Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How much does a Blueshark/DDR/ITG arrow compress?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: How much does a Blueshark/DDR/ITG arrow compress? Reply with quote

In order to recreate the same timing "feel" as a genuine arcade pad for my homebuilt pad, how much does a Blueshark/DDR/ITG arrow compress before a switch is completed? I've heard some pads that require little distance can throw the timing off (doesn't the Cobalt Flux have this problem?). I'm sure there are other factors, such as the amount of resistance in whatever is causing the spring, be it weather stripping, a mouse pad, or whatever, but how much of a ground is covered from when it is fully uncompressed to fully compressed and contact is made? 1/4", 1/8", or what?

Last edited by CGRemakes on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How much does a Blueshark/DDR/ITG arrow compress? Reply with quote

The arcade pads I've played on have no noticeable compression.
CGRemakes wrote:
I've heard some pads that require little distance can throw the timing off (doesn't the Cobalt Flux have this problem?)

Well the opposite is true. The cobalt flux has to compress quite a bit to make contact (about an 1/8 of an inch) so you would have to step earlier, but the time it takes to compress is pretty much negligible.
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR cabinets and ITG 2 dedicabs don't have any noticeable compression. A 3" blueshark with bar has a very noticeable amount of compression or decompression or whatever it's called. There is no metal pad or home made metal pad that will feel exactly like the arcade.
CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard2o9 wrote:
DDR cabinets and ITG 2 dedicabs don't have any noticeable compression. A 3" blueshark with bar has a very noticeable amount of compression or decompression or whatever it's called. There is no metal pad or home made metal pad that will feel exactly like the arcade.

Makes sense. I thought I noticed a fair amount of compression on YouTube videos for the BlueShark, but it's a little hard to tell. It appears to compress at least 1/4", is that about right? What is it about the insides of the dedicabs that makes them so hard to replicate? What do they use? Are there any photos of their insides?
CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for matrix sensors.
There's a lot of threads and posts about it in this section.

Mine probably has like 1/64 inch of movement (and can be tuned for less).
I wouldn't recommend the way most people build their matrix sensors though.

They put two screws on the side, and the foam in the middle, and then they duct tape the sides so that it won't move. That's hardly stable and hard to adjust imo, but really sensitive.

I'd recommend putting the two foam pieces on the side, so that the metal doesn't tilt, and the screws in the middle. The problem is that you have to make the screws really really really really close to the metal, so that a slight press of a finger would trigger it. If you don't tune it, you'd probably have to put like 15 pounds to trigger it.

But since it's really close the the metal, there's less movement.
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGRemakes wrote:
richard2o9 wrote:

Makes sense. I thought I noticed a fair amount of compression on YouTube videos for the BlueShark, but it's a little hard to tell. It appears to compress at least 1/4", is that about right? What is it about the insides of the dedicabs that makes them so hard to replicate? What do they use? Are there any photos of their insides?

I think the blueshark decompresses like an 1/8 of an inch but it sure feels like more than that. That shouldn't really matter since bluesharks have been discontinued. I saw pics before of a ddr machine pad, but I can't seem to find it. My personal suggestion would be to save up, and buy a ddr extreme machine if you have a job. Since ddr extreme machine's are much cheaper than a itg 2 dedicab.
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way the BlueShark compresses 1/4 of an inch..even 1/8" is a little stretch.

The 3" model I played on compresses about a few millimeters, ~1/16"

If you decide on Matrix sensors, I second the way he said to do the sensors. I like it better with the foam/mousepad on the outer edges as well.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... seems like somehow I've ended thinking the same way some time ago. I'll test this thinking now that I'm gonna make my second metal pad ;D
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: