Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

My pad UPDATED

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: My pad UPDATED Reply with quote

The base layout with wires in (wires are run through slits in the stud)

The Logitech USB controller I used, on both the left and right sides their are three wires that were for the shoulder button that I have soldered onto (sorry its a bad pic)

The pad with packing installed in the sensor wells (used to bring the contacts up to the correct height.)

Aluminium solid squares and brackets attached.

The wiring.

The underside of the pads.

The finished product, without graphics under the perspex (I havn't been able to get to somewhere with a good printer yet.)

I'm working on a old computer now to put out in the shed with the mat so I can test it.

Last edited by Steinway on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message
CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of glue did you use to glue the sheet metal onto the wood, and what glue are you going to use for the arrow graphics?
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_Warrior wrote:
What type of glue did you use to glue the sheet metal onto the wood, and what glue are you going to use for the arrow graphics?

I used contact adhesive (the stuff used for lyno) and I'm going to try not gluing the arrow graphics at all (the upward pressure from the foam should hold it all together) that way I can change the graphics easily if I want too. I got the sensor working perfectly but I havn't had time to finish yet. frown.gif
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated.
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of screws did you use? Phillips head screws? I highly suggest you use truss head screws instead if you didn't use them.
CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why truss? I think they'd work about the same.

If not, do you think the same would apply to matrix sensors?
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_Warrior wrote:
Why truss? I think they'd work about the same.

If not, do you think the same would apply to matrix sensors?

I don't know about the matrix sensors, but I was talking about on the brackets and the metal panels. Truss head screws(I think they are also called lath screws) are much more recessed than phillips head screws. That you way you wouldn't really notice the screws as much when playing. You can really feel phillips head screws when you play. As in the phillips head screws could trip you up, make it harder to move around, and make it harder to double step/slide.

Here's a pic of a truss head/lath screw.

Here's 2 pics of phillips head screws.

CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it's a lot less arcade-accurate.
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_Warrior wrote:
True, but it's a lot less arcade-accurate.

I'd have to disagree about that. Phillip head screws are not like Arcade screws. Arcade screws don't trip you up or make it harder to slide.
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used Philips head screws because they are the right height for the sensors so I used them for the bracket to save money, but I see where your coming from. I played for a good 4 or so hours today and didn't run into any screw related problems, actually I had no pad related problems at all. So far so good. biggrin.gif
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard2o9 wrote:
I don't know about the matrix sensors, but I was talking about on the brackets and the metal panels. Truss head screws(I think they are also called lath screws) are much more recessed than phillips head screws. That you way you wouldn't really notice the screws as much when playing. You can really feel phillips head screws when you play. As in the phillips head screws could trip you up, make it harder to move around, and make it harder to double step/slide.

Here's a pic of a truss head/lath screw.

Cobalt Fluxes use lath screws, playing with anything else would indeed be disastrous.
CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the arcades I normally go to, they use giant panheads. Though I've seen some flatter looking screws in an ITG dedicab.

I don't get tripped up, so I guess it's fine for me.

But slide? That's interesting. I never slide when I play, my shoe grips the metal too tightly to do any slides in the first place. Some arcades use wax on their pads to make it slippery enough to slide, but since they added it themselves, you aren't supposed to slide while playing at an arcade (unless you don't clean your shoes before playing).

Cobalt fluxes are supposed to be flat, so I'd see why they use Lath screws.

My first homepad is really flat, no recession, no bracket screws, so I imagine I'd know what it feels like to play on truss screws. My second pad uses panheads and are much closer to the arcade imo.

They're like #14 philips panhead screws.
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the arcades i've played on i thought the screws were more like the truss ones..

on my own ones i've built, i have used the round head and truss, and i prefer the truss myself.

plus, i think they look better too E13.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slvrshdw wrote:
on the arcades i've played on i thought the screws were more like the truss ones..

on my own ones i've built, i have used the round head and truss, and i prefer the truss myself.

plus, i think they look better too E13.gif

That's what I thought too. The phillips head definitely does not feel like the arcade screws.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: