Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Using Weights to Train

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Using Weights to Train Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a guide to help users with using weights to increase endurance and speed at DDR/ITG/PIU (ok PIU wasn't mentioned, but still applies)

Using Weights to Improve

I also use a training method that works with the weight regimen to beat 10 footers (or to improve overall).

Let me know what you think!

-N8

Something Extra:

Attacking 10s
View users profile Send private message
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In every thread that's been started here concerning ankle weights, the consensus is, don't do it. The only smart thing in this write-up is that the guy is recommending only using a half pound or less. That being the case, it'd make more sense to me to just train in a heavier pair of shoes. It'd have the same effect, but feel way more natural.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend a heavier pair of shoes because it sacrifices performance you gain from a good pair of shoes that are light. Like traction, for instance. Also, a bigger (thicker) shoe makes it harder to feel how hard your foot is pressing against the sensor. Bulky shoes are awkward anyway.
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja N8 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend a heavier pair of shoes because it sacrifices performance you gain from a good pair of shoes that are light. Like traction, for instance. Also, a bigger (thicker) shoe makes it harder to feel how hard your foot is pressing against the sensor. Bulky shoes are awkward anyway.

WTF? You're talking about "sacrificing performance" and "awkwardness" when the subject is playing with ankle weights??
Haoie
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping is a nightmare with any weights. The rest, not too bad.
Tonight
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, look at it this way.

I wear a shoe that isn't comfortable that is heavier so I can train

versus...

I wear shoes that I am comfortable training in (and is more appropriate for technical play) and use an adjustable weight on my ankle.

I can't control how heavy the shoe is, but I can control how heavy the weight is.

Not to mention the weights only get dangerous if you don't know how to use them properly... the same goes with:

1. Not stretching
2. Over playing
3. Playing while injured

and so on...
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't speak to the idea of using ankle weights as a way to increase endurance and speed as far as rhythm games, I can tell you that I have seen MANY injuries from people using ankle weights back in the day when aerobics were the "thing".

I was personally told by an orthopedist (had to have knee surgery - not from wearing ankle weights) that those can be very damaging to hips, knees, ankles, feet even, along with all the tendons and ligaments.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use ankle weights while playing ddr/itg or anything else that involves a lot of movement, especially fast movement - even "songs you know". Haven't you ever kind of spaced out or forgot there was that step/combo in a song?

Ankle weights were originally mostly used in floorwork/sculpting classes for inner and outer thigh work and even then people ended up with injuries from using too much weight or using the ankle weights incorrectly (which is far more common than you'd think!).
jesusfr3ak4evr
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja N8 wrote:
Well, look at it this way.

I wear a shoe that isn't comfortable that is heavier so I can train

versus...

I wear shoes that I am comfortable training in (and is more appropriate for technical play) and use an adjustable weight on my ankle.

I can't control how heavy the shoe is, but I can control how heavy the weight is.

Not to mention the weights only get dangerous if you don't know how to use them properly... the same goes with:

1. Not stretching
2. Over playing
3. Playing while injured

and so on...
Can you talk about over playing and playing while injured a bit? I'm afraid I might be overplaying, since because I only get to play occasionally, when I play I feel like I have to get the most out of it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja N8 wrote:
You're talking like someone who's never tried to play in ankle weights. They're as awkward and uncomfortable as all fuck.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

You are best at knowing what your limits are... but if you aren't sure, here are (the extremes) of knowing that you are overplaying/overdoing it:

Nausea/vomiting
Dizziness
Limping or difficulty walking
Cotton mouth
Sharp pain (anywhere)
Headache/migrane
Muscle stiffness

Also keep a look out for this:

Pain or cramping in your muscles after 24 hours.

(Note - some burning or mild pain is normal. It should not be sharp in nature at all).

------------------

If you don't get to play often, keep in mind that your body will not perform the same if your gap between plays is too large.

If your normal regimen looks like this...

<rest>

and you quit playing for a month, you won't be able to do this regimen with the same consistency or endurance. I had a hiatus back in 03' where I didn't play for three months, and before the hiatus, I was doing the regimen above. Since I was running in the mean time, my endurance didn't suffer, but I had to *get used* to the game again. So, it took me a few weeks of playing (twice a week) to get back to where I was.

If you can't make it to a machine as often, get in other kinds of leg exercise... like leg lifts, squats, running, etc.

I'll write a more detailed version to this in my blog so it doesn't turn into a TL;DR.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
Ninja N8 wrote:
You're talking like someone who's never tried to play in ankle weights. They're as awkward and uncomfortable as all fuck.

You probably used 5lb ankle weights to play in and I wouldn't blame you if they were awkward. 5lb ankle weights are really crazy to use especially if you are trying to do 10s in them. I tried using 5lb ones on max 300 and it was a miracle I didn't trip on my own legs. I couldn't control how my legs were moving nearly as well and it really took a bite out of my reaction time. This is why I am advising adjustable ankle weights and starting out at 1/2 lb.
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberlands = Uncomfortable
Ankle Weights not used properly = Pain
Timberlands + Ankle Weights not used properly = Uncomfortable Pain (wut).

While I prefer wearing shoes that are a tad heavier than wearing ankle weights (better yet, buying ankle weights for such a purpose), I can see where Mr. Ninja here is going and it looks like the ideal way of training given you know how to do it properly.

But what ever happened to the good ol' days of just doing simple calve and hamstring exercises?
NOAAAH
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja N8 wrote:
Sure.

You are best at knowing what your limits are... but if you aren't sure, here are (the extremes) of knowing that you are overplaying/overdoing it:

Nausea/vomiting
Dizziness
Limping or difficulty walking
Cotton mouth
Sharp pain (anywhere)
Headache/migrane
Muscle stiffness

Also keep a look out for this:

Pain or cramping in your muscles after 24 hours.

(Note - some burning or mild pain is normal. It should not be sharp in nature at all).

------------------

If you don't get to play often, keep in mind that your body will not perform the same if your gap between plays is too large.

If your normal regimen looks like this...

<rest>

and you quit playing for a month, you won't be able to do this regimen with the same consistency or endurance. I had a hiatus back in 03' where I didn't play for three months, and before the hiatus, I was doing the regimen above. Since I was running in the mean time, my endurance didn't suffer, but I had to *get used* to the game again. So, it took me a few weeks of playing (twice a week) to get back to where I was.

If you can't make it to a machine as often, get in other kinds of leg exercise... like leg lifts, squats, running, etc.

I'll write a more detailed version to this in my blog so it doesn't turn into a TL;DR.

Wow, I looked at this topic not even caring about using ankle weights, and I end up learning some really good information.

Thanks Ninja N8!
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends uses a total of 5 pounds between both ankles when he plays. I don't, because my right ankle sometimes hurts when I start to play, but it seems fine once I get warmed up.
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consensus is weights on your ankles aren't the healthiest.

A better alternative is to cross train.

Because endurance is the issue, the idea is to target the endurance based muscles: The slow twitch muscle fibers.

That means many heel rises are good for the calves.
Doing squats to help the hamstrings and quads are essential too. E13.gif
Especially if you're an ITG player.

For us skinny people:
-Start out slow, learn your limits
-Then after you get accustomed: Use large weights to gain mass
-After a couple weeks, work solely on endurance

STRETCH!!
That means after your workout and after you warm up before you workout.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
v4extreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and well-written guides.

http://www.youtube.com/user/v4extreme
http://ddr.ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=5721
http://beatspace.net/Profile.aspx?uid=422
Quincy
Basic Member
Basic Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Weights to Train Reply with quote

Uhhhh...what is cotton mouth?
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your mouth and throat gets really, really dry.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: