Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Actual DDR calories... Like with a competitive playstyle.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Actual DDR calories... Like with a competitive playstyle. Reply with quote

Lately I've been eating too little, mainly because I don't include DDR/ITG in my idea of how much exercise I do in a day because it's a game, so it doesn't feel like exercise.

Anyhow I'm beginning to wonder how much the game actually burns... And I'm not talking about any of those online studies, or the calorie counter in the home-versions... I'm talking if you flat-foot, if you don't move a lot. I'm also curious as to the difference of no-bar vs. bar calorie burn. Obviously it's different for different weights...

I was wondering if a study has been done on competitive players or if anyone has any idea. If not I'd totally like to do one, but I don't really know how.

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Nathan.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 calories per arrow

or so i hear
View users profile Send private message
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from my personal experience, but when I play ITG 2 (arcade), I take the total number of calories it says I burned (2,000) and divide it by 5, or 6 (depending on the intensity of my playing). So, if I played 9's for an hour and the machine said I burned 2000 cals, I assume it's closer to 400 or so. If I spent 1 hour playing 7's and it says I burned 2000, I divide it by 6, and assume 340 cals or so. These numbers I gave in my examples are all completely random and made up.

I'm 6'7" tall, so my calculations are probably completely whack compared to a normal person. So this is by no means scientific, but based off estimates for "aerobic dance" and similar activities I've seen documented on websites, it seems to be fairly accurate for me.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to really know how many calories you burn when you play DDR? Don't pay attention to the calorie counters and there is definitely no direct arrow to calorie ratio. I guarantee you I burned more calories playing B4U Light as a newb than I do playing Colors Heavy today. It's all about getting your heart rate up. Take your heart rate before a song (you have 90 seconds to choose a song, start counting with 60 seconds left). At the end of the song, count your heart rate a 2nd time, divide it by 2, this gives you a very rough estimate of what your average heart rate was during the entire song. on your second song, your heart rate will be much higher than your first, thus, your average will be higher. Next, plug in your heart rates into this formula

Using VO2max
Men: C/min = (-59.3954 + (-36.3781 + 0.271 x age + 0.394 x weight + 0.404 x VO2max + 0.634 x HR))/4.184
Women: C/min = (-59.3954 + (0.274 x age + 0.103 x weight + 0.380 x VO2max + 0.450 x HR)) / 4.184

Without VO2max
Men: C/min = (-55.0969 + 0.6309 x HR + 0.1988 x weight + 0.2017 x age) / 4.184
Women: C/min = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184

to get a Calories (that's 1000 tiny calories, food is measured in Calories, 1,000 calories each) burned per minute. I usually take my heart rate before, between and after my games and use the average as the total amount of calories I burned for the session. Obviously, playing non-stop mode is more strenuous on your heart and can be more beneficial. Notice that your heart rate may dip as low as 120 bpm by playing just 7 footers, depending on your skill. I can get my heart rate up to 180bpm. This can be dangerous, but if you don't keep it up there and do it in bursts (like 1:30, how convenient, eh?) you should be fine.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. You'd think intense ITG then is really, really good for calorie-burn because it's a lot like HIIT. Burst of high heart rate, some rest before the next song. It's really hard for me to get my heart-rate up playing anything on DDR (I'm a runner...), but a good deal of ITG songs do it for me.

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's also helpful to learn the difference between kCal and normal calories.

also, there are too many different factors to consider to be able to accurately say how much you burn. do you play on your toes, or flat footed? do you use the bar? how much time do you take in between songs?

playing a 4-song nonstop course will probably burn more than playing 2 full sets normally, taking your time in between songs to select new songs/mods.

best exercise possible would be world tour doubles
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranatalus wrote:

also, there are too many different factors to consider to be able to accurately say how much you burn. do you play on your toes, or flat footed? do you use the bar? how much time do you take in between songs?

Very true.

I don't regularly use the bar, but when I do, the increase in my stamina on a song is very noticeable. In turn, someone who uses the bar for every song probably isn't burning as many calories as someone who goes no-bar.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rantalus wrote:

I'm pretty sure world tour doubles is easy compared to any ITG 14 or 15.

I'm interested in DahrkDaiz's approach, I'm gonna try it out sometime.

DahrkDaiz: is that age in years, weight in pounds, heart rate in bpm? Also, I have no idea how to find my VO2max, so I'll use the other one.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
rantalus wrote:

I'm interested in DahrkDaiz's approach, I'm gonna try it out sometime.

DahrkDaiz: is that age in years, weight in pounds, heart rate in bpm? Also, I have no idea how to find my VO2max, so I'll use the other one.

There are some estimations based on how much you can run in 12 minutes... Not sure about the accuracy but apparently mine is 54.752962217750955 mls/kg/min. Haha. If that's true I think it's pretty good for a chick. It's probably an overestimate though just like DDR cals because I run with decent form, so I'm probably more efficient than they assume I am... Who knows though...

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
rantalus wrote:

He didn't say "most difficult" - he said "best exercise".

most difficult =/= best exercise.
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain you'd burn more calories per minute barring a 15 than no barring any ddr song.

Using times from when I ran track, my VO2max is probably somewhere between 51 and 56. i got 56 for my mile time and 51 for my 5k time. I'm also not in the same shape I was then lol. So 54 is pretty good I'd say! I assume girls' would be naturally lower. You must run a lot...how much?
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
I'm pretty certain you'd burn more calories per minute barring a 15 than no barring any ddr song.

Using times from when I ran track, my VO2max is probably somewhere between 51 and 56. i got 56 for my mile time and 51 for my 5k time. I'm also not in the same shape I was then lol. So 54 is pretty good I'd say! I assume girls' would be naturally lower. You must run a lot...how much?

I'm at about 35 miles/week, in addition to DDR/ITG & about 16,000 yards of swimming per week... Basically almost too much exercise for my own good.

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:

But what happens if you cannot pass the song? That's minutes upon minutes wasted on barring some made up probably bad stepchart instead of doing a set of songs for a longer time.

Just because you can lift up to 40 lbs does not mean you should use it for weightlifting.
ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:

the two things are pretty comparable to burnout vs. endurance training

do you think you burn more calories weightlifting one set of 150 pounds or 5 sets of 80?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more sets with less weights will burn more calories.

Because it results to nearly cardio/endurance.

Lifting more is similar to isometrics, hardly any movement.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
v4extreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate those freakin studies, should say sumpthin along the lines of "the average n00b who wasn't getting much out of the game burned an average of x calories."

http://www.youtube.com/user/v4extreme
http://ddr.ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=5721
http://beatspace.net/Profile.aspx?uid=422
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Nathan.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread really isn't going anywhere.

There's too many variables to give be able to predict with accuracy how many calories you'll burn on anything, just as Steve said.
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are too many variables to get a decent estimate. To begin with I'm talking about the typical new-gen players, or since this is for myself mostly... People who play like I do... Mostly flat, bar. Other than that the only major variable is weight. For example running I know that generally, I burn about 100 cal / mile. It increases with weight. If they can figure that out, I'm sure they could figure out dancing games too...

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
Nathan.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

difficulty of song

break between song

flat foot / toes

bar / no bar

weight

height

sex

type of pad (me heel toe'ing on my home pad is significantly different than how I heel-toe on garbage Konami pads)

must I go on?

Also the thing with the heart rate is dumb. I did ITG2 for a talent show on Friday night and I can guarantee you my heart rate was through the roof thanks to all the adrenaline rushing through my legs and I can guarantee you I didn't burn significantly more/less calories, and if i did it sure as hell didn't feel like it. ugh. But yeah situations like that would throw that little equation down the shitter.
ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonbeam Funk wrote:
I don't think there are too many variables to get a decent estimate. To begin with I'm talking about the typical new-gen players, or since this is for myself mostly... People who play like I do... Mostly flat, bar.

in that case: very little

futuring/bracketing/whatever the hell the term is for "moving as little as possible" means you really are getting next to no exercise benefit unless you play 13+ songs for 2-3 hours straight with no breaks
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: