Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ddr fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

80. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
I disagree, I think ITG is even worse on a home pad. Dedicabs rule, plus unless you have ITG PC, you can only play ITG1 at home, and you can't play custom songs. Home pads just suck.

SM3.95 + ITG1/2 songs + ITG2 ARCADE RIPPED theme pretty much is ITG2AC.

Add two bluesharks and your pretty good to go (given the arcade sensors bit, recession, etc). Not perfect, but transition from ITG2 style stepmania (set up like this) to ITG2 AC would be pretty easy if not nearly seamless. (note I did not say absolutely seamless).

So we don't kill each other: on the main topic:

DDR/ITG/PumP dead? Hardly IMO. Everything is cyclical, some places may be on a decline, others on the rebound, but DDR is one of those games - hell, "dance simulation" games in general won't go anywhere anytime soon.
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

81. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could certainly get a nice setup like that, with a good screen and speakers too. I meant in general I suppose, because most people's home setups aren't like that. Plus I enjoy going to the arcade biggrin.gif

I do wish the games were more popular though, the arcade is a good social area with friends.
Trick Member
Trick Member

82. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could find more places around here that took care of their poor dance machines, whether they be ITG, DDR, or even PIU (which I still haven't tried... maybe this weekend.)
Trick Member
Trick Member

83. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our beloved rhythm games are not yet dead, are they in danger of dying? Also, is it possible for all to seem well then suddenly the phenomenon dies? If I have not clarified before, this is what we need to know how to prevent. Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove may not be dead yet, but how do we keep them alive and well?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

84. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only so much within the player's power to keep a community alive. At one point every Pac Man machine that could be found probably had a group of "regular" players. Now there's probably just "that one guy" who always plays it.

Gaming communities fade and evolve over time. The Street Fighter community has been going strong since SFII hit over a 15 years ago. This is probably because of a combination of good games being released regularly, a continuing interest from both new and old players, and the availability of play locations world wide.

While we have no power over what Konami chooses to give us (or take away from us...ITG), we do have our part. The best advice I can give anyone who wants to see this community survive is simple; don't be a dick. You heard me. Stop it. No one wants you to pwn them at the game, just so you have your chance to play. No one likes dancing to an obviously good player who simply scowls at you until you get off THEIR machine. Being friendly, supportive, and open to people who do try out the game is key. If they had a positive experience when they played, then they'll likely come back.

I started trying to get to know the local players better (both the good and bad ones) in my town, and eventually I was able to get a community going. Before you knew it we were rocking out on our ITG machine like it was 2003 all over again.

The key to a community is the social aspect, so don't hesitate to get to know your fellow players. Even if they're not very good when you meet them, that doesn't mean they won't get better and kick your arse some day!

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

85. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:

The best advice I can give anyone who wants to see this community survive is simple; don't be a dick. You heard me. Stop it. No one wants you to pwn them at the game, just so you have your chance to play. No one likes dancing to an obviously good player who simply scowls at you until you get off THEIR machine. Being friendly, supportive, and open to people who do try out the game is key. If they had a positive experience when they played, then they'll likely come back.

I completely agree. I've had run-ins with DDR players who are complete and total dicks to any who doesn't play on Heavy, looking all depressed and angry because IT'S SO IMPORTANT THAT THEY MUST ABSOLUTELY PLAY MACKS THREE HUNDRED RIGHT NOW!!!!111one111!!!!! They always seem to get pissed whenever I or someone else tells them that they were once a beginner player too.

If someone is playing on beginner, I'll often give them tips on how to get better, and if someone wants to play but doesn't have enough quarters/tokens, I'll often pay for their games. And almost every time they are thankful. Most people aren't thankful when some douchebag says they suck and that they should get off the pad etc. I wouldn't be.
View users profile Send private message
matteh
Basic Member
Basic Member

86. PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
GospelEXE wrote:
ITG offers a greater challenge, and a MUCH WIDER selection of songs...

ITG: 137
Supernova: 300+

137<300
but with itg pc you can have custom songs.

View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
sheep
Trick Member
Trick Member

87. PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With r21 / hacked dedis you also have a practically unlimited songlist. DDR can't compare to an r21'd ITG machine in terms of variety.
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

88. PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureBlue wrote:
Suko wrote:

The best advice I can give anyone who wants to see this community survive is simple; don't be a dick. You heard me. Stop it. No one wants you to pwn them at the game, just so you have your chance to play. No one likes dancing to an obviously good player who simply scowls at you until you get off THEIR machine. Being friendly, supportive, and open to people who do try out the game is key. If they had a positive experience when they played, then they'll likely come back.

I completely agree. I've had run-ins with DDR players who are complete and total dicks to any who doesn't play on Heavy, looking all depressed and angry because IT'S SO IMPORTANT THAT THEY MUST ABSOLUTELY PLAY MACKS THREE HUNDRED RIGHT NOW!!!!111one111!!!!! They always seem to get pissed whenever I or someone else tells them that they were once a beginner player too.

If someone is playing on beginner, I'll often give them tips on how to get better, and if someone wants to play but doesn't have enough quarters/tokens, I'll often pay for their games. And almost every time they are thankful. Most people aren't thankful when some douchebag says they suck and that they should get off the pad etc. I wouldn't be.

God I hate elitists... They're the ones that make themselves look like anti-social nerds with no lives what so ever.

Beginners.. They got to start somewhere!

It's the elitists that this community isn't growing at a steady rate.
Now, it's no one's fault that the community is deteriorating. Times are changing.

Pretty demoralizing and discouraging for a douchebag elitist to boo and hiss at a beginner, right?
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
juuni
Trick Member
Trick Member

89. PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da-RiSiN-sMoKe wrote:
Pretty demoralizing and discouraging for a douchebag elitist to boo and hiss at a beginner, right?

They really shouldn't be doing that because we were all beginners too

I'm pretty happy at beginners for trying become a part of this game

Blah elitists are mean
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

90. PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to encourage growth from the beginners and intermediate players - some have embraced the idea and some just wanna keep scaring them off.

If you see someone who is learning how to play and they are pretty new to the game, I really hope you encourage them to stay and play with you.

It's really hard keeping new people to the scene...
NAOKi SYNDROME
Trick Member
Trick Member

91. PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR is like a MMO that completely relies on your rage against the shark and the community. The system, as far as addictive cycles are concerned, is fairly bad.

Amen to the anti-elitist blurb.
v4extreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

92. PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
If our beloved rhythm games are not yet dead, are they in danger of dying? Also, is it possible for all to seem well then suddenly the phenomenon dies? If I have not clarified before, this is what we need to know how to prevent. Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove may not be dead yet, but how do we keep them alive and well?

beatspace.

http://www.youtube.com/user/v4extreme
http://ddr.ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=5721
http://beatspace.net/Profile.aspx?uid=422
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

93. PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITG is dying but DDR is not.
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

94. PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another part of the community getting stronger is the willingness of new players to socialize with much better players. I've been automatically stereo typed as an elitist because I play 3-4 hours at a time and I don't speak very much. However, when I do speak, I often offer tips on playing the game and people just don't want to hear me giving them advice on how to play because they don't like to be told they are "wrong". Though when people play Supernova 2 for the first time, they find it helpful that I show them how to navigate through the menus and what play style to choose.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

95. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
ITG is dying but DDR is not.

Yeah DDR is growing steadily and staying afloat.
Rockband is the craze.

ITG is currently fueled only by the fans.

Our intentions for ITG3 was for a fan based rebirth game, but I haven't heard anything, so that must mean it just died out.

Bagpipe hero and accordion warrior will dominate though! laugh.gif
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

96. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I have actually thought of names of parodies to Guitar Hero -- Bagpipe Buddy, Mandolin Maniac, Cello Chum, Piano Protagonist, Tambourine Tyrant, Lyre Lunatick, Accordian Allstar, Uber Ukele, etc.

Considering current rates, trends, and other factors, can we predict where Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove will be in a certain number of years -- how long do we have until the arcade cabinets are no longer available?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

97. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU FORGOT THIS ONE:

Cowbell Savior.

I'm sure they'll still make the games for a while (Sonic games are still being made if that says anything laugh.gif ), but arcades might stop buying the arcade machines and the series might turn into a home version-only game.
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

98. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
You know, I have actually thought of names of parodies to Guitar Hero -- Bagpipe Buddy, Mandolin Maniac, Cello Chum, Piano Protagonist, Tambourine Tyrant, Lyre Lunatick, Accordian Allstar, Uber Ukele, etc.

Considering current rates, trends, and other factors, can we predict where Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove will be in a certain number of years -- how long do we have until the arcade cabinets are no longer available?

The rich will get richer and poor will suffer.

As predicted, arcade owners will cut back on spending and will deny even more care to our cabinets which means they'll just get crappier.

I predict a rise in cost for machines, yes like you said, we only have a certain amount of machines left, and the number will diminish.

In the mean time, we'll learn to adapt and become DIYers.

I'll see I can invest in Stepmania so then I can make my own cabinet out of BlueShark pads, a nice PC, 1000w subwoofers, and a big logo! biggrin.gif
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
Sonick92
Trick Member
Trick Member

99. PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konami is a bunch of greedy money stealers. Extreme machines were clearly bootleg.(as it says on the screen after you put in your credit) You know....DDR US was the only patented 4-panel dancing game in the US. Konami clearly announced a stop to the production of DDR after DDREX. The people of RoXor and Andamiro teamed up to make a 4-panel dancing game that did it right. Konami caught onto it's success because it hurt their market. When a company makes a failing game their patent shouldn't be valid. On top of that...they announced the stop in production. How unfair is it to stop a genre of gaming just so they could milk the money??

Now its time to wait for Konami to go after Positive Gaming in Europe.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: