Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Converting Official DDR Arcade Pads Into PS2/PSX?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alejandro Sanz II
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Converting Official DDR Arcade Pads Into PS2/PSX? Reply with quote

Good evening from México..

Yesterday, I bought two DDR Arcade Pads for $250 ($125 each), they are dirty as hell, but also they have almost every sensor (But one, which is missing) and almost every light tube (But two, which are broken), along with every wire and even the two circuit boards (GN845-PWB). Well, that's how things are here in my city: The salesman obviously didn't know a single thing about DDR, he just sold them to me because they look cheap, so I got them cheap, and that's the problem right now! He doesn't wanna sell me the DDR Extreme cabinet, because it looks expensive, and.. Well, I'm sure you get my point until here.. ¬¬

So, my problem now is that I don't have the JAMMA board, so I have no idea of how to power up these two pads, also, I don't know how to rewire the sensors so they can work with my PC, or better yet, PS2/PSX.. Any ideas?

A friend told me: "Theorically, all you would have to do is bridge the sensor wires to a PS2 controller board, and that should be enough to power up the pad and activate the sensors"; Another friend suggested: "Maybe you could strip a cheap soft pad, then place its "sensors" over the sensor brackets, that could do the trick".. I'm don't know if a PS2 Pad voltage would be enough to power up the pads, and about the second suggestion, I don't know if it could work, but I'd like to use the original arcade sensors that I have now.. Suggestions?

I've seen tutorials about powering up the pads and using its sensors with a J-Pac, but it seems like J-Pac needs the Jamma mainboard (Which I don't have) to work, or that's what I understood, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

So, I guess the main question would be: How do I get these two suckers to work as soon as possible, preferently on a PlayStation2 controller port (Which I'd plug to my PC via a PS2 to USB adapter)? Any help/ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry about my english, I know it sux.
View users profile Send private message
infamous360
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

official ddr arcade pads that cheap?? right... but anyway

take some ps1 controllers and solder the sensors to it
or Ipac + Console Adpater

you wont get lights to work without an external power source
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to get it to work (without lights) would just be to use a ps1 controller and rewire the sensors to the d-pad.

I think trying to mess with the main boards would be much harder.
Also, incredibly lucky to get them that cheap! I'm super jealous!
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infamous360 wrote:
official ddr arcade pads that cheap?? right...
Yes, Official DDR Arcade Pads THAT cheap.. Why? Read my whole post then you'll know why, I'm not lying.. ¬¬

infamous360 wrote:
take some ps1 controllers and solder the sensors to it
Alejandro Sanz II wrote:
A friend told me: "Theorically, all you would have to do is bridge the sensor wires to a PS2 controller board, and that should be enough to power up the pad and activate the sensors"
That's what we're trying now, it looks promising..

infamous360 wrote:
or Ipac + Console Adpater
Yeah, this was the first thing I could think of, but..
Alejandro Sanz II wrote:
I've seen tutorials about powering up the pads and using its sensors with a J-Pac, but it seems like J-Pac needs the Jamma mainboard (Which I don't have) to work, or that's what I understood, correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Well, now I think I was wrong.. It seems all I need to use J-Pac is the JAMMA Harness (The wires) and not the JAMMA Board.. So I went back there and bought the JAMMA Harness (Along with the Sound AMP, the upper speakers/lights/DDREX logo and the PSU.. I still don't understand how the guy can sell everything out but the cabinet itself), so, if the rewiring to a PS2 controller doesn't work, J-Pac will be my next shot.

slvrshdw wrote:
The easiest way to get it to work (without lights) would just be to use a ps1 controller and rewire the sensors to the d-pad.
Cool, two suggestions involving a PS1 pad instead of PS2 one, I'll consider it, thank you very much..

slvrshdw wrote:
Also, incredibly lucky to get them that cheap! I'm super jealous!
Oh, don't be.. There are still two DDR Arcade Pads and two (or three) Pump It Up ones at the storage room, all you have to do is come to México, and I'm 100% sure you could get them for $125 each (Or maybe less, since they are almost closing now)
Every panel has 4 sensors, so we tried using 2 of them, wiring them to a PS2 controller board, first sensor LEFT second sensor □, first sensor DOWN second sensor X, first sensor RIGHT second sensor O, first sensor UP second sensor ▲. This was a terrible idea, since every step is registering two hits now. I heard this was a common problem with arcade pads, so I tried the common solution (which involves using StepMania Plus, then set DebounceTime to 0.060000 which is meant to prevent "Double hits") and it didn't work, probably because we're using two buttons (2 sensors, 2 buttons), besides, sometimes the steps weren't even registered at all, it seems like the pad really needs the 16 sensors to be working, not just 8 of them (I wish I could get a J-Pac, lol!). So here comes another idea, now I'm gonna try rewiring the 4 sensors of every panel to just a D-Pad direction, no buttons involved, and this time I'm gonna try a PS1 controller. Wish me luck =)
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hook up all 4 sensors in a arrow up to one button. Whats the city and address of these arcade pads? Could you post some pics of your pads?
Alejandro Sanz II
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy s***, it worked!!! It finally worked!

We wired 4 sensors to L1, L2, R1, R2 buttons of a PS1 controller, 4 sensors to each button, and it worked! No more double steps, and all the 16 sensors are working now, oh, jumps and freeze arrows are working like a charm, too. I'm not even using SM Plus anymore since it works flawlessly now without changing the DebounceTime line. I guess I won't need the J-Pac after all.. =)

richard2o9 wrote:
Whats the city and address of these arcade pads?
Hermosillo, Sonora, México.. If you can come here I'd be glad to take you to the place where they're selling the dance pads. Seriously ^^

richard2o9 wrote:
Could you post some pics of your pads?
You bet I will, as soon as I can put my hands on a digital camera.

Thank you very much to everyone for your support, I appreciate it.. Oh, and if there is someone having this same issue with DDR Arcade Pads, feel free to ask, cos I would be glad to help. Now, LET'S D D R!!! ;D
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if only I wasn't broke now, I'd totally try to get ALL those pads.(PIU and DDR) -___- ...especially since I live in Texas, so yeah, stupid money!

Glad you got them working, but you also could just wire ALL 4 sensors per arrow together, then solder that to the corresponding button on the Dpad, but you got it working anyway..
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pics please..
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: