Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ALL Soft Pad Discussion goes HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 87, 88, 89  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezzelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

1044. PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is this (v3.0) pad any good? Reply with quote

vsamaco wrote:
chet100 wrote:
I saw this pad on ebay and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this thing. It seems similar to the ignition 2.0 pads (with the dense foam and all), but they're some no name brand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3083662008&category=21188

How do they compare with any of the others that go for around $30 a pair? Am I better off going with the cheapest around and modding them?

Thanks

From the picture, it looks like the ones here: http://www.cyphergames.com/50501054b.html
or
http://www.levelsix.com/detail.aspx?ID=20

The item advertised on that ebay page has the similar designs as both these websites but top surface of the ebay pad seem to resemble the cloth type surface of levelsix. That type doesn't stick to your feet but doesn't seem as durable as plastic type as cypher.

I think the key feature you'd want in an ignition pad is the hard foam inserts. The ebay pad advertises an ultra dense insert... I'm not too sure if that the same as hard foam or maybe the dense foam (which I think sux) sold both here:

http://www.levelsix.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=13

After having an hard insert, a dense insert is way to soft and the buttons don't seem as responsive. So I would verify if those are "hard inserts" like the ones in the link.

The prices for ignition pads on ebay are good buys for softpads, just have to take note of the type of ignition pad or specifically the type of insert. Ignition pads are good right out of the box w/o modding. They do break down, but you only spent $30+ rather than $40-$50 name brand for one ignition pad.

I bought an item off that dealer, and I got what was advertised, so I doubt the dealer would rip you off with a totally different pad. But I'd verify if the insert is hard foam rather than dense ones.

If anyone is wondering, I bought these pads off of ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3083640145&category=21185

Exact DDRNation pad made by BuynShop (seems just like DX-Xtreme sold for $50) but has the crappy foam insert. I replaced the insert with the broken DX I had. You can also buy hard insert from link above at levelsix.com for $10.

I love EBay! E1.gif

Greets, all. Happy to contribute with my first post. I just happened to order from this guy, and received them in under a week. Yes, these pads contain hard foam inserts, and feel really nice. Each insert comes in three sections, and an assembled insert weighs 4 pounds. 30+25 shipping for a pair seems like a really good deal to me. They've also got the raised arrows with reinforced foam underneith, and I'm getting much better scores now. Just A'd my first 7 footer (Dream a Dream) and I've only been playing for a few weeks. I'd say they're nice, now if only they didn't smell so much! laugh.gif
View users profile Send private message
SmittS
Trick Member
Trick Member

1045. PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzelin you bought this type of pad? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3083662008&category=21188#ShippingPayment Is this the pad with the HARD foam? Thanks.
MingTran
Trick Member
Trick Member

1046. PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Dance Mat, but some of the arrows are not sensitive enough and keep missing when I step on it on time. what can I do to fix it?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Ezzelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

1047. PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmittS wrote:
Ezzelin you bought this type of pad? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3083662008&category=21188#ShippingPayment Is this the pad with the HARD foam? Thanks.

Yes, that's the set I bought. They came with nice 4 lb hard foam inserts. It looks like these are the levelsix pads, but with 'Vortz' stamped on the control box. I mean, there can't be too many factories making these, right?
Ezzelin
Basic Member
Basic Member

1048. PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've decided to do a more proper review of the new Vortz pads I got off Ebay. I also have some questions for all of you.

Pictures:

1. Here's the big box they came in.

2. One of the pads, fully assembled, sitting in front of the boxes.

3. Close up of the pad's surface. It's not slick or shiny, it's kind of textured like nylon or something. Click on the picture (or any of the others) for a close up.

4. Here's a shot of the inserts. They come in three pieces, are hard foam, and weigh 4 lbs. Nice stuff, but smells a little like new shoes. (Is this a common thing?)

5. Non-slip foam back. Doesn't really skid around for me, other then maybe an inch or so over a few songs. I don't notice it during gameplay, and I play mostly 6 or 7 footers at this point. It doesn't look like it will be a problem either.

6. And finally, a picture of the inside of a pad. It looks like it has nice construction here, with all of the internals covered by nylon or some kind of fabric. The 4 main directional arrows are also reinforced with more foam, and are slightly convex. Perhaps there's some plastic inside of them? Either way, they definitely feel nice to step on, and I can tell where I am on the pad. The foam under the arrows is actually shaped like the arrow graphic, so the two outside corners and the inside curve are cut out of the foam. I guess this makes the shape of the foam under the arrows distinctive as well.

Is this kind of one piece construction typical of ignition pads? How does this compare to the inside of a BNS DX or RO pad? Do I need to put tape anywhere to prevent tearing? It doesn't look like this kind of design would tear, and it looks like I can expect them to last me a long time. I don't think that I need to mod them, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be interested, because these are my pads and I want to keep them for a long time.

In conclusion, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. These pads look like top quality gear, and seem responsive to my every touch. And the price--you can't beat $60 including shipping for two well built hard foam ignition pads! I'd be certainly interested in other people's impressions of them, or how they differ in comparison to BNS DX or RO pads. If anyone has any more questions about these pads, let me know.
vsamaco
Trick Member
Trick Member

1049. PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some nice pics Ezzelin. From those pictures, the pad's build is very similar to a BNS DX ignition pad and DDR Nation clone. As for the internal fabric underneath the buttons for DX and Nation pads (and prob most ignition pads) aren't very resilient. After having Nation pads for 3 days and playing 15-20 songs (6-8ft), the internal fabric began to tear at seams around the outline of the buttons and at the outer edges. This only happened in the pad with hard foam, but no tearing has occured with light foam yet (or i just haven't played enough on them). The inside of my pad has a series of duct tape strips where it was tearing. The tearing though doesn't deter the pads functionality for me yet. Check the inside of the pad every once in a while. Don't fold the pad either, or it will crease the internal fabric. Does anyone know if redoctane or mymybox internal fabric the same or different, which is more/less suseptible to tearing? If it isn't, why spend $100 for one?

With my DX pad, which I had for almost 6 months of moderate-heavy use, stop working properly. The lights still lit up, but none of the buttons registered. The cord from the control box began to wear down and the wire was exposed. Just my luck, I had a very beaten up BNS Ultra NX softpad and jacks its control box and used it to replace the one on my DX pad. And now it works! So the lesson I learned, extensive cord movement(pulling, bending, etc) causes the cord to tear away from the cord spring (spiral thing), wears away the plastic that holds the cord to control box and, pulls the wires that connected inside. So keep the cord from moving too much. I duct tape the first 2 inches of the cord to control box sideways to mobilize it a little.

Despite these problems, my BNS DX pads are still going. Thats my experience with ignition pads.
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

1050. PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the graphics, those look pretty much identical structurally to the BNS DX pads I got a few weeks ago.
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

1051. PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice pad. I haven't tried one yet with the heavy (4 lb.) foam, but I'll definitely have to try those next.
One problem I keep having with these softpads is not internal tearing, but the pieces that cover the arrows start moving around inside the pad. Once that happens, my choices are either leave it alone and start missing arrows, or cut it open, reposition the piece, which usually damages the internals and I start missing arrow. It's a lose-lose situation.
Am I the only one who's having this problem?
View users profile Send private message Send email
vsamaco
Trick Member
Trick Member

1052. PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
Looks like a nice pad. I haven't tried one yet with the heavy (4 lb.) foam, but I'll definitely have to try those next.
One problem I keep having with these softpads is not internal tearing, but the pieces that cover the arrows start moving around inside the pad. Once that happens, my choices are either leave it alone and start missing arrows, or cut it open, reposition the piece, which usually damages the internals and I start missing arrow. It's a lose-lose situation.
Am I the only one who's having this problem?

What type of ignition pad do you have? I have a BNS DX pad and the button inserts don't move around after 6 months use. You should try the heavy foam, I think its more responsive than light version. I can never go back :-P. I think the heavy foam induces tearing since its firm and creases uneven surfaces easily.
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

1053. PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten them off ebay... the first set I got were MyMyBox, and the next set isn't branded, but it's the kind with the shiny plastic covering, not the textured nylon type, like the previous ones had. Both sets gave me that same problem... and so far, I've never heard anyone else complain about this, so I feel like it must be *me*... but it's not as if I weigh more than everyone else who uses these pads, and my style doesn't involve sliding around the pad either... so I'm kinda stumped. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my next set...
View users profile Send private message Send email
vsamaco
Trick Member
Trick Member

1054. PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
I've gotten them off ebay... the first set I got were MyMyBox, and the next set isn't branded, but it's the kind with the shiny plastic covering, not the textured nylon type, like the previous ones had. Both sets gave me that same problem... and so far, I've never heard anyone else complain about this, so I feel like it must be *me*... but it's not as if I weigh more than everyone else who uses these pads, and my style doesn't involve sliding around the pad either... so I'm kinda stumped. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my next set...

I'd try ordering yourself high density foam to replace the light version. The dense foam fits firm inside the pad and you don't sink in as much. I have three pads with shiny plastic and the button foams have yet to be displaced. I do have light foam in one of them and the top piece of the pad moves alot since the foam gives way. So I'd try a heavy foam.
mwestep
Trick Member
Trick Member

1055. PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzelin, I got the exact same pads you got, came in on Monday. So far they are awesome, registers steps perfectly and everything.. Im planning on duct taping the inside vinyl pretty soon (I'm 300 pounds, play 8-9 foot songs...).

I am wanting to play doubles, but anything over 5 feet, the pads slide around too much, causing me to not know where the buttons are.

Anybody with these type of pads (ignition) have a suitable fix for that? Some way to connect the two pads together so they won't move around at all. Something light weight so the pads can be moved easily would be preferable.. Oh, and cheap E1.gif.
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

1056. PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody with these type of pads (ignition) have a suitable fix for that? Some way to connect the two pads together so they won't move around at all. Something light weight so the pads can be moved easily would be preferable.. Oh, and cheap .

I'm thinking about building a frame of 2x4's for mine. I don't think I will need a plywood base or anything, just enough to keep them from sliding apart.

- Woody -
DX Manaic
Trick Member
Trick Member

1057. PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to let you guys know:
Vortz pad=the mymybox pad I have=Level Six 3.0's
My pad used light foam and it never had any of the problems.I wonder if I got lucky
Trick Member
Trick Member

1058. PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoodyWindy wrote:
Quote:
Anybody with these type of pads (ignition) have a suitable fix for that? Some way to connect the two pads together so they won't move around at all. Something light weight so the pads can be moved easily would be preferable.. Oh, and cheap .

I'm thinking about building a frame of 2x4's for mine. I don't think I will need a plywood base or anything, just enough to keep them from sliding apart.

- Woody -

Only problem I would have with that is if I misstepped, and came down on the plywood and hurt my foot (especially with jumps... owww).
WoodyWindy
Trick Member
Trick Member

1059. PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only problem I would have with that is if I misstepped, and came down on the plywood and hurt my foot

I would build it with the lumber flat, rather than on edge. That should make it about the same thickness as the DX pads. I need to scan the Home Depot, though. Maybe 1x2's would be enough of a frame to prevent sliding, and it would eliminate the "misstep" factor.

- Woody -
DDRonthebrain337
Basic Member
Basic Member

Location: some boring suburb of detroit where nothing interesting happens
1060. PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vash7ehStampede wrote:
Buy "hard foam" pads.

where? Would a chairmat mod on an ignition be the same?

Or am i just confused...i think i am...
vsamaco
Trick Member
Trick Member

1061. PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRonthebrain337 wrote:
Vash7ehStampede wrote:
Buy "hard foam" pads.

where? Would a chairmat mod on an ignition be the same?

Or am i just confused...i think i am...

These are hard foams for ignition pads:
http://www.levelsix.com/detail.aspx?ID=67

Chairmat mod are for cheaper softpads w/o inserts.
daggis mchaggis
Basic Member
Basic Member

1062. PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chairmat mod are for cheaper softpads

No actually thats wrong. the chairmat mod is for the ignition style pads. what you do is put the chairmat over the foam insert inside the zipper with the spikes spiking into the insert
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
NRGizyeN
Basic Member
Basic Member

1063. PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is http://www.gameenhancer.net/ ignition pads any good?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 53 of 89

Jump to: