something HARD and FIRM under your pad, though IMO it is a bit more ghetto, and it's going to be harder on the ol' footsies than a plastic chair mat with some foam underneath.

As for PROBLEM #2. The amount of slippage will depend on your play style (doubles, singles, 4 foot, 9 foot), what is on the bottom of your soft pad, and the type of surface you are playing on (hardwood, linoleum, thin carpet, thick carpet). Whatever you do to solve PROBLEM #1 will do NOTHING to help you with PROBLEM #2!! There are of course ways around it but I want to emphasize that these are two different problems!!
wumpus
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I read an article about soft pads. It was kind of a review thing where they compared different kinds of dance pads. The ones that seemed to be the best were the Red Octane Ignition 2.0 dance pads (found here: http://www.redoctane.com/ignitionpad.html). It practically tied with the BNS Ultra-DX (I believe that is what it is called...if I am wrong, please correct me!). So, if you have played both pads, which do you think is better?

http://warpcore.neoseeker.com/Articles/Games/Roundups/ddrpad/

I want to point out that ALL soft pads, no matter HOW expensive, are still going to suffer from sliding and ghost step problems.. until you mod them (both for accuracy and for sliding-- two different problems!). So I guess in that sense they are all equal. That is, unless someone is selling a soft pad pre-mounted to plywood, or with a super-thick plastic chair mat insert inside. If so then buy that one. biggrin.gif

I do recommend the "deluxe" or "Ignition" type pads with the arcade size buttons, sensors, and good quality construction though.. other than that they are all probably coming from the same taiwanese/chinese factories!
drovkin
Basic Member
Basic Member

32. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the "RedOctane Arcade Size Dance Pad"? This one is about $50, any word on how long they last/how responsive they are? I didn't really want to spend much more than that since i'm just starting out, and if I really get into this, i'm sure someday i'd just build my own metal pad, but right now I thought this was the way to go. I was thinking about modding it right when I got it, so it would last longer, but i'm just starting out, can do 4-5 footers on basic (told you I just started E1.gif ) But i've played at my friend's house, and he said he was going to get one of these pads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Emeka
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two of those $50 pads from Redoctane back when they weren't selling the kind with zippers and foam inserts (many months ago).

Although one of them died about three months ago, the other one has lasted ever since I purhcased the pair.

After modding them using the plywood trick (actually, I just stapled them to the wood on the green rope-like border), they were sturdy enough to AA Matsuri Japan.
View users profile Send private message Send email
drovkin
Basic Member
Basic Member

34. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ So would you say they are worth the price? Or are there now "better" $40-$50ish pads out there?
drovkin
Basic Member
Basic Member

35. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
Am Fek Smrt
Trick Member
Trick Member

36. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drov..if you randomly click on any of the pages in the 1st soft pad discussion, you will most likely find your answer.
Vic Viper
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK question about Red Octan Ignition 2 Pads.

Since I keep hearing about folding the pads with screw it up, I have no idea in how will I carry about my pad to someone elses house. I mean the Red Octan Ignition did came with a carrying bag for pads. But I'm afraid to fold it in that bag cause I keep hearing that folding the pad messes it up.
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fold it up exactly the way it was originally, that'll do fine. Otherwise, if you carefully fold it up in thirds as to not fold the sensors, I think that should be okay.
GFBeach
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did that chairmat mod that everyone's been talking about. Bought an el-cheapo $17 mat at Officemax, got me a $10 pair of snips from Home Depot, and went to work. This mod works great! I score just about as well on this mod as I do with just removing the cushy insert all together, except my feet don't hurt as much. laugh.gif If the pad still mis-fired, it may have done so for only one step. That's one step out of approximately 2000 when I played a few minutes ago (not exaggerating on the 2000, I did 3 3-song runs on Heavy Mode). It requires a bit of elbow grease to cut the mat, but if you've got some Ignition pads and ~$40 burning a hole in your pocket, this mod is well worth it! E4.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 2 of 89

Jump to: