Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Proper DDR Etiquette

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Proper DDR Etiquette Reply with quote

Anyone who has played DDR at the arcade has probably experienced a situation that has caused them to get upset at a spectator or player. Most DDR players have a story to tell about their "worst arcade experience", and many of these situations are caused by people ignorant to the basic needs of a player during a game. While little can be done to educate the spectating masses on the proper etiquette for interaction at a DDR location, there are players out there - often beginners - who fail to understand some of the most basic rules of the arcades. To this end, I have created this simple list to define proper DDR Etiquette while at the arcade. My hope is that veteran players will refer newbies to this list and get them started in the right direction. By following these simple rules, we can all enjoy a better gaming experience.

Rule #1 - Obey the Coin Line
Everyone must obey the line, regardless of how good they are, how long they've been waiting, or how often they hang out at the arcade. If someone is currently playing a set when you arrive, wait until the song is finished before putting your coin in place. Try not to use business cards, club cards, or school IDs, because these take up a lot of space and are something you don't want stolen.

A coin line is where people who want to play an arcade game put their tokens in a line on a machine. To join the line, simply put your token at the end of the line, and know who is in front of you. You can wander away, but pay attention to who's playing so you can be ready when you're the next one up. If you can't keep track of which "coin" is yours, try taking a quarter, nickle, or token and coloring it with a marker or put your initials on it.

If you still don't understand coin lines, or your arcade uses a sign-up sheet for keeping order, see here:
http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/contributor-article.php?postID=7890255

Rule #2 - Don't Talk to the Players
This seems obvious to anyone who has played DDR, but many people don't understand how much attention a player gives to the game. It's very distracting when you try to talk to someone who is playing, and it's even worse trying to have a conversation while playing the game. If you tell a player they're good, don't be offended if they don't respond.

Rule #3 - Don't Shout or Yell
It can be distracting to have people carrying on a loud conversation behind you while playing. Despite the volume of the machine, it's important that any conversations you're having while waiting your turn doesn't distract the current players from their the game. Conversation volume is something that even veteran players forget to keep in check.

Rule #4 - Don't Heckle or Insult a Player
Don't comment on how "easy" a song is, don't tell people they suck, or that you're so much better. You may be, but it's rude to intimidate the person on the pad. Plus, it makes you look like an arrogant buttocks, and it's a good way to scare off potential players. This is a rule that some experienced players are guilty of breaking.

Rule #5 - Don't Shadow Without Permission
Players have mixed feelings about someone shadowing while they they play. Generally, a rookie player won't mind this as much, but shadowing can seriously affect the concentration of experienced players. It's important to ask before you shadow someone. This goes for on or off the pad. Never arbitrarily hop onto or off the pad in the middle of a song. If you want to ask if you can shadow, do it before the song begins (see Rule #2).

Shadowing is when (Person A) is playing a single player game of DDR and (Person B) plays on the unused side of the pad and mimics the steps. This is often done so that a second person can get practice and experience without having to pay for their own game. It's also considered shadowing if someone is mimicking the steps off of the pads, behind the current player.

Rule #6 - Stay Back
Keep a respectable distance from the pads while someone is playing. This includes not touching or holding the bars if you're spectating. Not only is it distracting having someone standing too close while you play, but it can be hazardous. If you get stomped, kicked, or hit from a player on the machine, chances are it was your own fault for standing too close.

Rule #7 - Keep Out of Sight
It can be distracting seeing someone walk in and out of your peripheral view as you play. Try to avoid the area 45° to the left and right of the player's direct view to the monitor. This includes deliberately covering the screen as well as walking or standing between the dance pad and the monitor. Many players forget this when putting a "place holder" up in a coin line. Don't stick your hands across the screen or a player's view to put up a coin or grab any personal things (see Rule #1).

Rule #8 - No Stomping
Stomping is loud, destructive, and can be dangerous. Stomping may be your preferred style of dancing, but when people stomp on the dance pads, it wears down the sensitivity, and physically wears down the pads. The best players in the world don't stomp on the pad, so neither should you.

If you're playing on a machine which has unresponsive pads, try flat footing and hitting in the center of the arrow panel for maximum effect. Stomping is a great way to earn the loathing of the arcade operator and fellow players.

Rule #9 - Don't Get Worked Up
Throwing a tantrum is childish. No matter how bad you messed up, or how terrible the pads might be, there is no excuse for abusing the machine. Never hit, kick, punch, stomp, or throw things at the monitor or cabinet. Not only is it immature, it's also a good way to get yourself kicked out of the arcade. Trust me, you don't want to be like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKNwsQjrPNU#t=2m32s

---------------------------------------
Most of the rules on this list are derived from my own experiences at various arcades, and stories told in the "What do people do while playing DDR that really angers you?" thread on DDR Freak.com. I also used a rather good DDR etiquette list created by Allison at AC.

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98406
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/708459/dance_dance_revolution_arcade_etiquette.html?cat=19

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack

Last edited by Suko on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 am, edited 15 times in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Slayer³
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Suko, this should be stickied.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Toraie
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko: The nicest person ever to didder.

Great list, and a nice way to keep the "anger" thread under control (by posting the choicest morsels, y'know).

Also an addition, the middle and outside of the arrows are the places to go when it's being unresponsive. The only real solution is to request it fixed, or make friends with the owner and fix it yourself, but using the less-abused sensors helps. Maybe not if you're trying to PA everything, but a little extra effort can save a lot of frustration.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
NOVAEX
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post.

At our arcade we consider coin lines useless and risky, at Mr. Biggs they use cards with credits on them instead (still $1 per play). Problem is a single card can have like $70 on it and easily stolen.

Our solution? We have implemented a dedicated white board instead. People jot down their names/nicknames on the white board and use a magnet marker to indicate whos next and whos facing who, works very well for us. Honestly I got the idea from 10k Commotion...

Got another rule I'd like to append:

Be Tolerant and Considerate and Don't be a Dick
Yes there are some serious assholes who play DDR. Deal with them, they can be dicks all they want, if you hate them that much go pwn them at their favorite song next round. These players are like trolls: ignore them and you'll have a lot more fun playing.

Dicks are the number one reason why DDR is dying, no n00b wants to deal with some douche bag thats hounding them on how to play. If you see some "pro" being like this to an obvious n00b, then you should say something...
View users profile Send private message
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple more...

Be Helpful
If someone is confused about how to play the game or just has a general question, help them. You aren't doing them any favors by ignoring them.

Things Happen, Don't Get Worked Up Over It
Sure, you might have been trying really hard to AAA that song, but that doesn't mean you have to punch/push/shove/matrix walk on the machine.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I've made some small edits in regards to the recent feedback.

ANDYburnsDDR
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Suko!

I think this should be laminated and posted on the sides of all DDR machines or maybe between the bars so not to conflick with Rule #7.

But really quality post. Should be stickied.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips!
Tonight
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have conversations away from the machine One of the biggest things that aggravates me is people having a conversation next to or near the machine and speaking up to overcome the volume of the machine. You can very easily move away from the machine so that you can speak at a normal voice level so rather than trying to speak over the game which is greatly distracting to the player. Also, making loud gestures (such as "WOOOOOOO!" or random screaming) is liable to get you yelled at if done repeatedly.

Don't have phone conversations or send texts during your game I can understand if it's important, that's no big deal. But people who let the timer run out between every song so that they can text/hold a phone conversation is slightly irritating for the players who are waiting in line. Just get your game over with and call the person between your games.

Don't scroll through the entire song list more than once If you really are having a hard time choosing a song, select random. But scrolling through a song list that never changes begins to get irritating for those spectating/waiting. Newer players it's understandable, but if you're scrolling through the entire list and end up choosing something very common, it seems almost pointless.

Don't try to use excuses to cut the line I've heard it all before. "Hey man I'm about to leave, can I play before you before I go?" "Hey I've had my coin up for 4 hours and it's my turn now that I'm back." Sorry, but if you put your coin up and leave without coming back periodically to see if you're next, you lose your spot in line and cannot just come in and play when you well please. If you have to leave soon and don't get a chance to play because of the line, it's not the end of the world.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
maxninja114
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this may sound stupid and idiotic and is open for flamming...

....but is it ok if i copy-pasta'd this and made it into a Facebook group/fan page? At first i WANTED to simply copy-pasta'd all of this and just make the page, but i figured that possibly someone out there would read it and say "Hey! This came from DDRFreak.com!" or something like that...

...so now i am asking if i can have permission to taker this info and put it up as a Facebook group page thingie. If you do not want to, the it's fine E1.gif
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. Anything to prevent noob-like activities is OK with me.

Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper DDR Etiquette Reply with quote

Suko wrote:

Players have mixed feelings about someone shadowing while they they play. Generally, a rookie player won't mind this as much, but shadowing can seriously affect the concentration of experienced players. It's important to ask before you shadow someone. This goes for on or off the pad. Never arbitrarily hop onto or off the pad in the middle of a song. If you want to ask if you can shadow, do it before the song begins.

Most of my DDR[/ITG2/Pump] rage comes from people who take breaking this rule to such an asshat level. I got a lot of stories to tell, one of which many of you heard already.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: