Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Non-Metal DDR Pad (Plywood/Hardwood)

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fidofido
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Non-Metal DDR Pad (Plywood/Hardwood) Reply with quote

If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies. It is not metal, it is made out of wood.

I made this non-metal hardpad a few years ago.

Here it is.

The design is simple and easy to replicate, as well as durable and customizable. (You could make doubles!)

Basically, it's a hardwood door cut to the size of a ddr pad. Using a router, some channels are cut to run the contact wires through. The wires in this particular pad were cat 3 telephone wire. Then a thick sturdy board of plywood is cut to size, and the parts that you step on are cut out. then you cut out small strips of sheet metal and attach the contact wire to them with small nails or screws that also hold the sheet metal on the pads, making sure the ones on the arrow part are aligned with the parts on the bottom of the pad. Here is a pic of that that makes more sense than what I am typing:

So then I used some little pieces of wood or washers to raise the pad above the door before screwing them together with screws.

For bounce in the arrows (to separate the contacts from eachother and to prevent mis-fires) I put some kind of rubber in there (the kind of material they make orthotic shoe inserts out of.) More can be added/removed to increase/decrease sensitivity.

Then the contact wires are soldered into a controller. I would not do it this way again, and would opt to use a control box with IIDX- style buttons to control selecting the song buttons.

The broken controller I used:

Another picture:

Thanks for checking this out!
View users profile Send private message
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you have used duct tape instead of nails for the metal?
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a nice basic design. How much did it cost you?
Is it very responsive considering what it's made of?

Admittedly it doesn't look very flash, but if it works, awesome.
You could always give it a spraypaint and a sand E1.gif

I myself made a hard pad using 18mm mdf boards with 16mm mdf for the panels, it works better than the arcade machine that I've played on. Although admittedly it's not a very responsive machine.
fidofido
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After tweaking it a bit it became more responsive than the ddr arcade machine. It's also easier to reach the arrows because they are not sunk as far as the arcade.

It is admittedly cheap, like the third world version E1.gif
MyChemicalRomance
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool! I believe the word would be 'ghettofabulous'. But hey, as long as it gets the job done E13.gif
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyChemicalRomance wrote:
'ghettofabulous'
This ;]
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: