Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR: Player Class System
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: DDR: Player Class System Reply with quote

I'm bored, and that boredom has spawned ideas.

I was thinking about how a class system could be created in regards to DDR/ITG players and their abilities. I thought of a class system, and the players are ranked according to specific achievements they've accomplished in their DDR/ITG career. Since this is a brand new idea, I'm not claiming that the prerequisites I'm listing here will be perfect, but that is why I'm sharing my idea with the community. I want all players to contribute with their feedback and perhaps, just MAYBE, we can actually start something that may be adopted by the community. I'm sure there will be many people who disagree with me on certain things, so please let me hear your thoughts.

*Note: I intended this ranking system to be used in reference to arcade players. I generally didn't include anything related to playing at home, but would like anyone's input if they feel that this is an important aspect which I left out.

I'll start from the bottom ranks up.

Noob: (approximately 70% of all players)
Just as it sounds, a noob is someone who doesn't play regularly enough to be competitive, or who has never progressed beyond easy mode. They're almost always uninterested in serious competition and DDR is generally just a fun distraction for them. Players like these have no need or use for a class system, and as such, don't need any specific categorical specification. [The gaggling group of school girls who fail on Graduation light fit this category, as would the 7 year old kid who barely passes Crash! the third time in a row.]

------------------------------------------

3rd Class: (approximately 20% of all players)
Third class is the first true class ranking and the majority of serious players are classified under this category. 3rd Class players generally dance on Standard or Heavy mode and usually play (but are not limited to) the 5-9 step songs. Most of these players have not yet achieved a AA or ** ranking on any song. Also, most of these players would probably be unaware of their class status, simply because at this point, they're probably not frequent visitors to the online community sites and still play mostly at a casual level, or at home. Many members of this class have enough drive and potential to make it to 2nd Class with time and practice.

General Prerequisites for 3rd Class:
-Have achieved a full combo on a 6 step or harder song (either on Medium or Hard difficulty).
-Can pass almost any song, with a difficulty of 7 or lower, without failing.

2nd Class: (approximately 10% of all players)
This class represents the player who has a passion for the game that has propelled them noticeably above the rest. A player in the 2nd Class category is semi-competitive in their playing and is actively trying to improve their own scores, or beat the scores of their peers. Many have been playing for at least a few months or a year by this point, and would likely attend local competitions if available. These players have moved past Standard/Medium mode and now play almost exclusively in the Heavy/Challenge or Hard/Expert categories. In this class, a player's skill should be to the point where they can pass most 9 step songs, and their accuracy should be to a level where they have achieved a few AAs or *s.

General Prerequisites for 2nd Class:
-Plays almost exclusively in Heavy/Challenge or Hard/Expert mode.
-Can clear the majority of 9 step songs (not including the ITG Expert difficulty).
-Have achieved a minimum of four AAs (pre SN2 scoring) or four *s on a Hard/Challenge/Expert song, regardless of foot rating.
-Can almost always full combo songs with a difficulty of 8 or lower.

1st Class: (approximately 5% of all players)
Players with the title of 1st Class have risen above their peers in all forms of the game. Often these players are highly competitive and are constantly trying to improve their scores for themselves, or to surpass their peers. First class players have refined their game by excelling at all aspects of DDR; Accuracy, Technique, and Endurance, just to name a few. These players can score in the 95%+ on many of the songs they play, and are often able to complete all but the hardest of songs. Few make it to this point, and it often takes years of practice for a player to make it to this level. [Anyone who is upset at their score when getting a AA or ** is probably a 1st Class player. Same can be said for anyone who can pass 10 or 11 foot songs with a 95% or higher. A large number of the people on these online communities fit into this category.]

General Prerequisites for 1st Class:
-Plays almost exclusively in Heavy/Challenge or Hard/Expert mode.
-Can clear almost any song under 12 foot difficulty.
-Has AA'd or **'d most songs under 9 steps.
-Has achieved at least one (traditional) AAA or ***.

1st Class+: (approximately 3% of all players)
This is a place holder. I felt like there may need to be an additional class between 1st and Pro, since the Pros are usually so far beyond the majority of the players, yet there are many who are past 1st class. I was thinking that this class could represent the top 3% of the players out there.

General Prerequisites for 1st Class+:
-Plays almost exclusively in Heavy/Challenge or Expert mode.
-Has cleared or can clear all official stepcharts. (Vertex^2, Pluto Relinquish, etc)
-Has at least 40+ (traditional) AAAs or ***s.
-Has at least five ****'s in ITG's Hard or Expert mode or 4 FMC AAAs in SuperNova 2's Hard or Chaellenge difficulty (or an equal equivalent to these prerequisites).

Pro Class/Platinum Class/OMG UR A LEGENDZ Class: (approximately less than .5% of all players)
This is the cream of the crop. The absolute top 1%. These players are no longer mere mortals, they have transcended to a place few can follow and have become legends. This class represents players who have literally perfected the game and are known world-wide. Players like JSB, Take, Yasu, Lil Q, and MMX (and others) would fall into this category. If you qualify for this class, you probably already know it.

General Prerequisites for Pro Class: (I really have no idea what serious prerequisites should be. It almost seems pointless. Also, since I can't even imagine being this good, I have no idea what the prerequisites might be...suggestions?)
-AAAs are more comon than AAs.
-You have achieved 99% on all songs with a difficulty of 9 or less.
-You have cleared all songs in the 10 - 13 range, with a 98% or higher.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack

Last edited by Suko on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Vandel.M
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is really cool i like this a lot lol to the 1% of like super godly people that just seemed funny but the idea as a whole is really good
yay i fit into 2nd class now time for more training haha riiight.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
recoil56
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this feels like it would be a add-on to the points system n8 was talking about that one day. Figure he has 99 points, and the best player in the world has 100 points he would be the 1% margin. The actual ranking goes higher than 100s. I'd almost like to think the chess rating system would work, where Grand Masters are like ~2500 points, while the best computer in the world has ~4000 points (yes no actual person can win). Everyone has 800 points to start (about a 1500 rating is a pretty good person in chess btw, like the equivalent of someone who could pass Sakura, and just maybe max 300, but far way from passing Healing D-vision.) This person could almost always FC a 7 footer. This requires deeper thinking and i don't got the time right now. Curerently typing up 5 pages on Otto Hahn.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Chess system sounds interesting. Being able to distinguish your abilities with a number relative to other players would be really easy and convenient. I myself know nothing about how it works, but it sounds like if it applied to DDR that it would be a Player vs Player ranking system. So each time you beat a player, you get 1 point. Every time you lose you deduct a point. I'm sure there is some huge flaw in my logic that would prevent it from functioning correctly or accurately, but it's fun to think about.

GERARDAMO
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems interesting, anyway. I feel like all of the major groups are covered. The only thing bugging me is the percentages seem a little off and add up to more than 100 E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I am two classes below Pro class (1st class). I gotta step my game up to move into pro class. Whoo. Sure I didn't get to AAA anything, yet, but I sure as hell will this year.

This is surprisingly accurate. I thought "Man, this can't be accruate. I am already up to 2nd class and I cannot fit this description. I can't possibly be in the same class as the people who play here in New York" and BAM! I was proven wrong/right.

Last edited by That guy with the afro... on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to try to figure out what percentile I was in, until I realized the percents added up to 109% E19.gif
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems about right.

Out of 100 people, at least 1 person must be a perfectionist.
Not Spokane maybe, but perhaps Tukwila (actually they would be higher). laugh.gif
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vandel.M
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the points system and like the win a point and loose a point thing would be cool or like have matches where you can like like doudle the points you wager something like that idk and find a way you cant cheat the system lol if possible and imma think of more ideas
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandel Malicious Crew VDL wrote:
i like the points system and like the win a point and loose a point thing would be cool or like have matches where you can like like doudle the points you wager something like that idk and find a way you cant cheat the system lol if possible and imma think of more ideas

You and I will be at each others points over and over again.

~~~~~
WARNING! SEMI-IRRELEVANT RANT COMING AHEAD!
~~~~~

Now, going off on a tangent here, but imagine this being an actual system. I mean, the next Facebook or something like that (or your ratings on Yahoo games). Like, you register with an official handle that you can change in time, right?

The whole thing is networked with a central server or a "second internet" where the system is "nuke proof" because there is no "center". That way you can update your stats at any time, anywhere, and without "server knockouts".

So you register and you claim your stats, right? FROM NOW ON I AM GOING TO GIVE AN EXAMPLE FOR SOMEONE REGISTERING AT PRO.

You have to provide a minimum of 20 or 30 different AAAs/Quad stars with machine data/pics to register as a pro. If any of the first 20 or 30 pics are proven to be false, then you are automatically demoted a class or two, even if it's just one. Just like DDRecall or something. So if someone comes out of left field having Quadded all songs in ITG2 and Vertex^2's proof is forged, game over.

So you're a Pro now and you are given a base score of 500. You challenge someone who is in the same class as you and you lose 1 point. You lose to someone a class below yours and you lose 2, and so on. For those in the lower classes, it works kind of the same. Only when you beat someone higher than your level you gain 2 points and so on. Your class not only depends on your skill average, but your score (or, alternatively, you have two classes. Score and consistent skill.)

450+ makes you a Pro.
400 makes you a 1st+.
350 makes you a 1st.
300 makes you a 2nd.
250 makes you a 3rd.
200 makes you a Noob (don't worry, though, because when you register as a Noob, you'll start at 200. Below 200 will still list you as a Noob, but passing a 3rd class will give you 3 points instead of 2).

Now, how can we make sure that people don't exploit this system? Simple!

Challenge system. You send another player a challenge. "I challenge you to a match!" Then, publically (people can see on your profile), you guys can set up the match or matches. You can say that the the winner is for each game or a set of games total.

So the challenger does his job. Find the player, ask for a challenge, make it a ranking match or for fun, and name the songs. The challengee can accept or deny the challenge. If the challenge has not been replied to in a month, the challenge is automatically deleted. The challengee can revise one or two songs and "Demand for Proof" (more on this in a moment). If revised, the challenge goes back to the challenger. After 10 revisions the challenge is cancelled, for the sake of not wasting anyones time and "keeping it in private messages".

Demand for proof is a mandatory option for the challengee (possibly for the challenger too), who can say that for the match(es), there MUST be proof of player 1 or player 2 being the winner if either person claims the other person is lying. If Demand for Proof is denied, then you cannot claim the other person is lying, because you didn't agree to make sure beforehand to prevent such an incident.

FOR EXAMPLE: LilQ challenges Yasu on Max 300. Yasu agrees to "Demand for Proof" and agrees to the challenge. Yasu claims to have beaten LilQ, giving him +1. LilQ contests against this claim, saying he has won. Then it is up to Yasu or LilQ to provide proof, which is reviewed by a human. If neither player provides proof, then nothing happens and the scores remain the same.

I have other stuff in mind, but I kinda got lost when describing the whole score system. So... excuse me while I relax my brain...

drool.gif

~~~~~~
END OF RANT
~~~~~~

And then, in the distant future, Suko's brain or a simulated brain will be implemented. And he will go down in history as the one who inadvertently brought upon The System. Maybe it will be called The S2 (The Suko System).
Vandel.M
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thats so true i like your idea seems a little complicated though to me but cool it would take a while
mb41186
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider myself either first class or first class plus.. probably inbetween lol..
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm second class
View users profile Send private message
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yay, I've passed noob and am now 3rd class!

Boy do I need a ton of practice, gah. Of course, I only started playing DDR in mid-May and ITG in late August and I am 54. So, this is gonna take a long time!

Will be very happy if I can make it to 2nd class E1.gif
T-14
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhere in between 1st class+ and Pro Class. That prerequisite, getting a 98% or higher on all charts under 13, is almost impossible, but I do have every 9, 10, and 11 ***'d and I have over 125 AAA's on SuperNOVA. I'm really trying to learn double now, I'm already OK at it but I know I can pull a 97% average at least on Expert.
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo i'm 1st class I never played ITG though

the point system seems kind of confusing

That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of the point system as something DDRecall could be. It's already 75% what I described. The only thing it's missing from what I described is...

- A system where people formally challenge each other
- Skill points based on your average of overall scores
- A foolproof way for people to gain and lose points when versing each other.

It's a shame I can't make a site for crap to make my ideas come to fruition.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Class + and OMG PRO sort of overlap for me... so this might need some revision:

-Plays almost exclusively in Heavy/Challenge or Expert mode. [Yes]
-Has cleared or can clear all official stepcharts. (Vertex^2, Pluto Relinquish, etc) [Everything except vertex^2 because it's crap]
-Has at least 40+ (traditional) AAAs or ***s. [yes, 52 expert ***s]
-Has at least five ****'s in ITG's Hard or Expert mode or 4 FMC AAAs in SuperNova 2's Hard or Chaellenge difficulty (or an equal equivalent to these prerequisites). [I probably do - never kept track].

-AAAs are more comon than AAs. [Nobody gets more AAAs than AAs in a single day unless they want to show off - black flags on the other hand... I will go with that].
-You have achieved 99% on all songs with a difficulty of 9 or less. [Yes]
-You have cleared all songs in the 10 - 13 range, with a 98% or higher. [No, but getting there...]

The cleared all songs 10-13 with ** or higher is about right for "PRO", these are the kinds of people that would beat you at Rocky Mount. 1% is a little generous though. Going from who I see on the tournament scene, and scoring ability, ~80 people would fit into this category. It's pretty rare...[/b]
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
I was going to try to figure out what percentile I was in, until I realized the percents added up to 109% E19.gif

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not sure if it makes sense, but here was how I saw it: Consider ALL the people who play on an ITG machine. From the little kid who plays one round, gets bored, and walks away, to a person like Kyle Ward or LilQ. If you were to stand there all day and 100 people came in, how many would fall into the noob category? The majority will, so lets say 70%. Or 70 out of the 100 people. Then we start paying attention to everyone else. However, certain skill levels overlap. (i.e. a Pro will obviously qualify as all the other classes by default). So while pro only means 1/300 players or less that play, pro's also fit the category of 1st, 2nd, and noob class. So, in a way, they also count as a head in those categories as well. Same can be said for each class down the ladder.

I'm sure my math is atrocious and that this doesn't really make sense in real life, so if there's someone out there who wants to help me refine these numbers, let me know.

Quote:
First Class + and OMG PRO sort of overlap for me... so this might need some revision

True. Everything here is very unrefined still. I didn't intend for people to be 100% in one Class or another. My thoughts where that a player is in a class (example: 2nd Class) then they would keep checking off the requirements for the next Class (1st Class) until they completed all the prereqs. They would not be considered a 1st Class player until they have completed all the prerequisites for that class. Kinda like how it is for merit badges in Boy Scouts, or achievements in XBox live.

This was why I created 1st Class+, because I felt like there might be a bit too much of a gap between 1st Class and Pro players. You also have to give props to those guys that are that much better than a 1st Class player, but still have yet to obtain Pro status.

I'm debating whether or not every class should have a + rank. This is a question I'd like the communities input on.

Quote:

The cleared all songs 10-13 with ** or higher is about right for "PRO", these are the kinds of people that would beat you at Rocky Mount. 1% is a little generous though. Going from who I see on the tournament scene, and scoring ability, ~80 people would fit into this category. It's pretty rare...

You're right. I've adjusted it to less than .5%, which I hope is a bit more accurate.

Quote:
I'm somewhere in between 1st class+ and Pro Class. That prerequisite, getting a 98% or higher on all charts under 13, is almost impossible, but I do have every 9, 10, and 11 ***'d and I have over 125 AAA's on SuperNOVA. I'm really trying to learn double now, I'm already OK at it but I know I can pull a 97% average at least on Expert.

I don't think that it is impossible, and achieving Pro status is not supposed to be easy. Remember, under 13 does not include 13s, just 1-12.

Is this requirement too ridiculous? Perhaps. This is why I want everyone's input. I am not at this level, in fact I'm closer to 1st Class+ (but not quite there yet). So my knowledge of what should be required for Pro class is not going to be very accurate. Why don't a few of you Pros (or almost Pros) out there give me some suggestions on what the prereqs SHOULD be. Remember the skill spacing between the other classes - I'm trying to achieve a similar skill gap between 1st Class+ and Pro.

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
I was wondering whether the class ranks should be renamed. I love the idea, but the problem I see with the names selected is that we must move the ranks up each time a new category is discovered (what was once first class might become second class). This is because the starting point (first) is set as the highest as opposed to starting with the lowest and counting up. So, I was wondering if it would be better to rename the ranks as tyro, rank one, rank two, rank three, and so on.

Yeah, I thought of this too, but across the globe, 1st class is more prestigious than 3rd class. This is seen in airlines, trains, boats, and numerous other places. If we do need to drastically expand the system, I imagine simply pushing the lower ranks back. So the old 2nd Class would become the new 3rd Class and the old 3rd Class would be made into a new 4th Class category.

Also, this is why I called 1st Class+ what it is. I want people to know that this is still technically within the rank of 1st Class, but the players designated with a (+) ranking indicate that they're significantly above their relative peers. The + system might also be very useful to implement on the lower ranks too. Time (and player comments) will determine this.

Last edited by Suko on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering whether the class ranks should be renamed. I love the idea, but the problem I see with the names selected is that we must move the ranks up each time a new category is discovered (what was once first class might become second class). This is because the starting point (first) is set as the highest as opposed to starting with the lowest and counting up. So, I was wondering if it would be better to rename the ranks as tyro, rank one, rank two, rank three, and so on. Of course, the word tyro is sort of a working name as I foresee the problem of people not agreeing on word preference (possibilities include novice, rookie, amateur, beginner, newbie, rank zero, etc.). Perhaps, rank zero would be best then. Anyway, this is not an expert opinion, so feel free to criticize or ignore my nonsense. I am merely third class (rank one?). Oddly, I can pass a number of In The Groove nines, but I cannot pass most Dance Dance Revolution nines (I can't pass some eight-footers, yet I can consistently score an A on Matsuri Japan heavy and sometimes full combo In The Navy heavy E2.gif ). I think I am used to hands and gallops now, but I have trouble with crossovers and taps/jackhammers or whatever they are called (are taps only two or three?) as well as fast jumps. Of course, this is mostly home play -- I do not believe I have ever AAed any heavy song on the arcade. I have had an idea of designing stats for players. You know how video game characters are often rated by speed, attack power, etc. I was thinking skill can be illustrated by these stats: speed, stamina, endurance, balance, coordination, agility, adaptability, sight-reading, rhythm, precision, style (flair of moves, non-essential stat). Maybe we could design a groove radar for players...

www.stayonsync.com/forum

Last edited by pleasedon'thurtme on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: