Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR X difficulty-rating guide

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: DDR X difficulty-rating guide Reply with quote

For those just getting into DDRX, or awaiting the arcade release; here's a quick little guide to help you get to the right "stepchart rating" for you.

1-5: Pretty much identical to past 10-foot scale releases, such as EXTREME/SuperNOVA. However, since older games were rated on a 1-8 or 1-9 scale, you may see some levels make marginal, but fair jumps. The ratings of the X-edits are a good example of this, such as HERO (once 4/8, is now a 6).

*If you liked "3-footers" with long, continual stepping patterns to them, you'll want to play the new 4's, now. E13.gif

6-7: This is about where the old "4-5 jump" in difficulty takes place; perpindicular jumps begin appearing (left.gif down.gif , for example) more often, and half-beats begin appearing in 3-7 step spurts.

8-9: This is that third tier of stepcharts where everything that used to be "7" seems to squish into. The new "9" seems to be where crossovers are introduced, and possibly the "skipping/galloping" margin as well.

10-13: These are where the usually more deeply involved heavy charts (technical 8's and 9's) fall into, as there tends to be some grey area where that's considered. Both the stepchart count and the tempo are taken into account as well, elminating some inconsistencies (like HYPN0TIC CRISIS = DEAD END = CARTOON HEROES, for example).

13-14: The easier side of former 10-footers, and the harder side of 9-footers find their way here. This (should) include stages such as Unreal, PARANOiA Survivor, and Healing-D-Vision (Heavy).

15-16: Typical "MAX" range of stages, 15 = MAX 300 is pretty much the effective standard, though some average tempo/high-density charts fit here as well, like Xepher (Challenge) and possibly MAD BLAST.

17-18: These are typically the "there's no way you'll ever get through the last 20-40 seconds of this song" charts. PARANOiA Survivor MAX (Oni), Pluto Relinquish, Fascination anything generally fits here.

So far as I can tell, this new system only appears to be a 1-18 level system. Even the new DDRX stages so far only go that high.

Play DDR PwrMix today!

I am not affiliated with Konami, Dancemania, or any related company. This project is intended for fanart/fanservice purposes only.

Last edited by Nightime on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
littlekev0
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems like it does go only up to 18, for now. They will probably eventually introduce 19's and 20's with whatever future releases they decide to put out. The same like when they introduced 10's with Max2. I have a feeling that DDR may have a X2 or something like that (in the near future)! Just like Max, Max2, Extreme, Extreme2, Supernova, Supernova2, now X, and hopefully an X2! I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself, huh? As for stepcharts, I still think a couple of songs were rated wrong, Pluto, for example, is not THAT hard, and neither is Sunkiss Drop! (Btw, how DID Sunkiss Drop go from a 7 to, what is it, a 12 I believe?).
View users profile Send private message
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlekev0 wrote:
As for stepcharts, I still think a couple of songs were rated wrong, Pluto, for example, is not THAT hard, and neither is Sunkiss Drop! (Btw, how DID Sunkiss Drop go from a 7 to, what is it, a 12 I believe?).

Well, Pluto is hard to LEARN, especially given that second stop-and-go section, though it's more gimmick-difficult than physically difficult. And I think SUNKiSS was compared to exotic ethnic in one forum, between the crossovers and jumps, somewhat sarcastically - and I think that got taken seriously! E4.gif
littlekev0
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol!
Yeah, I guess you're right about that one! I can only imagine what exotic ethnic would be rated if it WAS on X, although, once crossovers are learned and mastered, neither one is THAT bad! But, I do believe exotic ethnic was a 9, which would probably translate to maybe a 12 if it were on X? But Sunkiss was only a 7, so maybe at the most it should have been a 10, but then again, alot of people were complaining that Sunkiss was misrated when it was on Supernova 2, because it was over 400 combos! As for Pluto, yeah, the stop-and-go sections does throw me off, I did surprise myself when I did pass it! laugh.gif
jobber123rd
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightime wrote:
littlekev0 wrote:
As for stepcharts, I still think a couple of songs were rated wrong, Pluto, for example, is not THAT hard, and neither is Sunkiss Drop! (Btw, how DID Sunkiss Drop go from a 7 to, what is it, a 12 I believe?).

Well, Pluto is hard to LEARN, especially given that second stop-and-go section, though it's more gimmick-difficult than physically difficult. And I think SUNKiSS was compared to exotic ethnic in one forum, between the crossovers and jumps, somewhat sarcastically - and I think that got taken seriously! E4.gif

The comparison I saw was to CSFILSM, and I'd say it was a good one -- it doesn't have the gallops or jackhammers, but the higher speed, length, and amount of crossovers/turning make up for it somewhat.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightime wrote:
littlekev0 wrote:

Well, I've just gotten 99.9% of dance master mode done - I'm comfortable with 5 footers, sometimes 6 depending on the song.

Pluto of course came up and it IS hard to learn. Seems many of the songs in X have the stop/start "gimmick", along with shock arrows.

The worst song so far for me is ... Trigger. My feet just DO NOT move that fast, heck I can't even read the arrows that fast - and that was the last song I had to beat ... epic fail.

*le sigh* on the stepchart footer "conversion" ... here I was all totally proud of myself for passing (between A and C depending) some 8 and 9 footers in DMM. Oh well, maybe that means I must be getting a little better, at least at sight reading? Cause I didn't know most of the songs at all.
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing stuff like Master Modes will do that! It was a month or two after EX2 was released, when suddenly all of the pro players were AAA-mania on arcade Extreme. There were a few months after that where I got about 33 of them! It IS shocking!
FreshApple300
Basic Member
Basic Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Hard to explain... Reply with quote

Actually, songs like Votum Stellarum contain perpindicular (corner) jumps and still earns a 4. E19.gif So, you can't always directly convert difficulty ratings.

Yes, Sunkiss Drop's a crossover-turning galore.

Here are some of the songs that were rated incorrectly (i think E7.gif ):
Shades Of Grey (Expert rating: 8) New rating: 9 (7)
Stealth (Expert rating: 8) New Rating: 10 (7)*
Poseidon (Expert rating: 8) New Rating: 10 (7)*
Trust -DanceDanceRevolution Mix- (Expert rating: 8) New rating: 9 (7)

*Ok, these songs are equivalent to 8 footers, but it's as simple as you can think. Poseidon isn't a big deal in the slow section because they follow the rhythm with the slow tempo. [/i]
SEXY BEAST
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just divide the DDRX rating by 1.5 to get the approximate old foot rating.

16-20=Flashing 10 footers
15=10 footers
13-14=9 footers or tough 8's
12=8 footers
10-11=7 footers

Dance Master 2005
Stellar Master 2006
Hyper Master 2007
Street Master 2008
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: