Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

USB Controller?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: USB Controller? Reply with quote

I have been playing stepmania for ages on and off with the keyboard but now I want to play it with a dance mat. I am planning on making my own dance mat, I have read riptide's and devout's tutorials and taken them into consideration while designing my pad and I think I have everything right. The problem is the controller, as I want to use it with the computer ill need a USB plug not a Playstation plug for my computer. My question is can I use one of those cheap USB controllers and wire it pretty much the same as a Playstation controller or am I better off using a Playstation controller and just buying an adapter?

Edit: I just found this http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/devices/301&cl=us,en at my local computer store, what are my chances of possibly using it?

Or these ones I found on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Dual-Double-Two-PC-Game-Controller-Joypad-Gamepad_W0QQitemZ260352708345QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Video_Game_Accessories?hash=item260352708345&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

This is the converter I was thinking of using if I need to use a Playstation controller http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DUAL-2x-PLAYSTATION-to-PC-USB-Controller-Converter_W0QQitemZ270336192660QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Input_Peripherals?hash=item270336192660&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318
View users profile Send private message
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is going to be used solely for stepmania, just get a cheap USB keypad/controller and use that.

the ps2->usb adapters are annoying to find the right one to work with no lag, etc. That's mainly for people who plan on using it both on ps2 and stepmania.
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slvrshdw wrote:
If it is going to be used solely for stepmania, just get a cheap USB keypad/controller and use that.

the ps2->usb adapters are annoying to find the right one to work with no lag, etc. That's mainly for people who plan on using it both on ps2 and stepmania.

Ah ok thanks, so that logitech controller would be ideal then?
CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found a universal soft-pad that works with the GC/Wii/PS/PS2/PS3 by Blockhead that I found at Best Buy. PS3 = USB, and you can connect it to your computer.

It cost about $24.99, but I would recommend it over a USB game-pad just because it's so much easier to solder onto (large, obvious contacts), and you don't need to drill any holes or anything and it's.. pretty universal minus the XBOX 360 but the DDR games for it suck anyway.

I've heard things about controllers frying out from static or whatever, but I don't believe them. Your only concern is the wire length of the controller, it might be too short. I think there's definitely a chance that extending the length of the wire via other wires will fry your controller (I believe this) and the wire might be short because of that reason.

If you do decide to go use it though, be sure to adjust your build accordingly and not put the controller inside the pad, but some feet in front of the pad.
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, I went out on limb and got the logitech controller and I think its paided off (fingers crossed) I'm gonna get out my camera and show you guys my build soon.
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've built my metal based on a logitech pc controller, although it has game port connector, not usb. I get pretty good SDG records on ddr songs(4-6 greats), using arcade ddr extreme timing windows on stepmania. the pcb doesnt fry or something, i dont see how could it get fried, its just switches. it could get fried though if lets say, there is some power source from outside the circuit, ie: pad lights.
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuma Gorath wrote:
i've built my metal based on a logitech pc controller, although it has game port connector, not usb. I get pretty good SDG records on ddr songs(4-6 greats), using arcade ddr extreme timing windows on stepmania. the pcb doesnt fry or something, i dont see how could it get fried, its just switches. it could get fried though if lets say, there is some power source from outside the circuit, ie: pad lights.

Ah true, I don't think it will fry unless I try draw more current then the circuit is capable of. The good thing about the controller is that it has 4 shoulder buttons and the power to them is run via cables so I've just cut into them (yay no soldering on a circuit board). My build is about half done now so ill get some pic's up soon.
ddrpros
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/USB_Adapters

look at these. I have the 3rd one and it works fine for me. Although one of them broke, good thing I had 2 of them.

my email is theaznstephanie@yahoo.com

i dont check the other email listed in my profile

Dealextreme - best deals for electronic gadgets
Super Strong Magnets $1.63 shipped

youtube
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: