Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Am I doomed if I don't learn overhead?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juff_ITG
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Am I doomed if I don't learn overhead? Reply with quote

A lot of 14 block and up songs are around 200 bpm. Is overhead completely necessary to learn at this point? The machines I play on don't have 3.5x rate, so 200 bpm is kind of fast on 4x hallway and too slow on 3x distant. I hear 600 bpm overhead is good, but I just have a ton of trouble reading overhead period. Help. E2.gif I just started to play hallway, so I may be able to learn to read that fast, but not sure. 800 seems very fast to me.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
NBCrescendo
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with Hallway. If you're having trouble reading fast, then practice on Stepmania. Eventually 800 BPM will seem normal. Trust me, stay on Hallway. It's so much better than Overhead.
Juff_ITG
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, well I did have a really good player tell me I should learn overhead via pm, but if I can avoid it I will. God I hate those big fat arrows lol. I'm really not sure why I have trouble reading it, I started ITG only playing overhead, and played ddr for a long time before even trying ITG, but I just don't like it.
jesusfr3ak4evr
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to Hallway 2 days ago from only playing Overhead for a couple years. I must say, hallway is pretty sweet. I like it far more than overhead for my style of thinking and playing. It's nice that I can play higher bpms too, like Pandemonium at x2.5 is suddenly reasonable to read, and Bloodrush at x5 is kind of readable for the slow section. Even Vertex is readable. Why switch to overhead from hallway? IMO, hallway is better. I am working on fully converting to hallway.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd actually be switching from distant. I agree hallway does seem nice, I seemed to have much better FA with it. Hopefully I can just learn to read 800. Like if I worked up to doing dragonforce songs eventually, I'd have to keep very good technique to not tire myself out early on. If I can't read that fast though and have bad tech on some parts, there goes tons of stamina.
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not learn overhead? Maybe you'll like it at certain bpms. I used to use mini, then I switched to distant and tried hallway, and then I ended up switching to overhead. I like it the best for most songs. Distant and hallway are useful, but I definitely have better FA on overhead. I usually read between 600 and 640 bpm on overhead.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll just have to mess with it a little more. Thanks for the help guys, looks like the consensus is that I should just learn everything. laugh.gif Wouldn't hurt to be good in all mods though.
NIQ9
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no clue how you can read hallway xD

I can only read overhead, incoming, and Space. I'm trying to learn all of them though.

Just practice reading speeds too fast for you. Play some official 9's on like 5x overhead or something.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't read hallway all that well, but so much better then overhead. Distant is about all I'm very good at reading. Never messed with incoming or space or any of that, and I don't really care to try mini.
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt recommend playing on 5x over. I read 4.5x over for stuff between 130 and 140 bpm, and thats pretty fast. If anything, I recommend starting out a little slow and then speeding it up.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually surprising that no machines (that I know of) in Michigan have .5 speed mods like 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5. Would be nice to get really close to the perfect bpms whatever you decide to play.
Virtually Emotionless
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juff_ITG wrote:
I really can't read hallway all that well, but so much better then overhead. Distant is about all I'm very good at reading. Never messed with incoming or space or any of that, and I don't really care to try mini.
You're missing out by not trying mini. It allows higher speed mods just like hallway\distant. Higher speed mods are a very good thing.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Juff_ITG
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeah I dunno maybe I will. I never really liked the thought of mini, but I think it's time to evolve. laugh.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: