Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How good are Energy pads?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolforever
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: How good are Energy pads? Reply with quote

I've had a few soft pads and 1 metal pad come and go pretty much. I want to use something for Stepmania but my Dilong adapter doesn't work no matter how hard I try to get it to work.

So I was looking at this pad and was interested in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Foam-Deluxe-Dance-Playstation-2/dp/B000GHG0BA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1237995776&sr=8-2

I haven't really heard many people say too much about Energy Foam Pads, but this has USB so I can play stepmania with it.

Should I buy this or buy a different model? I'm looking to probably play on heavy mode, but nothing TOO heavy.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even think about buying anything that has the 'DDR Game' logo on it.

For foam pads, I'm not so sure what to recommend. I've had a very good experience with the RedOctane Ignition 2.0; it lasted me about 2 and a half years, and for a $100 foam pad that's not bad. But I doubt anywhere sells the Ignition 2.0 anymore. I haven't had any experience with the 3.0 or the 5.0, but I assume they would work similarly. They both have USB support also.

If you want to step up to a metal pad, Cobalt Flux is the way to go.
View users profile Send private message Send email
coolforever
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxx freak wrote:
Don't even think about buying anything that has the 'DDR Game' logo on it.

For foam pads, I'm not so sure what to recommend. I've had a very good experience with the RedOctane Ignition 2.0; it lasted me about 2 and a half years, and for a $100 foam pad that's not bad. But I doubt anywhere sells the Ignition 2.0 anymore. I haven't had any experience with the 3.0 or the 5.0, but I assume they would work similarly. They both have USB support also.

If you want to step up to a metal pad, Cobalt Flux is the way to go.

I was actually thinking of a Afterburner for a metal pad...how good are those? Cause they are much cheaper and I've heard the CF needs a special adapter for stepmania.

If I were to get a Foam pad I guess i'd stay with red octane then.
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably could have figured all this out by doing a little research.

Anyway, I have an energy foam pad. FYI most foam pads have little square risers right on top of the sensors so you can tell where you're stepping. The problem I had with mine was the bottom riser slowly slid out of place into the middle of the pad. It was extremely difficult to know where to step mid song. I made a small slit in the pad and moved the riser back into place. It's not a bad pad, but it's not the best. I bought an old used BNS sparkle foam pad (no longer made) and it works and feels much better.

Even though some ignitions also have the problem with the migrating risers, I recommend them over this pad.

Ignition 3.0 (no longer made) was cheaper with free shipping. I would probably just go with the new Ignition 5.0. They probably fixed the sliding insert issue anyway.

The afterburner is hit or miss, some people have problems out of the box, others have a reliable pad for over a year. Cobalt Fluxes don't need an adapter to play on PC. They've had a new control box for a while now that comes with ps2/xbox/usb connectors.
coolforever
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
You probably could have figured all this out by doing a little research.

Anyway, I have an energy foam pad. FYI most foam pads have little square risers right on top of the sensors so you can tell where you're stepping. The problem I had with mine was the bottom riser slowly slid out of place into the middle of the pad. It was extremely difficult to know where to step mid song. I made a small slit in the pad and moved the riser back into place. It's not a bad pad, but it's not the best. I bought an old used BNS sparkle foam pad (no longer made) and it works and feels much better.

Even though some ignitions also have the problem with the migrating risers, I recommend them over this pad.

Ignition 3.0 (no longer made) was cheaper with free shipping. I would probably just go with the new Ignition 5.0. They probably fixed the sliding insert issue anyway.

The afterburner is hit or miss, some people have problems out of the box, others have a reliable pad for over a year. Cobalt Fluxes don't need an adapter to play on PC. They've had a new control box for a while now that comes with ps2/xbox/usb connectors.

thanks for that Dave, I actually did a lot of research but a lot of people had different opinions on every pad they own so I wanted to make my own topic.

Since the CF has it's own control box for USB I might as well get that once I have enough money.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: